Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...anyone here ever have one? I have one that needs to be repaired by the end of the year. What kind of recovery time should I expect before I can get back on the bike? They said it would be out patient surgery and I would need to take it easy for a few days before I could get back to work.I assume it would be longer before I could resume riding. Any one with experience with this?

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Ejdo (the hubby) had one right before we got married. He was pretty laid up for about a week....but he had an additional incision for some looking around in there and a drug allergy we didn't know about previously. Once I got him out of the house and walking around he was good to go. Back to work doing tree care 2 weeks post op. You should be good to ride 1-2 weeks depending on how your body heals.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
I've got a hernia too. Apparently I've had it since college. My doctor said I only needed to have it taken care of when it started to bother me, which has been more ane more lately. Still not bad enough to have anyone with sharp objects in that region. Maybe I can make it another year.

I'm interested to hear everyone else experiences too. It might convince me to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had 4 of them !!!

2 when i was younger (under 4 years old). I just had one done 2 years ago. Now they put in a gortex patch, so you'll never get one on the same side again.

Recovery: it was 7 weeks before i really got after it on the bike. I do not kknow how to take it easy....so i'm sure you could start at 5 weeks on a trainer. I recovery relatively quickly (33 years old).

Pain: I do not understand how women get C sections (ie-have huge incision with all their guts removed). I walked outta the place feeling alright. The next morning i needed help to just get outta the prone position. 2 full days off of work...then a half day (i thought i felt good until i had to sit at the computer.

It felt great to lay down....siting and standing witht the wiehgt of your organs on the incision hurt.

It has been 2 years and it is not the same. I cannot stand at parties for over 2 hours...i don't think i ever will. The weight of the organs pushing against it really bothers my incision area (dull pressure pain) maybe it is mostly due to drinikng at parties and relaxing my abdomen area.

The scar area has no feeling anymore...but i'm sued to this during operations (both knees)

Anyway...sorry for the gloom...a necessary evil though

·
Music Man
967 Posts
I'm 46 and I've had 2 repairs in my lifetime. One when I was 18 and one last year. The first hernia was an Umbilical Hernia right under my naval. I was hit with a hockey stick and a bulge came out shortly thereafter. I remember going into surgery I was scared as heck as it was my first surgery. I almost got up and left the hospital before they hauled me back in and tranquilized me. Recovery was 12 weeks. It felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and left their hand on my insides. Man, I was sore for at least two weeks, even with pain medicine.

Just last year, I was working on my house doing some heavy duty remodeling my house. Just before lunch, I had decided to put the tools and wood away as it was just getting way too hot to work anymore. After I got some things put away, I felt this God-awful gutwrenching pain in my lower abdomen. At first, I thought I was just dehydrated as I was getting back cramps too. I started to feel nautious and felt like a number 3 was coming on. I proceeded to go in the restroom, and then I felt a pop, just like a pimple. I looked down, and there it was, a bulge in my abdomen. It was not good news. I went to my doctor immediately and he referred me to a surgeon, who said I needed surgery right away.

I ended up with a Double-Inguinal Hernia. Let me tell you, I was in pain as soon as I opened my eyes up in the recovery room. The Anesthesiast had to put a block in my abdomen to help reduce the amount of pain I was in. They wanted me to get up right away to walk. Man, I was bent over in so much pain as I got out of bed!! I could not walk nor stand up completely for nearly a week. I was in an extreme amount of pain for over 3 weeks. I finally started to feel better after the 4th week. It took me nearly 3 whole months to recover completely.

The doctor did not put any mesh inside to hold the tissue together as I was pretty well toned and he didn't think I needed it. I was told I could not ride for 6 weeks after surgery. I tried it at 7 weeks, but the boys in the package told me otherwise. They were not very happy campers, believe me!!

Are you married? How long? Have a serious girlfriend, or are you engaged? Forget about any type of intercourse for quite a while. Junior will not feel like coming out to play and the boys will want to be as still as possible too. The urge may be there, but they will not cooperate for you.

When I did finally get back on my bike, I could only pedal slow and not very far. It took me an additional 3 months of gradually increasing my distance and speed before I was back in cycling shape.

I wish you all the best of luck, my friend! I wish I had better news to share, but go into surgery knowing you're going to be extremely sore afterwards. If your doctor tells you you'll be in mild discomfort, don't believe him. That's what my doctor told me.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,934 Posts
Thread dredge! I had double inguinal hernia surgery today and wish I had searched on here before the surgery... holy smokes does it hurt! I now understand why my surgeon gave me a script for 30(!) Percocets

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,934 Posts
I'm getting better but the recovery is veeeeery slow... I was hoping to be back on my bike after 3 weeks and I think it'll be at least twice as long.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Thread dredge! I had double inguinal hernia surgery today and wish I had searched on here before the surgery... holy smokes does it hurt! I now understand why my surgeon gave me a script for 30(!) Percocets
I am having surgery for an umbilical hernia later next month. Hoping its not that bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts