Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Holy carp! He slices through that pack like they're JRA. That was impressive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Fearless!! That one of my problems in the sprint, too much fear.

Plus whether I finish 1st or 11th, it still pays the same in most cases.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Even if I could get over the fear, I don't think I could make a maneuver like that without eating pavement.

If I'm having to rely on my sprint or good looks, I'm in trouble.
I was thinking, it's not only fear, but also not really caring about those around you. Those types of side to side movements could of easily taken someone's wheel out. But the guys at this level have a different take on this: you're behind me, so it's up to you to protect your front wheel.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was thinking, it's not only fear, but also not really caring about those around you. Those types of side to side movements could of easily taken someone's wheel out. But the guys at this level have a different take on this: you're behind me, so it's up to you to protect your front wheel.
Once your handlebars are in front of theirs, you can control their movement. Basically you can do what you want within the confines of not being overly dangerous.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think the key hear isn't that he makes side to side movements that are dangerous, as I don't believe this to be true.

The real key to nobody crashing in this sprint is the way guys around him handle themselves. This guy passes someone and then moves over in front of them. It is clear to them that he is much faster and they 1) give him the space to move and 2) don't overreact to his movement.

My experience has been that crashes happen when someone overreacts to the slightest movement in the peloton. This is probably exaggerated in the amateur ranks because we aren't as familiar with the competition and therefore don't trust them.

Interestingly enough, the local Tues/Thurs Worlds has sprints where people move around like this and nobody crashes. I've notice these same guys overreact (and sometimes crash) in a race. The difference, their comfort with the people moving around them.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Confidence aside, I don't have a good feel of how to make that sort of move on a bike or interstate traffic. Sure, I see cars cut across 4 lanes at a time on a routine basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts