Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 speed cassette with range 11-34 I think. So most likely Deore Cassette. Pretty sure at some point this cassette had those small 3 scres that threaded the 2nd to last cog.

There's a little play on the freehub, and I'd like to do away with it.
I'm a stickler I guess

So any one know where I can find those small cassette screws long enough for a 9 speed cassette. I have some shorter ones that don't make it all the way.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Those screws are just there to keep the cassette from falling apart after you remove it. The lockring holds the cassette onto the freehub. If the cassette is still loose, you have a different problem. (you might need a spacer behind the cassette)

·
Registered
20,786 Posts
So most likely Deore Cassette.
Most likely a SRAM cassette. I don't think shimano used those on 9sp. Shimano cassetes have a riveted carrier.

SRAM mountain bike CogSet 9 speed, 11-34t | eBay

The screws aren't needed. They won't remove play. They only make installation quicker.
If it's really that important to you, find an old beat up cassette on ebay for cheap and take the screws from it. Probably cheaper than you could buy them anywhere, if you could even find them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If there is slight cassette play it could be due to 2 things if nothing else has been changed. Cassette lockring not tight enough or else possibly stripped. Or your freehub body has severe enough bite marks from the cassette itself causing this excess play. In which case no amount of tightening the lockring will help.

I've seen some freehub bodies with very deep bite marks. The most frequently used cogs are where you will have the most play observed. This is a problem mostly associated with Shimano & Sram cassettes because of the shallow spline pattern will bite into the softer aluminum freehub body.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You may need a 1-3 mm spacer on the back of the cassettes so it snugs down when you tighten the lock ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Spacer is need my friend, that will take of any play

1 - 6 of 6 Posts