Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting a Madone 6.5 (sucks to be me, right?), and I am trying to order up the right seatmast length. Any ideas which one I need if the length from center of BB to the top of the seat is 76cm? The bike size is 54cm, btw, not sure if I need the 120 or the 160. Hell, I am not even sure what comes standard with this bike.

This is only tricky because there isn't a Trek dealer within 15 miles of me (no car), and I work when they are open, and I am off when they are closed.

Any ideas?
 

·
Deliciously Ironic
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Get the tallest one

I just checked your measurements against a 54cm Madone here in the store; you will need the 160 seatmast. The 54cm comes with the shorter mast (120) but your measurement exceeds the maximum limit.

The LBS should be able to change that out for you.:thumbsup:
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
randomguy said:
I am getting a Madone 6.5 (sucks to be me, right?), and I am trying to order up the right seatmast length. Any ideas which one I need if the length from center of BB to the top of the seat is 76cm? The bike size is 54cm, btw, not sure if I need the 120 or the 160. Hell, I am not even sure what comes standard with this bike.

This is only tricky because there isn't a Trek dealer within 15 miles of me (no car), and I work when they are open, and I am off when they are closed.

Any ideas?
Yes, use this as a guide:
https://trekroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/05/2008_trek_new_mdaone_seat_height__2.gif
But, with a saddle height of 76 cm's I'm not sure why you're looking at a 54, unless you've got a short reach. When you check the guide, you'll see that a 76cm seat height matches up to a 58 or 60 cm frame with standard cap. Assuming you now have a road bike that fits, I'd measure the effective TT and see what size Madone comes closest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ352 said:
Yes, use this as a guide:
https://trekroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/05/2008_trek_new_mdaone_seat_height__2.gif
But, with a saddle height of 76 cm's I'm not sure why you're looking at a 54, unless you've got a short reach. When you check the guide, you'll see that a 76cm seat height matches up to a 58 or 60 cm frame with standard cap. Assuming you now have a road bike that fits, I'd measure the effective TT and see what size Madone comes closest.
You nailed it, really short reach here, long legs, short torso, short arms. Not much out there stock with a tall enough head tube at the correct TT length, and custom is even more expensive for something nice. I am still going to be running some spacers on the steerer tube on the performance fit, though. I don't think they went far enough with this fit option, but hey, they are the ones with the bike company, right?

Thanks for checking that for me, RT, I kind of of figured that I needed the tall one, but you put my mind at ease
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
randomguy said:
You nailed it, really short reach here, long legs, short torso, short arms. Not much out there stock with a tall enough head tube at the correct TT length, and custom is even more expensive for something nice. I am still going to be running some spacers on the steerer tube on the performance fit, though. I don't think they went far enough with this fit option, but hey, they are the ones with the bike company, right?

Thanks for checking that for me, RT, I kind of of figured that I needed the tall one, but you put my mind at ease

They also offer in 2 set-backs( 5mm and 20mm) plus one is called a +10 which puts you forward. The bike comes standard with the 20mm setback. Also, I wouldn't assume they'll change it out, make sure and ask. Or have them order the bike off the P1 site and you can spec it with the longer mast from Trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Seriously... you're going to order a $6000+ bike and you cant take a lunch hour or couple hours vacation or something to go make sure you're getting sized right?

If your time is that valuable, maybe you can pay the bike shop to come to you...
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
BTW - you can do fine in a custom for 6 K - and with your measurements you will definitely get a better fit.

You can make a lot of bikes fit - but it is always better to buy one that does fit from the start. You will have to make that Trek fit, and there will be compromise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pdh777 said:
BTW - you can do fine in a custom for 6 K - and with your measurements you will definitely get a better fit.

You can make a lot of bikes fit - but it is always better to buy one that does fit from the start. You will have to make that Trek fit, and there will be compromise.
The Trek comes close to an ideal geometry for me, based on both the fitting I did a few months back and things I have been tossing around in my mind for the last couple of years. The only thing that isn't ideal is the the head tube length, an extra 2cm would be ideal. Er, maybe a BB with an 8.0 drop would be nice, too.

A full custom Parlee with DA7900 would set me back a couple of extra thousand. Probably money well spent, but that may be just a bit out of reach here. Can't go totally ape-crap wild on this bike in this economy.
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
I don't know your measurements but I will say it appears as though you are going to be sitting up pretty high on that bike on the seat and with the extra spacers - therefore changing the center of gravity for you and therefore the handling of the bike.
Not saying the Trek isn't a good bike, just saying you can do better.

Parlee are great bikes - and his prices are at the high end of the CF custom spectrum.

For other CF custom look into Guru, IF, Seven and many others with a variety of prices.

I am sure there are other posters who could offer other reasonably priced CF custom makers who could hit your price point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
I think it's hard to beat Trek's current engineering feats. Sure, you can get more exclusive... in fact, it would be hard not to.

I agree that fit should be a big deal--before you put down $6k+, you should have a full-fledged fitting and make sure you're getting a bike that makes sense. There are geometry variations between brands--some will fit you better than others. For example, a Cervelo RS has a 1cm taller headtube.

For most people, you don't need a custom frame to get the right fit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't spend the time and money to get a bike (Trek or Parlee) that fits right.
 

·
Rub it............
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
You won't be able to run extra spacers under the stem unless your dealer can get a new UNCUT fork and do a special install for you. MOST forks come pre-installed when shipped to the bike shops, and all of the bikes that I have assembled, the steerer tube is already cut to length, dependent on the frame size with a couple of spacers already installed.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
pdh777 said:
I don't know your measurements but I will say it appears as though you are going to be sitting up pretty high on that bike on the seat and with the extra spacers - therefore changing the center of gravity for you and therefore the handling of the bike.
I don't agree. The OP has given no indication that he's going to run an excessive amount of spacers, so that's a non issue. If you look at the chart, the 54 cm with the tall mast (160mm's) maxes saddle height out at 77 cm's, so the OP will be in an acceptable range. In fact, this type of situation is why Trek offers three different masts - to accomodate a broader range of riders.

Besides which, if changing bar height, saddle to bar drop or saddle height actually did change handling characteristics in any discernable way, no one would ever swap their OEM bars for deep drop/ shallow drop, change stem angle, or go from a shorter/ longer stem (assuming they're within standard ranges).

If there's any drawback here at all, it's that the OP is near the limit of seat mast travel. If he ever decides to change pedals/ shoes he runs the risk of going past the max limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
MarvinK said:
Seriously... you're going to order a $6000+ bike and you cant take a lunch hour or couple hours vacation or something to go make sure you're getting sized right?

If your time is that valuable, maybe you can pay the bike shop to come to you...
ditto, for 6k you should make sure your fit, fits the bike and that you enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
I have to agree..

you could do so much more with a custom rig.. I went with IF and I have to say, it was cheaper and fit me so much better than what I was looking at.. I'm so happy and another biggy for me was NO ONE has one that looks like mine.. With Trek, they are all over the place.. I'm like the only IF in town! I'd say step a way from the transaction a week, just to make sure.. Don't try to get a bike to fit you, get one that DOES fit you, you WILL be so much HAPPIER in the end.. Trust me, I've been there MANY times..
 

·
Hold your line!
Joined
·
177 Posts
Cool.........Enjoy your new ride.

I just received the call from my Trek dealer, my new Madone 6.5 w/DA 7900 just arrived (finally, I ordered it 12/29).

I'm picking it up Saturday. Can't wait! Daylight savings starts this weekend so our regular group rides in this area start next week. Perfect timing (if the weather cooperates).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MarvinK said:
I think it's hard to beat Trek's current engineering feats. Sure, you can get more exclusive... in fact, it would be hard not to.

I agree that fit should be a big deal--before you put down $6k+, you should have a full-fledged fitting and make sure you're getting a bike that makes sense. There are geometry variations between brands--some will fit you better than others. For example, a Cervelo RS has a 1cm taller headtube.

For most people, you don't need a custom frame to get the right fit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't spend the time and money to get a bike (Trek or Parlee) that fits right.
The RS seat tube is too slack, I can't get kops at all unless I am at 74 degree angle. Also, I did get a fit, an obscenely expensive fit ($375) for a guy that taught at the Serotta fitting school for a couple of years. Not that fits don't vary, I know they do, but it confirmed my own diagnosis. It should work fine, but if not, I will sell it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MarvinK said:
Seriously, you might check out the Cervelo RS and its tall headtube. You can get nicer parts at a significant discount:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_FRAME&PRODUCT.ID=4529

Or maybe a Felt Z-Series... which might even be a better fit:

http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/z-series/09-z15.aspx
http://www.bikesale.com/2009-felt-z15.aspx
The Felts are coming in at just a touch too long in the top tube for me, otherwise I would consider it despite the lackluster looks.

The other bike I looked at was the 585 Optimum, but just liked the Trek better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jtsk said:
Cool.........Enjoy your new ride.

I just received the call from my Trek dealer, my new Madone 6.5 w/DA 7900 just arrived (finally, I ordered it 12/29).

I'm picking it up Saturday. Can't wait! Daylight savings starts this weekend so our regular group rides in this area start next week. Perfect timing (if the weather cooperates).
Cool! You'll have to post pictures.

Which color choice did you end up with?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top