Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to quote cycling4all. Non-sporting agencies leading the fight against doping apparently finding large quantiities of drugs in several cyclists home in Belgium. Including one of the old men of cyclocross Peter van Santvliet, Gert Omloop, and Dave Bruylandts who IIRC was one of the first guys busted by the EPO test, is he even back racing yet?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Very interested to see how this story develops. Sounds like mostly D-2 pros and second rate riders, but I wouldn't doubt it if a few big names get caught as well.

This only reinforces the need for police action as it seems to be the only effective way to catch these guys red handed. Dope tests are being brought under scrutiny like never before, and they don't seem to be catching any of the dopers!

Silas

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
According to Flemish TV the police were initially tracking down some cigarette smuggling gang and came across dope deliveries to certain riders. They found Chinese manufactured EPO and IGF-1, an untracable growth hormone that also make your heart grow without new bloodvessels to feed the new muscle with oxygen, dangerous stuff. They can't pinpoint one big supplier yet. Interesting to see that doping supplies seem to come from outsiders now. Makes me wonder what might come up if more police resources were allocated to fighting doping in sports.

·
Registered
652 Posts
rogger said:
Makes me wonder what might come up if more police resources were allocated to fighting doping in sports.
Cigarette smugglers = lost tax & betting revenue

Athletes who dope = lost faith in sport

Reallocated police funding to battle athletic doping = lost faith in the system; public outcry

Yeah. Let's do that, give more money to Dick and Friends. Because cops - and really, how about the whole justice system - doesn't need it as much as we need more gossip to fuel this silly forum on skinny white guys who like to ride them bi-cycles. Aren't most pros calling for less controls for cycling, one of the most rigorously tested sports?

Face it - if people want an advantage, no matter how illegal, there will be a market. Controlling this market in toto is impossible; even if drugs/doping were legal (and logically, taxed) people would still try to cheat the system. I'm not advocating the situation - hey, getting a heart tumor from IGF doesn't sound all that hot, no matter how many TdF victories you toss in my direction - but please realize that in the scheme of things, not even the police cared enough to look into the matter first. It was an outgrowth of another investigation. And I bet if you tossed the cops more money, investigating cyclists would probably be near the bottom of their list.

And if it's not? Tell me where this place is, because I've always wanted to live in Candyland.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Difference being...

2Fast2Furryious said:
Cigarette smugglers = lost tax & betting revenue

Athletes who dope = lost faith in sport

Reallocated police funding to battle athletic doping = lost faith in the system; public outcry

Yeah. Let's do that, give more money to Dick and Friends. Because cops - and really, how about the whole justice system - doesn't need it as much as we need more gossip to fuel this silly forum on skinny white guys who like to ride them bi-cycles. Aren't most pros calling for less controls for cycling, one of the most rigorously tested sports?

Face it - if people want an advantage, no matter how illegal, there will be a market. Controlling this market in toto is impossible; even if drugs/doping were legal (and logically, taxed) people would still try to cheat the system. I'm not advocating the situation - hey, getting a heart tumor from IGF doesn't sound all that hot, no matter how many TdF victories you toss in my direction - but please realize that in the scheme of things, not even the police cared enough to look into the matter first. It was an outgrowth of another investigation. And I bet if you tossed the cops more money, investigating cyclists would probably be near the bottom of their list.

And if it's not? Tell me where this place is, because I've always wanted to live in Candyland.
Difference being that in a lot of foreign countries, getting busted doping is not only a sporting offense, it is also criminal in a lot of places. So indeed, they do need to have the cops take charge in these investigations really, because it is considered a criminal act, at least in Belgium, and Italy, and France to name a few. It's not like in the US where if you get busted doping, they send you a FedEx envelope saying you tested positive for this or that, and your hearing is at such and such a time.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Unless..

you're driving under the influence of EPO...then you have a mandatory 3 days in jail, 1 year suspension, and you're sentenced to pick up highway garbage faster than the other inmates (anaerobic threshold speed).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bzzt, wrong. You must live on Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Caught with steroids, for example? Don't laugh, Slimjim - each year pro athletes & cyclists are busted for them. They could (and do) get slapped with possession of anabolic steroids, possession of hypodermic syringes and possession of hypodermic syringes with the intent to distribute.

It's called a controlled substance. It's a criminal act, just like in Europe. And even if you don't spend some time in PMITA prison, have fun explaining your paraphenalia/chimera/dog's medication.

Silas, don't say dopers don't get caught - read the UCI weekly communique on the subject.

More cops/more money will never solve the problem. Humans take their garbage and bad habits everywhere they go - cycling is no different, just a different set of people.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
2Fast2Furryious said:
Silas, don't say dopers don't get caught - read the UCI weekly communique on the subject.
Sure, some dopers get caught. Like I said, police action seems like the most effective method. The guys who were caught possessing products were undoubtedly using them, and passing drug tests. A lot of this stuff can't be tested for. If they can't test for a drug, why pretend the problem is solved with testing? I'm happy that they are serious about this in France, Belgium, Italy, etc.

Silas

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
SilasCL said:
... police action seems like the most effective method.
Yeah, they have certainly done a bang up job with pot, meth, crack, heroin, etc.

If cyclists want to submit to private 24 hour surveillance, testing, and punishments in order to be pros that's great but otherwise there is a willing buyer and willing seller and unless a dispute arises between the 2 it's nobody else's business. Making it illegal will only diminish the scope of everyone else's freedoms in the pursuit of a goal that will never be reached and result in unintended consequences far worse than the original "problem".

·
Registered
29 Posts
The doping problem has only two possible solutions that I can see now.

First, legalize it, don't criticize it. The problem here is that some crazies will allways push the envelope and over-dose. Results -- serious illnesses and deaths. In fact, this already happens (but not counting El Pirate, no big stars have scumbed yet). Another problem is that good cyclists will get beat by lesser talents willing who are desparat and williing to risk their health or life.

Second, reverse the burden of proof. That is, make every top cyclist prove he is clean by submitting to 52 weekly tests a year, year in and year out. Hell daily test is that is necessary. Indeed, if the cyclist want us to believe that they are real athletes putting in real athletic performances and want our real dollars in their real pockets, then I do not think this is unreasonable invasion of privacy. And, who has the "right" to cheat and rake in big bucks by duping the public anyhow?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts