1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Fergot one.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Speaking of 80's movies... here's one of my favorites.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's 3 I intentionally left out. Google fast times at ridgemont high "images" and you'll see the other 2 (the 3rd is the one you posted). trying to stay on pseudo thick ice here.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
there's 3 I intentionally left out. Google fast times at ridgemont high "images" and you'll see the other 2 (the 3rd is the one you posted). trying to stay on pseudo thick ice here.

Yeah, that's what I googled as well. Saw the other ones. Very tempting, though the one I posted was on the safer side of things.

You and I seem to be the only ones online here. I'm sitting here with a head cold to end all head colds waiting for the drugs to kick in so I can pass out and get some good speel tonight before class tomorrow. What's your excuse?

joe

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i usually outlast the left coast folks. catmans been known to hang but haven't heard from him in a while. I'll take "what is procrastinating looking for a job for the daily double, Alex". maybe i.s. will show up....i hope you feel better. what classes do you have tomorrow?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
i usually outlast the left coast folks. catmans been known to hang but haven't heard from him in a while. I'll take "what is procrastinating looking for a job for the daily double, Alex". maybe i.s. will show up....i hope you feel better. what classes do you have tomorrow?

I'm out here on the west. In So. Cal. to be a bit more precise.

Tomorrow I've got a class on community in America and another class that is a graduate level geography class on human geography. I'm getting my MA in American Studies, and because it's an interdisciplinary degree, I've got to take a few graduate courses outside my usual field of study.

The good part about this is that geography students don't have to take any kind of social theory or philosophy of any kind, whereas human geography requires a bit from both. I've got a bit of an edge in that I've actually studied both (philosophy fairly generally). So that class is actually working out pretty well.

Not diggin your current job? Or are you job-less? Personally, I don't agree with working unless you like what it is that you do. I went from making quite a bit of money to making about $800 a month working as a counselor at school. I'm broke, but I got my sanity back.

What is it that you are looking to do?

joe

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm torn bw teaching (which I have at a private school and loved it) and engineering. i'm in ohio where you must get a master's in education (all teachers must have masters to teach here). ohio has the 2nd toughest requirements to teach (behind connecticut I think). i've already got a master's and don't want to get another(mostly bc of the cost). plus the salaries out here are ridiculous low. my friend out in anaheim (granted its the highest paying school district in O.C.) is making like 83k a year (ms with 10 years experience). here with a masters starting salary is like 32K. so i'll look for an engineering job (materials science). i took philosophy (intro to) that class was very difficult for me. do you get to write a thesis (happy happy joy joy)? i lived in so cal for 9.5 years. had a great time.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I live in Anaheim. I'm kind of sick of so. cal. I need to get out. I've lived ehre my entire life. Ideally I'd like to go to George Washington in DC for my Ph.D. Nut I'll go anywhere, really, if they want to fund me ;)

I can understand the tough requirements for teachers, but I think that making it so that you have to have a MA in education is a little lame, and limiting. If I wanted to teach HS out here I'd have another couple of years out here for a single subject credential, whereas I could be halfway through a Ph.D.

I really want to teach, but I don't think I'm cut out for hs. I don't think I could handle having to teach something where I have so little control over anything; where I'm really just trying to get kids to pass some lame test so the school can fight for its funding rather than actually teach kids any fort of critical thinking skills. So, a college professor sounds good to me. That is, if I can get a job after I get my Ph.D. which is no guarantee.

joe

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but "no child left behind"...

so did you go to Katella High School by chance?

college professor would be really cool, that's what my dad does.

cali is one of the easiest states to get a credential(probably bc they need teachers so bad). about 12-14 months at chapman going to night classes once or twice a week. maybe I'll live in an earth dome out in the dessert and do that.....

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Sorry to cut in on the conversation, but one of the advantages of doing a PhD here in Sweden is you get paid a starting salary equivalent to about 2,700 US per month. My wife Anneli will be defending here thesis this June and is making about 3,300 US per month. Making a decent salary means no students loans and a pretty good quality of life even as a PhD. It is considered one of the ways to attract students to research and ensure a base of PhDs. Of course, we have the same problem as PhDs from Canada and the US in that there are no work guarantees once finished, so we're hoping she finds work too.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Nah, I went to Fullerton high. But I live right up the street from Katella.

Good talkin with ya, FS, but I'fe gotta hit the sack. I'll catch ya later man. Take care, and good luck with the job hunt.

Take it easy, dude.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to hear from you wayne,

did you take a few days off from the lounge or go on a vacation? i started a thread for you (since you were gone for a few days) but its probably at the bottom or on page 2. i've heard that Sweden treats its citizens top notch. From health care for everyone to schooling (isn't it mostly free for undergrads once you're accepted?), to homelessness (what's that?), etc. I see it applies to grad school too (which is to an extent true in the u.s. for certain fields though not as much money). what is your wife studying? glad you're back.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hi friction,
Yes, we were in the Swedish mountains from Wednesday-Sunday. Did some really nice ski touring with the kids and loved watching my son Albert learn to cross-country ski, that was way cool. He really improved on the weekend. I haven't seen your thread yet, but will search for it after. We pay a lot of taxes here, but we get back an enormous amount. You're right - free uni education once accepted, free health and dental for all under 18, 480 days of parental leave for both parents to share (which can be spread out until the child is 7 years old), etc. As for the homeless, I'm not really sure about that. We have our share, difficult to say if it's as much as in North America. Anneli conducting research on biofiltration and air filters to remove odours. Hmm, engineering and teaching?? What field of engineering are you educated in?
Wayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts