414 Posts
Getting the following message clicking on the link:

WARNING
The request contains an invalid URL!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
That worked. One very lucky cyclist. I had a similar situation where my carbon front wheel collapsed without warning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you imagine the heart stopping feeling from the bicyclist?? And I'm sure the driver had a oh **** moment.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about over there in the US but here in Japan more and more drivers are driving with devices in their hands or on their laps, and bike riders for that matter. This young fella is lucky the truck driver isn't one of them. Looks like his elbow took a good hit but.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
Not sure about over there in the US but here in Japan more and more drivers are driving with devices in their hands or on their laps, and bike riders for that matter.
Here in the US too. I've even seen cyclists texting while riding.

Many states here have a hand held phone ban while driving. Though it is very seldom that it's enforced.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here in the US too. I've even seen cyclists texting while riding.

Many states here have a hand held phone ban while driving. Though it is very seldom that it's enforced.
Lombard,

You are a wealth of knowledge and I truly respect your posts. No disrespect meant when I say the following.

The appetite for cell phones is insatiable. I've said before I'm a cop. I'm lucky enough to be a boss in a small city north of NYC. Last year our cops wrote what amounts to 12% of our population cell phone tickets. That is a damn big number. And end of Day, It hasn't stopped a single person.

I'll be the first to admit...im guilty too. And frankly, hands free is an improvement but it's also still distracting the driver. Divided attention and delayed reaction is the impetus behind driving while intoxicated laws. Same premise...politics skews all.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
Lombard,

You are a wealth of knowledge and I truly respect your posts. No disrespect meant when I say the following.

The appetite for cell phones is insatiable. I've said before I'm a cop. I'm lucky enough to be a boss in a small city north of NYC. Last year our cops wrote what amounts to 12% of our population cell phone tickets. That is a damn big number. And end of Day, It hasn't stopped a single person.

I'll be the first to admit...im guilty too. And frankly, hands free is an improvement but it's also still distracting the driver. Divided attention and delayed reaction is the impetus behind driving while intoxicated laws. Same premise...politics skews all.
No disrespect taken. And I hope you didn't take it disrespectfully as if I was implying that your cops "aren't doing their job". I think it's more of an issue of being more difficult to enforce. You can trap a speeder with radar and laser. The only way to bag a hand held cell phone user is visually. As soon as the driver sees the police car, he/she can put the phone down before the officer can see.

As far as distractions, there are many - the radio, the ac/heater, the passengers. Now we have gps systems with all these complex controls. I have a cradle for my smartphone suction cupped to the windshield. I only use it for Google maps and to check for traffic. Texts and calls can wait until the next stop.

Maybe what we need is stiffer fines and points. As we know well, the fine is peanuts compared to the spike in insurance rates for the following 3-5 years. So if only a fine, there is little incentive not to take a chance again. It's when people are hit hard in the wallet that they are most likely to change their ways.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Last year our cops wrote what amounts to 12% of our population cell phone tickets. That is a damn big number. And end of Day, It hasn't stopped a single person.
what's the penalty for getting busting cell phoning and driving?

And what percentage of accidents involve a cell phone?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
And what percentage of accidents involve a cell phone?
I don't know the answer to this question, but a few years ago, a woman on a cell phone blew through a red light and almost T-boned me.

·
Registered
11,019 Posts

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some "official" government stats: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812260

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
great link.
I think most people use their devices cause they think they are pressed for time and figure the rsik of having to pay a fine is worth it. So why not require all drivers caught driving distracted attend a mandated training program that takes three or four hours, failure to attend such training will result in the impounding of the vehicle for 30 days at a cost of $1 a day. Monetary fines don't work as a deterrent so hit them in their time pressed lives. @biscuit, do you think a town could pass such an ordinance.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depends upon state constitution. Usually it's a "city" form of government that the state constitution gives certain authority for "city code" type statues. Some mirror state law. Some of these fines go to city coffers but many, no matter if city code or state law violated, fee goes to big brother at state level.

Larger the city usually more power at state level. Like NYC basically is it's own state within a state ...vast juice to be able to have some of the laws they do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts