Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelin Man, what Michelin tires do you suggest for the Erioca type of event and terrain that is getting very popular in Europe and the UK?

I mostly train and ride on dirt roads here in Canada where the surface can range from smooth packed dirt to peanut sized fresh gravel that I'll ride on my new cyclo-cross bike when it arrives. I've got Challenge Grifo Dry 32mm tires (330g) for the new bike and an old set of 25mm Michelin ProRace tires (267g).

What can you suggest that is somewhere between those two tires?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mike T. said:
Michelin Man, what Michelin tires do you suggest for the Erioca type of event and terrain that is getting very popular in Europe and the UK?

I mostly train and ride on dirt roads here in Canada where the surface can range from smooth packed dirt to peanut sized fresh gravel that I'll ride on my new cyclo-cross bike when it arrives. I've got Challenge Grifo Dry 32mm tires (330g) for the new bike and an old set of 25mm Michelin ProRace tires (267g).

What can you suggest that is somewhere between those two tires?
I would say to go with a MICHELIN Krylion Carbon 25c tire if you want a 25c or just the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon 23c. Either way, I would use that tire because of its puncture protector (Kevlar based vs the nylon one that is in the MICHELIN Pro2/Pro3 Race) as it is a different material and also extends down on the sidewall and goes from bead to bead. The MICHELIN Krylion Carbon is our longest lasting and most durable road tire.

That is unless you are using a cross tire, but I don't think that is the direction you are going to. If you are, I would suggest the MICHELIN Jet as that is a smoother tread and rolls a bit faster.

Hopefully this helps. If not, let me know and I will do my best to help.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
25mm pro race

Michelin Man said:
The MICHELIN Krylion Carbon only comes in a 25c but it does tend to stretch out closer to a 27c. Other than that, in our road line up it would go right to the cross tires.
I tried your 25mm krylion carbon but liked 25mm pro race much better. Does 25mm pro race measure 27mm too? Don't forget you have 28mm select and dynamic.

Q: If I have a pin-sized hole in the tire, is there some external sealant I should use before riding in rain?

·
Registered
177 Posts
steel515 said:
I tried your 25mm krylion carbon but liked 25mm pro race much better. Does 25mm pro race measure 27mm too? Don't forget you have 28mm select and dynamic.

Q: If I have a pin-sized hole in the tire, is there some external sealant I should use before riding in rain?
Even though the MICHELIN Pro2 Race and the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon have the same casing, there are a few other major differences. One is that the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon has a bead to bead Kevlar puncture protector while the MICHELIN Pro2 Race has a nylon based puncture protector that runs just under the tread. The Kevlar puncture protector does not flex quite the same, which will give it a different feel to the tire. The other major difference is that the MICHELIN Pro2 Race is made of a co-extruded silica based compound while the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon is a carbon based compound. The difference in compounds will also give each tire a different ride.

No, the MICHELIN Pro2 Race does not stretch out quite like the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon does. The reason that the MICHELIN Krylion Carbon stretches is because of the carbon based compound used in the 25c tire.

As far as the 28c tires, we currently offer a few different models of 28c tires ranging from the MICHELIN Dynamic to the MICHELIN City tires. We currently do not have a tire by the name "Select" in our line up. The reason I did not mention the MICHELIN Dynamic or the MICHELIN City is because the original poster asked about tires for racing some events and I would not put these tires in the "racing" category.

As far as the hole, I don't think there is anything you should do to make it safer in the rain. The one thing to check is that the hole does not go all the way through the casing. If it does, you might have problems with tubes pushing through the hole and popping. If it does not go through the casing, I would say to leave the hole alone. Just make sure that after every ride, you check over the tire to make sure there is no gravel stuck in the tire. If there is something in the tire, just pick it out carefully and you should be fine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mike T. said:
MM, this is great information. You're a great asset to the site. Thanks for being here.
Not a problem. That is why I am here. We decided to do the whole "forums things" just to make sure people get the right facts. That is the worst thing about being a manufacturer is that people get the wrong info about your products, so we are here to get the right info out there.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michelin Man said:
Not a problem. That is why I am here. We decided to do the whole "forums things" just to make sure people get the right facts. That is the worst thing about being a manufacturer is that people get the wrong info about your products, so we are here to get the right info out there.
I applaud the decision of your company and I think more manufacturers should do it.

While you're here I have a question - what's the percentage of the pro tour peloton that races on clincher tires in general? What teams race on Michelin and what tires do they use?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mike T. said:
I applaud the decision of your company and I think more manufacturers should do it.

While you're here I have a question - what's the percentage of the pro tour peloton that races on clincher tires in general? What teams race on Michelin and what tires do they use?
I honestly couldn't even make a guess at the % of how many teams ride on clinchers. I can only say for sure that of the Euro teams, we sponsor 2 of them and they are Bouygues Telecom and AG2R as well as some in the states. Other than those 2 teams, I am not sure who else rides clinchers.

For the teams that we sponsor, they all run the MICHELIN Pro3 Race at this point and if they find the need, the MICHELIN Pro3 Grip (when it becomes available) and the MICHELIN Pro3 Light (again, when it is available). They are running the same exact tires that our consumers ride. There is nothing different than the tires you can ride as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
MM, when are the different color Pro 3 tires going to be released to the market? you might have answered this already, but, i would like to know whether or not Michelin is going to have white on their tire line up for the pro race 3.

·
Registered
177 Posts
veloci1 said:
MM, when are the different color Pro 3 tires going to be released to the market? you might have answered this already, but, i would like to know whether or not Michelin is going to have white on their tire line up for the pro race 3.
For a white tire, we currently have available an Ivory tire. Talk to your shop and they should be able to get it. For the other colors being released, the red, dark blue, yellow and light blue will be available early to middle of June. For the signal orange, neon flash (bright yellow) and the MICHELIN Pro3 Grip (in all black) will be available in late summer.

·
Administrator
13,149 Posts
This title is killing me. Everytime I see it I think of this:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mike T. said:
MM, this is great information. You're a great asset to the site. Thanks for being here.
I agree. Last week I was searching for a good, reasonably fast rolling but puncture resistant tire. I ended up with Krylion Carbons based on the information provided here (they hadn't even been on my shortlist earlier)

Today was my first ride on them, and they felt good! They feel better than my previous tires. Give me a month and I'll let you know how the flat resistance looks :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.