Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife is on the job hunt again. Things were just not working well at the gig she was at, and decided to be smart and get out while there was still a chance to.

This brings up a couple of quandaries in my life:

I've been waiting to hear from the new owners of the practice I'm covering in regards to bringing me on board full time and making me an offer. In the meantime, I have my other boss clamoring for me to get back to his office and spell him for a bit (he's got a bad shoulder that's getting worse) so I'm being pulled in a couple of different directions right now.

Here's the real problem. Since we're only married about 2 months at this point, we had decided that we wouldn't start talking about our grand future plans for another year or so. This little "opportunity" seems to have brought about that discussion again.

Ideally, we'd like to vacate the Hudson Valley, and basically leave New York entirely. We'd like to consider moving to Vermont at some point in the next few years, and now with her looking for a new job, and with myself being balanced between a couple different things, we're fighting the urge to say "screw it, let's get the hell out of here right now." The problem is, I'm not licensed in VT, and it would take a bit of time to get that processed. And having two people looking for jobs at the same time is really not an ideal situation.

So I ask the lounge, if you were in this spot, what would you do? Move on a wing and a prayer? Stick it out, sign a contract here for a year or two and hope she finds something? Or something completely different?

Ahh...it WAS such a restful weekend. Oh how that went downhill fast.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
Maybe send the wife up north first to job hunt, then if and when she lands a job you can follow later. A lot of people are out looking for jobs right now, depending on your cash reserves, 2 people out at the same time might be risky.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Start working on VT licensure now if you can. If/when something comes up it's easy to transition.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I'm assuming that you don't own a house that you would have to sell were you to move north. A good friend of mine was in a situation similar to yours, with the exception that he and his wife owned a house. The friend's wife looked for jobs both where they were living and were they wanted to live. She found a very good job in the latter place, took it and moved there. Everything ultimately worked out fine, but he had to stay behind for over a year because they could not find a buyer for their house. Funding two households for a few months or even a year is not optimal, but the chance that both of you will find jobs you want in the same place at the same time is not great. You may want to think about doing what my friend did (even though that it not the best way to spend your first year of marriage).

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Do you own enough flannel to move to Vermont?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
In general I have found that waiting for the circumstances to be just right, ultimately leads to fail, it ain't ever going to happen. If both of you are currently free of commitments then this sounds like as good a time as any to make a move. Winter is just a few months away, if necessary you could get a seasonal ski industry job while you look for other opportunities.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Plan the work and work the plan.

First thing I would do is............make no decisions yet.

I'd :

1.) Define the goal. Specificially.....where, when, what would success look like?
2.) What steps are necessary to acheive the goal?
3.) How will you, when will you, know that the goal is acheivable or not?
4.) begin working the plan.
5.) Evaluate and go back to 2.)
6.) Execute.

Here is the thing though....as long as you are willing to uproot....why limit yourself to one location like vermont? If you are going to take a risk, why not broaden your options and see what comes up?

How marketable are your wife's skills?....what about yours?

IMO

Len

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I just don't understand how you are so logical Len! It amazes me and makes me wonder every time you pull the proverbial rabbit out of your hat! Kudos once again for being the level headed one around here.

·
Banned
54 Posts
What is your profession? Your wife's profession? What are the market demands for these professions? I would think much of your decision would be based on the job market. If it (they) are high demand professions, go for it. You're only young and carefree once. If your professions are not currently in demand, wait it out until things turn around and times will indeed get better.

Myself, I'm the impulsive type believing things will always work out. Then again, I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts