Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Well as a mountain biker now I got a killer deal on a frame to built up. Question before building up is the size: I'm pretty tall 6'2" 198LBs. The frame I aquired has a Seat tube measuring 56.5cm, 55cm on top tube. It's kind of hard to measure out with a bare frame as I invision the components on there by acting like I'm siting on it. I'm afraid that my knee and albows are touching pretty close but I may be far back on where I would think the handlebars would be.

I'm debating on building it up or just get another frame that will fit me before investing in parts to find that it doesn't fit my size class.

So in General is there any size chart or someone who can give me a ballpark on who this 56.5cm frame would fit?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Thomas Frkovich

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Assuming your body is normally proportioned, you probably need a 60-62 (a ball park number). A 56.5 frame with a 55 toptube is more like a Medium and will fit someone around 5'9"-5'10", possibly 5'11" (just for comparison, Lance is 5'10" and rides a 58cm bike). Unless you are using the bike only for occassional 5-milers to the coffee shop, you are better off getting the right size frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I figured it was a bit too small anyways, just didn't want to admit it:) Oh well, either way thanks for the info I'm greatly appreciated for it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
FWIW, I'd say 60-62, too.

I'm 6'4", and the improvement when I moved from a 62cm frame to a 64 was huge (many bike shops stock only to 62, and to make a sale they'll offer to put on a longer seat post or whatever and "it'll be fine." When I bought a bike that actually fit, I could immediately ride farther in comfort, which got me into better shape and made me faster). At your height, and assuming normal proportions, I don't think I'd get serious about anything smaller than 60.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eBay it might be

Yeah, I might do that but shipping sucks. If anyone is intrested, here's the specs below (I'm out in the San Francisco Bay Area CA for anyone that wants it):

$80 Cash

The frame is hella sweet and light. I just picked this up on CL yesterday but jumped on the deal too fast as I discovered that it's not for me and VERY VERY BUMMED about it (my fault for not researching my size first). Nice light frame that weighs 3.5 lbs. An awsome build up for a inexpensive, light weight rain/beater bike. And the bad, but not bad bad just cosmetic bad... The frame is straight but has two big dents on both sides of the top tube.

SPECS
Seat tube: 56.5cm c-t
Top tube: 55cm
BB: 68mm English
Rear dropout spacing: 130mm
Head tube dia: 1"
Head tube length: 15.5mm
Seat post dia: 27.2mm
Fits 700c wheels

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry about your frame. If you don't have a local bike shop that you want to consult about size, there's a decent fit calculator at competitivecyclist. I was in SF over the Christmas break and had a nice conversation with Ari at City Cycles. I can't (yet) buy the bike he'd like to sell me but I bet he could provide a solid fit recommendation.

FWIW I'm 6'1", 34" inseam and I ride a frame with a 59cm top tube.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Double post

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
What are you going to do on the bike? Recreational riding? Racing? Unless you are going to be an all-out racer, I'd stick with a 62cm frame. Your back will thank you in a few years, especially if you keep your saddle height within an inch or two of your handlebar height. You won't win style points with the racing crowd, but you will be much more comfy.

Try selling that other frame on craigslist.com. Craigslist SF has a monstrously huge bicycle section.

Good luck.

- FBB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What I wanted to do

Thanks for all the replies I'm surprised at how many more Roadies are out there than Mountain Bikers:) Awesome help and thanks to all.

As far as riding goes I'm pretty heavy into XC and a little free riding on my MTN Bikes. However there are days like today and seems to be that MTB is seasonal sometimes that when the weather is bad, I can just take out a road bike and hit the block locally a few miles to keep up with my pedaling power. The long street I live on goes towards the mountains and is steep so while the MTBikes are in the garage during bad/cold weather, I have something else to ride other than a trainer at home (boring). Yes I might be a bit more aggressive and drive fast on a Road Bike so it does make sense to stick to the correct fit as many of you have mentioned on having a normal proportioned body, and the back saving precautions. But mostly to build up calf muscles and forarms.

The last few posts did me a big favor because my inseam is 34 and the config of that replier is a few CM's way bigger than what I have. But maybe even a swap out for a Steel Frame may be an option and just powder coat which many seem to do but how old can a classic frame have to be to accept a three piece crank that is BB Capible?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The sporting goods store I bought my Trek 1200 from sold me a 56cm frame. I am 6'1", and now I don't have the money for a new bike until probably summer 2007 when I'm out of college. Needless to say I was kinda pissed when I found out, but it wasn't until recently. I wonder if I should just buy a bigger aluminum frame and use the Tiagra parts from my Trek?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
A CAAD5 on ebay should run you less than $200. Good luck.

scfishy said:
The sporting goods store I bought my Trek 1200 from sold me a 56cm frame. I am 6'1", and now I don't have the money for a new bike until probably summer 2007 when I'm out of college. Needless to say I was kinda pissed when I found out, but it wasn't until recently. I wonder if I should just buy a bigger aluminum frame and use the Tiagra parts from my Trek?

·
naranjito
785 Posts
that frame is probably a bit small for you, but FWIW i´m 184cm tall (6 foot), and ride an orbea 56cm (c-c) (60cm c-t) frame with a 56cm TT and 12cm stem, to give an idea of reach. i´ve recently ordered a pinarello paris carbon in a 54cm, which although is sized 2cm smaller in the ST, has the same HT length and is a few mm shorter in the TT only, not enough to be a problem. depending on whether you have longer legs or torso, you may be able to make it work without too many compromises. it all depends on the type of riding you do though and your flexibility, etc.
you could build it up and if it does't work out then you can easily swap the parts over to another frame. the only parts you might have to buy again would be the stem, seatpost and front mech, depending on the difference in dimensions and spec. between this frame and the other one.

foz

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Be careful.....

Thomas_Frkovich said:
The last few posts did me a big favor because my inseam is 34 and the config of that replier is a few CM's way bigger than what I have. But maybe even a swap out for a Steel Frame may be an option and just powder coat which many seem to do but how old can a classic frame have to be to accept a three piece crank that is BB Capible?
Bike Inseam is not the same as pants inseam. I'm 6'0" and wear 33inche inseam pants (83.8 CM) However, my Bike inseam is closer to 35 inches (88 CM). You measure Bike inseam from the floor (In bare feet) to the base of your sit bones. Take a book and pull it up between your legs until it hits bone, have someone measure from the top of the book to the floor....it is always longer than pants inseam. I would bet your bike inseam is longer than 34.

Now check your bike inseam against the charts. My guess is that you need a 59 or a 60 frame C to C.

Len

·
Registered
100 Posts
zooog said:
any chance of return at store???Seemed they screwed you with a frame they had on hand....
No, I don't think I can return it. I've had the bike for too long.

I think I'm going to get a frame on ebay and build it up. The Specialized frames come in 58 and 60cm, anybody have a recommendation on which one would be better for me (6'1" 34" inseam if you don't feel like scrolling up)?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
scfishy said:
No, I don't think I can return it. I've had the bike for too long.

I think I'm going to get a frame on ebay and build it up. The Specialized frames come in 58 and 60cm, anybody have a recommendation on which one would be better for me (6'1" 34" inseam if you don't feel like scrolling up)?
With a 34" inch inseam, I doubt anything less than 60cm would fit.....

How long are your arms? If you are long legged with short arms, you might rule out some brands frames due to geometry favoring a longer top tube than seat tube.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,772 Posts
Tryt wrenchscience

.com.

They have a pretty comprehensive bike fit calculator that will get you within 1 cm or so of the frame specs you need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts