Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L'Alp Duez was about as crazy as I've ever seen it. People running all over the place, waving flags, parading around in thongs, guys running alongside carrying inflatable dolls, etc. Its getting to be TOO much IMHO.

I think they should give some of those guys on motorcycles tazers and give them the authority to zap some of those SOB's and drop them straight in their tracks. I can't believe none of these drunken fools run into the riders. Its going to happen one of these days and cause a huge pileup. Get out the tazers and those fools will think twice.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
god i hope americans dont get too influencial in running the TDF

there would be a blanket ban on road penises, devil costumes, borat thongs, drinking anything except bud light...

·
Registered
659 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
L'Alp Duez was about as crazy as I've ever seen it. People running all over the place, waving flags, parading around in thongs, guys running alongside carrying inflatable dolls, etc. Its getting to be TOO much IMHO.

I think they should give some of those guys on motorcycles tazers and give them the authority to zap some of those SOB's and drop them straight in their tracks. I can't believe none of these drunken fools run into the riders. Its going to happen one of these days and cause a huge pileup. Get out the tazers and those fools will think twice.

fail,,,,

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
I remember seeing a Guardia Civil grabbing a foolish spectator and tossing him off the side of the road during the Vuelta a few years back. :)

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
It was better IMHO because of the barriers going down to 3K instead of 1K. Just part of the game. I've seen it worse on some of the Giro climbs.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So the barriers did go farther down. I thought soemthing was different. Screaming crazy fans are great but that particular climb was reaching the point of no return last time up. People were almost forcing riders off their bikes in the last 1 or 2 k. Its always been nuts but it was getting too nuts.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
yeah but it seems to have changed a bit in more recent years-more drunk guys trying to run alongside the riders for as long as they can - one got between the GC group yesterday and Andy Schleck had to push him away.

The organizers do seem to allow team cars to hit unruly spectators - one guy got run over a few years back (every year there's at least one fatality on Alpe D'huez, whether involving a car or heart attack etc).

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
ajoc_prez said:

You don't need a tazer when you have a motorcycle. Twice I have been on mountain climbs of the TdeF when I have seen a French motorcycle cop intentionally hit a spectator to get him out of the way. All things considered, the security and crowd control at the TdeF is pretty good.

Insofar as the thongs, inflatable dolls, penis drawings, etc. are concerned, I'm OK with them. They add color to the race and if you are a spectator by the side of the road, you need some entertainment -- even on a mountain climb, you only see the riders for a few seconds.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'd say we just let Bernard Hinault ride up first, beating people, to teach the crowd the "lesson"...

Truth is, that it did get a little bit more animated this year... when you have guys cutting between riders & Andy (or any rider) having to put hands on a fan... that's too much.
I don't have an answer, but it's all part of racing... no different than the dog that Sandy Casar or Mattias Kessler hit... Except that the Dog isn't drunk and wearing some stupid outfit.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
I'd say we just let Bernard Hinault ride up first, beating people, to teach the crowd the "lesson"...

Truth is, that it did get a little bit more animated this year... when you have guys cutting between riders & Andy (or any rider) having to put hands on a fan... that's too much.
I don't have an answer, but it's all part of racing... no different than the dog that Sandy Casar or Mattias Kessler hit... Except that the Dog isn't drunk and wearing some stupid outfit.
Hinault could use the company of Bart Wellens. He knows how to keep them in line
http://theinnertube.cycling.tv/kickapps/_Wellens-kicks-a-spectator/video/185110/2501.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
obviously this is the euro cycling spectator tradition and accepted by the riders as part of the deal too. any and all sports has fans whether drunk, insane, seeking attention, ect. It's just a riders bad luck, if he crashes into some fool, blows a tire or hits a barrier.

Now I think the german fans got a bit too unfriendly with Lance back in the day on those climbs....:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.