Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Toyota, producing 1kg (2.2#) of carbon fiber generates 30kg (66#) of CO2. For titanium and aluminum it's 14kg (31#), and for steel, 2.5kg (5.5#).

Steel is good for the environment, moreons.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
According to Toyota, producing 1kg (2.2#) of carbon fiber generates 30kg (66#) of CO2. For titanium and aluminum it's 14kg (31#), and for steel, 2.5kg (5.5#).

Is not.

Excuse me, I need to do some maintenance on my H2.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Yes... but you're sequestering Carbon in your bicycle itself. you can't do that with metals... unless it's steel.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Moving to Teh Lownje in 3...2...1...
This is RECORD setting--a thread suckcessfully derailled and moved from the re-christened "General Cycling Discussions" to Teh Louwnje!!!

W0000t, this calls for partay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:

A moron is someone who spells it "moreon." :rolleyes:

Know what else is bad for the environment? Me driving my car more often 'cause I hate my steel bike. And then, I'll be cranky because I have to drive in the big city with big city idiot-drivers. So then I'll drive more aggressively, pumping more pollutants into the air.

Maybe carbon manufacturing is worse for the environment, and that's a bummer. But in a way, my having an all carbon bike is better for the environment.

Besides, I work from home, recycle religiously, drive a small car, and ride the bike to the club rides. My carbon (fiber) footprint is smaller than those of 95% of the population.

·
Registered
398 Posts
bikerkvan said:

Know what else is bad for the environment? Me driving my car more often 'cause I hate my steel bike. And then, I'll be cranky because I have to drive in the big city with big city idiot-drivers. So then I'll drive more aggressively, pumping more pollutants into the air.

Maybe carbon manufacturing is worse for the environment, and that's a bummer. But in a way, my having an all carbon bike is better for the environment.

Besides, I work from home, recycle religiously, drive a small car, and ride the bike to the club rides. My carbon (fiber) footprint is smaller than those of 95% of the population.
Someone not get their coffee this morning?:D

Is it bad if you have a few bikes of each material?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
is too

I save on Co2 personally....I only exhale every other breath
What about farts? Do you hold them in as well? Cause that ain't healthy man.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
bikerkvan said:

Lighten up francis.

Here is an addictive substance to help:
http://www.therightfoot.net/mystuff/whatever/swf/bubblewrap.swf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.