Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,853 Posts
It is interesting that the death of a cyclist is rare enough to be news but when someone dies in a auto wreck there is nothing of note unless you are friends or family.

Of course on average something like 118 folks die in auto accidents in the US every day.

I'll take my chances on a bike.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,555 Posts
MB1 said:
It is interesting that the death of a cyclist is rare enough to be news but when someone dies in a auto wreck there is nothing of note unless you are friends or family.

Of course on average something like 118 folks die in auto accidents in the US every day.

I'll take my chances on a bike.
But the depressing pattern is that so many of these cyclist's deaths are inflicted by the irresponsible on those who contribute to our society and most likely would have continued to do so for a long time. That's what provokes the anger in me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
MB1 said:
Of course on average something like 118 folks die in auto accidents in the US every day.

I'll take my chances on a bike.
You know what would be interesting to me- to see how many cyclist bike on a regularly basis in the U.S. (I would define regular as twice a week)- or maybe ask how many cyclist commute to work. Then I would love to know how many are killed, and how many are seriously injured.

But I guess getting any of those stats, even roughly, would be impossible? :confused:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
It is hard for me to comprehend that someone could be that much under the influence at about 8:15 am. The speed limit on that piece of road is 40mph and is 4 lanes so the driver didn't even have to slow down to pass the riders. The picture of the front of the Lincoln Navigator was so torn up that I couldn't imagine how fast he was driving when he hit those poor folks.
 

· waterproof*
Joined
·
41,745 Posts
Kestreljr said:
You know what would be interesting to me- to see how many cyclist bike on a regularly basis in the U.S. (I would define regular as twice a week)- or maybe ask how many cyclist commute to work. Then I would love to know how many are killed, and how many are seriously injured.

But I guess getting any of those stats, even roughly, would be impossible? :confused:

Actually there's been a lot of research on this. You're correct that good data is hard to come by, so there's always argument over that. But the pattern seems to be that for a "serious" cyclist like us who follows basic traffic laws is no more or less dangerous per hour than being in a car. However the margin of error / variability in results is way high.

Tragic as this is, you have to figure that it's going to happen more often as more people ride, as our population grows and as suburban sprawl continues.

.
 

· World's 1st Anal-rapist
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
I ride that area often. There is NO excuse for him to be even close to those riders, unless it was intentional. I'll be curious to know what the legal outcome is.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
wim said:
But the depressing pattern is that so many of these cyclist's deaths are inflicted by the irresponsible on those who contribute to our society and most likely would have continued to do so for a long time. That's what provokes the anger in me.
Oh for god's sake. The same thing could be said for every car or motorcycle wreck too. Some idiot does something stupid and someone gets hurt. The person who gets hurt is a family member of someone, a productive person in some regard and will be missed. It has nothing to do with cycling. You put millions of drivers on the road at all times, and there will be someone who makes a mistake. It has nothing to do with cycling. The driver is no more or less negligent or evil whether he takes out a telephone pole, another driver or a cyclist.

I'm not justifying the incident at all. It's a real shame someone was killed. It's just that almost every (or every?) car incident - whether they be car v. car; car v. motorcycle, car v. pedestrian, car v. bike or car v. post involve some sort of operator error, either due to just random mistakes, blatant idiocy or carelessness or, very likely, drunkedness. Did I say it is in no way unique to cycling?

Defensive driving, defensive cycling, lightening will strike, hold people accountable for their actions.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top