Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
Depends upon state constitution. Usually it's a "city" form of government that the state constitution gives certain authority for "city code" type statues. Some mirror state law. Some of these fines go to city coffers but many, no matter if city code or state law violated, fee goes to big brother at state level.

Larger the city usually more power at state level. Like NYC basically is it's own state within a state ...vast juice to be able to have some of the laws they do.
OK, understood. I stand corrected. :cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Given that a crash due to texting can be quite devastating, not unlike drunk or reckless driving, I think the key in curbing this is to lobby for elevating texting/distracted driving infractions to the same level as reckless driving or DUI/DWI. This will unleash the wrath of insurance premium hikes and possible lost of driving privileges. Maybe, just maybe, this will get the message across to some.

·
Banned
442 Posts
That worked. One very lucky cyclist. I had a similar situation where my carbon front wheel collapsed without warning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Well, that is a reason that I ride more quiet side roads. Those are dangerous enough with the occasional driver taking a close pass at you either on purpose or from trying to avoid you and looking right at you which causes them to steer closer than they should.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
I love a good thread dredge. It feels cathartic. (y)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts

·
Banned
442 Posts
About 3,000. Why?
It shows me what sort of experience you have. That 3,000 suggests you know what you're talking about so why do you find the fact that Road Bike Review leaves threads up to answer questions for new members as odd? Perhaps having drivers texting while driving was a problem in 2005 but today most cars are fairly new and have built in phone access and have voice texting so the driver can look forward while driving. It is far more likely that a car might be a Tesla and on autopilot and hit you.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,030 Posts
It shows me what sort of experience you have. That 3,000 suggests you know what you're talking about so why do you find the fact that Road Bike Review leaves threads up to answer questions for new members as odd? Perhaps having drivers texting while driving was a problem in 2005 but today most cars are fairly new and have built in phone access and have voice texting so the driver can look forward while driving. It is far more likely that a car might be a Tesla and on autopilot and hit you.
I never said a thread dredge was a bad thing, did I? I said I found it cathartic - you know, like a good satisfying dump. (y)

Speaking of autopilot Teslas, there was a driver who was killed while playing a video game while his Tesla was on autopilot. Technology can't fix stupid.

Reactions: n2deep

·
Road Warrior
702 Posts
C
Lombard,

You are a wealth of knowledge and I truly respect your posts. No disrespect meant when I say the following.

The appetite for cell phones is insatiable. I've said before I'm a cop. I'm lucky enough to be a boss in a small city north of NYC. Last year our cops wrote what amounts to 12% of our population cell phone tickets. That is a damn big number. And end of Day, It hasn't stopped a single person.

I'll be the first to admit...im guilty too. And frankly, hands free is an improvement but it's also still distracting the driver. Divided attention and delayed reaction is the impetus behind driving while intoxicated laws. Same premise...politics skews all.
No disrespect intended however the police are one of the largest offenders. Their cars are equipped with full size computer screens and they are always watching the screen while driving down the road. IMHO thats why most offenders don't worry about a cell phone ticket because it makes the police hypocritical. Either the cell phone laws dont work, or they are not enforced or the penalty is not severe enough, it’s still a problem we need to resolve for the safety of all cyclist.

·
Registered
415 Posts
C

No disrespect intended however the police are one of the largest offenders. Their cars are equipped with full size computer screens and they are always watching the screen while driving down the road. IMHO thats why most offenders don't worry about a cell phone ticket because it makes the police hypocritical. Either the cell phone laws dont work, or they are not enforced or the penalty is not severe enough, it’s still a problem we need to resolve for the safety of all cyclist.
These laptops are no different than the screen on a Tesla model 3, except that the Tesla driver has no more qualification than having a so called "driver's license", unlike a patrol officer. I'm far from a pondit of law enforcement, but one can't compare them with some soccer mom with a screaming junior in the back while trying to drive and on the phone to figure out what to pick up for dinner.

·
Road Warrior
702 Posts
These laptops are no different than the screen on a Tesla model 3, except that the Tesla driver has no more qualification than having a so called "driver's license", unlike a patrol officer. I'm far from a pondit of law enforcement, but one can't compare them with some soccer mom with a screaming junior in the back while trying to drive and on the phone to figure out what to pick up for dinner.
True but distracted is still distracted, police or soccer mom.

·
Road Warrior
702 Posts
Except one is supposedly trained to handles it. Using your reasoning, air traffic controllers can only handle one flight at a time.

·
Road Warrior
702 Posts
Except one is supposedly trained to handles it. Using your reasoning, air traffic controllers can only handle one flight at a time.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts