Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last the season finally begins properly - the (semi)classics are here!

So, who is going to do what in the two races? Start lists are here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/hetvolk09/?id=startlist and here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/mar09/kbk09/?id=startlist

My guesses. Gilbert won't be able to repeat his Het Volk ride. Boonen finished in California early especially, and knows that he really should have Het Volk on his palmares - I think he is the man to beat. For Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, I'm going to go with an outsider. Cervelo seem pretty motivated, so I'm going to go with one of their riders, probably Roger Hammond (he always seems to be there or there abouts in races of this level).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greg Van Avermaet (Lotto), Wauter Weylandt (Quick Step), Aurélien Clerc (AG2r), Filippo Pozzato, Maybe Ciolek, Kurt-Asle Arvesen, but would love to see Hammond take it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
roadie_490 said:
Martijn Maaskant for K-B-K.

Tom Boonen for Het Nieuwsblad.
You mean Het Volk.

I mean, come on, it's history people. I dont care what they want to call it now. It will always be Het Volk.:wink:

Next they'll rename Paris-Roubaix "The Cobblestone Challenge" or the "Tour d'Ardennes". Not the same...

But, yes, Boonen FTW.:thumbsup:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
me thinks boonen will be playing nice with his teammates this year, in order to get their help later.

volk: hoste
kbk: devolder

but i know little-to-none about the classics. other than i have loved watching bits and pieces the past 2 years.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
here's one lesson about the classics: Belgians don't 'play nice' when it comes to the classics. If Boonen is in a position to win, he'll go for it. The others will help him because he's the team leader...

·
Registered
208 Posts
weltyed said:
me thinks boonen will be playing nice with his teammates this year, in order to get their help later.

volk: hoste
kbk: devolder
QUOTE]

Boonen's never won Het Volk, so...

I don't think Devolder's knee is up to it yet. Maybe Chavanel or Maaskant for KBK?

·
Registered
208 Posts
stevesbike said:
here's one lesson about the classics: Belgians don't 'play nice' when it comes to the classics. If Boonen is in a position to win, he'll go for it. The others will help him because he's the team leader...
Exactly

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Chavanel for Het Volk
Pozzato for K-B-K

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
loubnc said:
Boonen's never won Het Volk, so...

I don't think Devolder's knee is up to it yet. Maybe Chavanel or Maaskant for KBK?
i knew that about tom, but not devolder. i was gonna go with chavanel (and not pick a first name)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Glad to see Hushovd take it, it's been a while. Langeveld is looking better by the year too, i really liked his aggression last year at KBK

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Hushovd is having a nice start for his year and new team.

·
Registered
648 Posts
loubnc said:
You mean Het Volk.

I mean, come on, it's history people. I dont care what they want to call it now. It will always be Het Volk.:wink:

Next they'll rename Paris-Roubaix "The Cobblestone Challenge" or the "Tour d'Ardennes". Not the same...

But, yes, Boonen FTW.:thumbsup:
Paris -Roubaix will always be just that unless they change either the start or the finish... Het Volk was simply named after a sponsor, that sponsor has changed so goodbye to the name.

cyclingnews.com said:
It will take a while to get used to Het Volk's new name but after a change in sponsorship the race will be known as Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. Both former and current sponsors are newspapers and ironically Het Volk once created the race as a rival to the Ronde van Vlaanderen, which was sponsored by Het Nieuwsblad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts