Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jalabert, one of the greats of cycling having his name sullied by some no good snitch. It couldn't be possible that a guy who left France after the Festina affair and introduction of the mandatory health checks by the French cycling federation could have been doping? I remember him saying at the time, riders were professionals and it was up to them to look after their own "recovery" (this seems to have been a widely used term when admitting to doping in so many words). I don't understand, did Jalabert every test positive? Surely he was one of the most "widely tested" professional cyclists of his day. Now the heads in the sand people will think this somehow diminishes his great accomplishments.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun20news2

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Jalabert, one of the greats of cycling having his name sullied by some no good snitch. It couldn't be possible that a guy who left France after the Festina affair and introduction of the mandatory health checks by the French cycling federation could have been doping? I remember him saying at the time, riders were professionals and it was up to them to look after their own "recovery" (this seems to have been a widely used term when admitting to doping in so many words). I don't understand, did Jalabert every test positive? Surely he was one of the most "widely tested" professional cyclists of his day. Now the heads in the sand people will think this somehow diminishes his great accomplishments.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun20news2
Oh, and you forgot to mention that for much of his career, he was also racing under a DS who seems to have an unusual proclivity for carrying large sums of cash when meeting self-styled Gynocologists in cafés in Madrid ... do I need to mention the freezer bag full of blood packets?

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

In Jalabert's "defense", Roux only mentions the former's recreational use of "pot belge"

I'll end with some completely unrelated and random snippets of folk wisdom that certainly don't apply to Jalabert, Armstrong Riis, etc, etc...

"Where there's smoke, there's fire"
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a .... (non not duck)"
-- text in the parenthesis brought to you by the UCI.

A+

Philippe

Oh, and by the way, WADA pounded (can I get a rimshot, please?) the UCI report on Lance's pee showing signs of EPO use in 1999 today (note, unlike Vrijman, I differentiate between a positive test in the sense of an anti-doping test protocol and the revealed presence of EPO in a urine sample) -- fanboys around the world will now wail and gnash their teeth at the untolerable injustice of the witchhunt led against the Worlds Most Tested But Never Found Negative Athlete! I sense a storm on the horizon....

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
philippec said:
Oh, and by the way, WADA pounded (can I get a rimshot, please?) the UCI report on Lance's pee showing signs of EPO use in 1999 today (note, unlike Vrijman, I differentiate between a positive test in the sense of an anti-doping test protocol and the revealed presence of EPO in a urine sample) -- fanboys around the world will now wail and gnash their teeth at the untolerable injustice of the witchhunt led against the Worlds Most Tested But Never Found Negative Athlete! I sense a storm on the horizon....
I think not. Lance has won the PR war big time. I agree with you, Lance can never be declared positive, but there's real high probability that he was using EPO in the '99 Tour. Thing is I could care less, I was never a big fan of his because I didn't like exclusive focus on the Tour. But I don't think the fact that he was doping diminishes anything he has accomplished in cycling or especially the great work he has done for cancer research, etc.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
But I don't think the fact that he was doping diminishes anything he has accomplished in cycling or especially the great work he has done for cancer research, etc.
I'll agree with that -- he could scoot up a hill like nobody's business after he came back in 1998. He was already rocking at the Vuelta and at the World's that year. Those who might care re. his likely EPO use in 99 are those who weren't hitting the good stuff and saw their performances come to naught despite their best efforts... but perhaps we are only talking about a small share of the peleton here....

A+

Philippe

G

·
I just read the cyclingnews commentary and then came here. If this is what is coming from the fallout of the Festina affair - can you imagine what the fallout will be from the Saiz affair!

It's sounding like the top cyclists had access to the "good stuff" and the rest had to settle for more 'common' drugs. My head hasn't been in the sand - it's clear doping has been going on for some time, but the scale of drug use in Cycling (and many other sports) is becoming mind boggling :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.