Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spring break is coming up soon: March 8 - 12. While most of my fellow scholars will be hitting the beaches for a week of beer- and sex-filled debauchery, I'm thinking about a few days of cycling debauchery in the hills of NC. Not precisely sure where I'm going, but spending a couple days riding out of Boone and a couple days out of Ashville seems logical.

Any suggestions on some must-see routes, or ideas on better towns to use as "base camps" than Boone and Ashville? If any of you can take a day off work and want to join me, that'd be money.

I'm probably looking at 60-100 miles a day. I think some or all of the Blood, Sweat and Gears route would be nice, and the latter part of the Assault on Mt Mitchell. Other than that, I'm clueless. I just hope the Parkway will have thawed enough to ride (it's still buried in snow up in my neck of the woods).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
AllUpHill said:
My spring break is coming up soon: March 8 - 12. While most of my fellow scholars will be hitting the beaches for a week of beer- and sex-filled debauchery, I'm thinking about a few days of cycling debauchery in the hills of NC. Not precisely sure where I'm going, but spending a couple days riding out of Boone and a couple days out of Ashville seems logical.

Any suggestions on some must-see routes, or ideas on better towns to use as "base camps" than Boone and Ashville? If any of you can take a day off work and want to join me, that'd be money.

I'm probably looking at 60-100 miles a day. I think some or all of the Blood, Sweat and Gears route would be nice, and the latter part of the Assault on Mt Mitchell. Other than that, I'm clueless. I just hope the Parkway will have thawed enough to ride (it's still buried in snow up in my neck of the woods).

Thanks,
Matt
Try www.dupontforest.com. This is a great place to ride. I usually go down during the fall when it's nice and cool. 100's of miles to ride. Lots of HILLS!!!!!!!!!! This is also a favorite place of mine for mtn biking (Burnt Mtn).

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Good time for it!

Try ABRC.net to set up some rides with locals. I know almost everyone there so send me a message and I can arrange a ride with good fun people to show you the good routes. Otherwise, go to Liberybicycles in Asheville for maps of rides in the area. The parkway will still be closed and I highly recommend it. It is safe no traffic and out standing views. My favorite time of the year is riding the parkway in winter. Your sure to see other cycliests up there

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks, 110. I may get in touch when I plan this a little more. Gotta buy a DeLorme atlas of N.C. first.

·
not feeling creative
142 Posts
I rode about 40 miles on the parkway south of asheville yesterday and only had to walk around ice and snow maybe 3 times. It is nice going for 20-30 miles before seeing anyone.

AllUpHill said:

Thanks,
Matt

·
ready for retirement
68 Posts
Burnsville

Try the Burnsville (and Bakersville) areas between Boone and Asheville. I rode the Burnsville Metric last year and really enjoyed the area. I'm going back for that ride this year. Nice hills combined with flat river roads. I think this is the link for info/pics: www.bicycleinn.com

Wish I could join up and get some miles in. Have a great break!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts