Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Should Hold More!

I think the area it makes sense is for longer rides, allowing one to forgo the hassle of all those gel packs or gel specific bottles. As it is the capacity is a bit on the thin side. It would be a cool solution if it held 3x as much. As it is it saves you the trouble of opening a few packs of gel, big deal!

·
Registered
34 Posts
With the consistancy of most gels, I don't think that this bottle would be very efficent at squeezing a gel out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
answers about gel-bot....

first off, in order to give full disclosure, i am the designer of the gel-bot water bottle. i tripped across this thread and just wanted to answer the questions mentioned, though i am probably biased as i am the designer.

so the system was designed to effectively work with any energy gel on the market, regardless of its consistency. i have used mine with hammergel, GU, honeystringer, carbboom, powergel, cliff shot, ENERVIT, and a few others and it works fine for all of them.

as far as capacity goes, the system can hold 24 oz of water and 3.2oz of gel and is still the size bottle most people are comfortable with handling while on the bike. our testing indicated that this was an optimium gel/water ratio, though i am sure a lot of people deviate from this. we have a larger capacity energy core coming out in the summer which you can add to your bottle, however, the more gel you put in the bottle, the less volume is avialable for water in the bottle.

as far as efficiency goes, it works surprisingly well. eating the gel is as simple as squeezing the bottle or sucking on the valve. the water function is identical to any other bike bottle, pull valve and squeeze. obviously this is not something that EVERY rider needs. but it does make the process of eating gel, especially if you are riding in a pack or in aerobars, easier and safer and will also hopefully keep some people from throwing empty foil packs down on the roads of my favorite rides.

if anyone reading this wants to try one out, go to www.gel-bot.com, email us and mention this post. we will give you a sweet 'bro-deal' on some bottles. i wish we could give out product to everyone who wants one, but we are just a fledgling startup!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reply.

iceclimb44 said:
first off, in order to give full disclosure, i am the designer of the gel-bot water bottle.

we are just a fledgling startup!
Nothing better than someone trying to make a company from a good idea. Good luck to you and your company.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
www.gel-bot.com is busticated. Looks like your DNS is all wrong--the IP listed as your A record doesn't point to any site.

Not going to get a lot of business that way.

Update: It's working now, though there were sure a lot of places that didn't have an IP address for the site 2 minutes ago.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
Actually seems pretty clever, particullary for racing, or riding in heavier gloves which make gel packs a pain to open on the bike.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
http://www.gel-bot.com/

Can't decide if it is completely ridiculous or if it is needed.
Neat idea for $6. For $16, a gel flask in my jersey pocket will do just fine.

OTOH, there's a lot of wiz-bang in this sport, so it might get somewhere.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If it keeps someone from throwing those gel packets on the ground it's worth it. A gel flask works good, too, but it's a double movement. I like the feature where you can drink water and gel at the same time. Cuts down on the bleh factor. Two bottles can carry five gel packs. Probably the equivalent of 6 because you always leave some in the packet no matter how carefully you squeeze. Seems like an interesting idea. I might take him up on his offer. Believe me, I've spent more on less useful ideas.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I think it's a great idea for racing when you don't want to fiddle with gu or maybe even if you compete in winter sports like xc skiing or randonee racing. I don't think they'll get much business from recreational athletes though because we tend to have more time to play with packets etc.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
But I hate ripping packets open while riding, recreational riding or not. No matter what I always manage to get some of the gel on my hands which then turns into a sticky, grimey coating. It's worse mountain biking if it's wet or muddy. Muddy hands opening a packet almost always means I'm eating dirt with my gel. Sure, you eat dirt anyway but why ingest more if you don't have too? I think I'm talking myself into another goofy purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts