Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The US so kicked Sweden's butt in curling. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I mean really, what else is there to do in your new country? You guys should rule the sport.

Aloha from 80 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees year round.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Is he even awake yet?

It's, like, dark there until noon this time of year, right?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sn69 said:
It's, like, dark there until noon this time of year, right?
Just trying to make his morning special. I am a ex-submariner limited duty officer, there is no such thing as going too far.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Don't ask, don't tell, don't draw pictures.

My only under-underway time was on the Lipsomb. My gawd, that was a varsity goofy boat.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
bigbill said:

I mean really, what else is there to do in your new country? You guys should rule the sport.

Don't pick on Sweden- they never do well in the Olympics (as the Norwegian press so frequently points out).

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
filtersweep said:
Don't pick on Sweden- they never do well in the Olympics (as the Norwegian press so frequently points out).
Does this mean that Sweden and Norway have a US/Canada relationship?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Oh, now you guys are really getting on my nerves :mad:. I guess the men's loss makes us even because the women's team beat the US 5-4 :D . Just wait until Sweden plays the US in men's hockey on 19/2...now this should be good.

Norway has done incredibly well in recent winter olympics. A country with even less population than Sweden that is capable of winning almost all and any skiing event there is. I don't think there is the same type of love-hate sports relationship between Sweden and Norway as with Canada and the US. An example of this is when they play each other. I really love to see Canada kick the US's butt in hockey. Hockey is religion in Canada, and Americans really don't have hockey in their blood the way we do. Plus, playing in states like Texas and Florida is pure idiotic, even if Tampa won the last Stanley Cup. Give us Boston, Detroit, Colorado, New York and Philadelphia, these cities I can accept. But Tampa Bay?? and Dallas? and San Jose?? Anyway, it's easier to accept if Norway beats Sweden in skiing, for some reason. Sweden might not do as well as Norway during the winter olympics, but we're definitely better than them in the summer games :).

As for darkness thing, it isn't as bad now as during Christmas when we have daylight from 10-13. These days it's from 7.30-16.00, and the days will keep getting longer and longer until we have almost 24 hour daylight by midsummer in June.

All right, that's enough ranting. Time here is 10.43, time to get some work done.
Cheers from a beautiful white, wintery landscape

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bigbill said:

I still say curling is a made up sport--how exactly does one get into curling? do they have curling leagues? little league curling?

"here son...your first curling broom...I'm so proud!"

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I still say curling is a made up sport--how exactly does one get into curling? do they have curling leagues? little league curling?

"here son...your first curling broom...I'm so proud!"
Yes they do. Minnesota, Upstate NY, etc. Pick anyplace in the US where it's easily below zero and you can go "ice shuffle boarding". It isn't any more made up than 50% of the other Olympic events...it's the only one where you can sport a well seasoned beer gut tho. :p

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
chuckice said:
Yes they do. Minnesota, Upstate NY, etc. Pick anyplace in the US where it's easily below zero and you can go "ice shuffle boarding". It isn't any more made up than 50% of the other Olympic events...it's the only one where you can sport a well seasoned beer gut tho. :p
any "sport" where you can do just as well after drinking 12 beers isn't a sport in my book.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
any "sport" where you can do just as well after drinking 12 beers isn't a sport in my book.

Eee gads. Now you are suggesting that bowlers aren't athletes. I am troubled. That was my primary winter cross training, after all.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
chuckice said:
Of course it is...it just doesn't require you to be an athlete.
There are lots of non-athletic sports, think darts, pétanque, checkers and picking one's nose. Note that they are all pointless (except the nose-picking), dull and ehh, dull. Just like curling.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
rogger said:
There are lots of non-athletic sports, think darts, pétanque, checkers and picking one's nose. Note that they are all pointless (except the nose-picking), dull and ehh, dull. Just like curling.
Don't forget Nascar. :D :cool: :eek:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
chuckice said:
Don't forget Nascar. :D :cool: :eek:
I have a blind spot for the bloody obvious, sorry about that. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
rogger said:
Not sports- competitions yes, sports no.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Darts..

rogger said:
Is not a pointless game. If it were, they wouldn't stick in the board.....jeebus some people are dense. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts