Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry didn't know any other way to "call you out"!!! Love your new Parlee Z2, keep visiting your thread to look at it. I am pondering ordering a new Parlee but with a wax finish instead of the standard. I saw a Tri racer with a waxed Z1 and it looked pretty good....if you scratched it it really wouldn't show as far as I can tell. Didn't get a chance to talk with the owner but I understand that you have to keep it waxed from time to time and also maybe armor-all-ed, too.
My other carbon bikes all seem to get scuffs and I figured this finish wouldn't show as much wear and tear. My Moots SL is totally unfettered by the elements and my clumsiness so it usually goes everywhere with me, mostly attached to the roof.
Have you ever seen the wax finish? thoughts?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand the frameset is not sent out for finishing but is instead waxed with a substance that seals the tubes but in their natural form so no glossiness. When I saw the Z1 with this option it looked like the lugs were polished but the main tubes were kind of raw material looking but good looking nonetheless. One of the things that always turned me off somewhat to carbon frames was the super shiny finish they put on. Of course, after you ride the bike, get your first compliment, all that goes out the window.
When I spoke with Parlee they said that I could go with this option if I wanted to, they would oblige. I think that you need to maintain the frame a bit more, especially around the seams where the lugs meet the tubes.
I'll let you know when I make my final decision on which finish/frame I'm getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
better to have clearcoat...

A raw carbon tube with no addtional clear coating is for weight weenies who want to save a few ounces of paint weight.

This type of finish would be bar more susceptible to damage. Better to scratch a clear coat that can be touched up rather than the carbon fibers.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
I wonder if it's similar to that nude/raw finish that Calfee offers. In that case, the lugs are sometimes coated but the tubes are not. You then have to treat it with some sort of industrial sunscreen to impede the sun-induced depolymerization of the epoxy.

Might be neat from an industrial look standpoint, but it almost sounds like more maintenance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, saving weight was not on my list, but I do always read your posts C-40 as you probably give the best advice I've read. I guess I'm more interested in a less glossy look now than when I was younger. Plus I have so many bikes, including a C-40 which is gorgeous (and shiny). Wouldn't have even brought the subject up if I had not happened upon someone who had a bike with this finish. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure Terry...I'm calling them now to get an explanation. I'll probably just go with the standard finish.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Hey Varoadie,
Nothing like getting infected by the master Terry himself :) . Seems like most people here get a case "the wants" pretty bad once in a while. Let us know what happens.
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Hey Varoadie......

varoadie said:
Sorry didn't know any other way to "call you out"!!! Love your new Parlee Z2, keep visiting your thread to look at it. I am pondering ordering a new Parlee but with a wax finish instead of the standard. I saw a Tri racer with a waxed Z1 and it looked pretty good....if you scratched it it really wouldn't show as far as I can tell. Didn't get a chance to talk with the owner but I understand that you have to keep it waxed from time to time and also maybe armor-all-ed, too.
My other carbon bikes all seem to get scuffs and I figured this finish wouldn't show as much wear and tear. My Moots SL is totally unfettered by the elements and my clumsiness so it usually goes everywhere with me, mostly attached to the roof.
Have you ever seen the wax finish? thoughts?

Thanks!
I thought you'd never be swayed from your Vammots SL? Or are you trying to catch up with Terry?
 

·
wheel to wheel
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
SP for CF

terry b said:
I wonder if it's similar to that nude/raw finish that Calfee offers. In that case, the lugs are sometimes coated but the tubes are not. You then have to treat it with some sort of industrial sunscreen to impede the sun-induced depolymerization of the epoxy.

Might be neat from an industrial look standpoint, but it almost sounds like more maintenance.
I think you're talking about this stuff.
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=techaeroprotect
Apparently works quite well, but I have not actually seen how it looks on a nude CF frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wayneanneli said:
Hey Varoadie,
Nothing like getting infected by the master Terry himself :) . Seems like most people here get a case "the wants" pretty bad once in a while. Let us know what happens.
Cheers, Wayne
Hey Wayne,

I'll probably get the Parlee, won't be able to stand it if I don't! As you've probably read in my blurb down below, I LOVE my Moots and all the other bikes I've purchased I've done so because of the love of the sport but the Moots is still the best I've owned. I am still in the Moots Club!
Thanks for the post!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've gone thru lots of bikes and my Moots remains my favorite. (no one admires those carbon connectors and joints and goes wow!, HOW do they DO that!) I have a few bikes but not as many as Terry. I have too many other compulsive hobbies and I'm not a millionaire. The Moots is very special to me.
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Hey Varoadie, fellow SL pal.....

varoadie said:
I've gone thru lots of bikes and my Moots remains my favorite. (no one admires those carbon connectors and joints and goes wow!, HOW do they DO that!) I have a few bikes but not as many as Terry. I have too many other compulsive hobbies and I'm not a millionaire. The Moots is very special to me.
It's hard to keep up with Terry, Isn't it? I have a few also but alas the Moots is my fav. I do get lusty feelings for another Ti bike (I love TI) a Desalvo or a Kish? Something with carbon tubes and Ti lugs? TiTus Isogrid? uhh, I dunno, I know there is another "must have " coming my way, I just don't know what it is yet........
I still think we all need to go to Terry's and see the museum and go riding.....
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top