Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm a relative beginner here so need some advice. How much would you pay for this set-up...

and would it be a suitable buy for me? I'm 6ft2 and doing the highland cross in the summer.

Thanks,
Alistair

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
more info needed

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Um... I know you're new, but you must know we can't tell you the value without knowing some specifics like the complete components list, and we can't tell you whether it will fit you if we don't know the bike's size!

Good luck though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's the description the seller gave me...

brand new argon 18 radon racing cycle.alli main frame with carbon forks and rear end.

10 speed ultegra groupset itm bars and stem mavic cxp22 rims

57cm centre to top.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, now that we know the bike's size, we need to know your size. i.e., inseam length, overall height, etc. Are you able to take it for a test ride? If you don't fit on the bike, then it's pretty much worthless to you.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Without being able to address the fit issue (as others have noted), I think that from a private seller (so you aren't getting LBS support and I'm not sure of warranty status), I'd say around $1000 USD tops.

If this is a retail purchase, then you can price shop online for a sense of what these really bring.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
That's not a 10 speed in the picture.
The wheels in the pic are not the CXP. They look like Dura Ace wheels to me. Ask pictures of the CXP's. CXP's are much cheaper thann DA wheels.

Ask the seller for specifics like:
-Mileage
-Has the frame been in a crash?
-Has it been raced?
-Is he the first owner?
These are very important points in determining the possible value of the bike.
Read articles on fit before you buy ANY bike.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Too small and the pictures don't match the parts listed at all.

Walk away.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
achisholm said:
Hi, i'm a relative beginner here so need some advice. How much would you pay for this set-up...

and would it be a suitable buy for me? I'm 6ft2 and doing the highland cross in the summer.

Thanks,
Alistair
Sounds like the perfect fit and an even better deal. Go for it!

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
stihl said:
That's not a 10 speed in the picture.
The wheels in the pic are not the CXP. They look like Dura Ace wheels to me. Ask pictures of the CXP's. CXP's are much cheaper thann DA wheels.

Ask the seller for specifics like:
-Mileage
-Has the frame been in a crash?
-Has it been raced?
-Is he the first owner?
These are very important points in determining the possible value of the bike.
Read articles on fit before you buy ANY bike.

Maybe I assumed too much from the phrase "brand new." These are always good questions when buying a used bike.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If the seller can't even get 10 speed or 9 speed right, how can you trust him on the description.

As for the DA wheels, it's a very common trick to shoot pictures with a nicer set of wheels than those included in the deal, sometimes even with a busty lady.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would probably steer clear as well -- as others have pointed out, the 57 is likely to be too small, and that is clearly 9-speed Ultegra. Also, those are not Dura Ace wheels. They look to me to be the r550 model -- or the 105-level Shimano wheels, which would be more in-line with the bike and the components shown. You can find those wheels online, new, for about $200.

·
Registered
773 Posts
those look like Shimano 105 (M540) wheels.

Depending on how the current owner rides the bike, I wouldn't pay more than $1500.

Also, if you have an eBay account then do a simple search for completed items for Argon bikes.

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
212 Posts
Argentius said:
That doesn't look like what's described -- I see a 9s Ultegra crank, and a low end prebuilt wheelset...
It also looks like 2004 Ultegra (2005 has the BB axle integrated with the crank).

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Argentius said:
That doesn't look like what's described -- I see a 9s Ultegra crank, and a low end prebuilt wheelset...
I've seen that frame before, with different "brand names" attached to it. It's a $100 frame.......

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
$1500 ? Pass that bong over here.

First off, that frame does not look like a 57. The down tube is almost touching the top tube at th ehead tube, that makes it about a 54-55 in traditional geometry. The grouppo is indeed older 9 speed Ultegra. The steerer is cut also.

This is a used ebay bike from an off-kilter seller. I would value it at $0 to $400 US max.

$1500 gets me a pretty good Ultegra bike at an LBS with a warantee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What the others said.

It doesn't look like a 57 to begin with, and even if it was 57, it's too small for you if you are 6'2"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.