Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.......um.......how long did it take you guys to hang your azzes out there with bike shorts? I dont know if I can graduate to hanging my azz out there or be cool with my balls and sausage imprint laid bare on the worlds stage. How are you guys so free? I have a healthy dose of self esteem but damn. I remember a large assed roadie in full gear road by my girlfriend and I one time while we were in my car and it felt like he rubbed his ass on us it was so dramatic. We looked at each other and were like GODDAMN we just got violated.:cryin: Not sure I have the balls to return the favor to the masses lol. Im dead azz serious. Whats the secret to such freeness?:D

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
I usually wear regular clothes, sometimes with bike shorts underneath. I usually go somewhere on my bike and walk around, go into a store or whatever. It is kinda dumb for me to get all clowned up and then walk into a grocery store.

If I go on a supported ride, (a century or charity ride for example) and I am with a few thousand other clowned up people then I will just wear my cycling kit.

· What the Hell is going on
5,904 Posts
Buy only black shorts as this will lessen your "twigs and berries" drawing attention.

Seriously, if you plan to ride a lot (race?) your crotch will thank you. When I started riding about 20 years ago I was embarrassed to wear cycling shorts too. I got over it after about 2 weeks. Besides, no one is looking if you're on your bike (or off the front, where you should be).

· Banned
6,492 Posts
How about mountain bike shorts?

I haven't worn Lycra in 10 or 12 years. I still have two or three pairs in the drawer, but I do all my riding in either mountain bike shorts or street shorts over Andiamos. Might not work for everybody, but it's completely comfortable for me, and I can walk into Starbuck's without feeling like a doof. I never did warm up to the cartoon superhero look anyway.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Mirror-image thinking.

I don't think other people really care what you wear.
dadwhobikes makes a good point. You're just projecting your and your girlfriend's reaction onto other people. Very few people would have such strong feeling as you and her did on seeing a big azz encased in Lycra. As a matter of fact, many people in cars don't notice bike riders at all. Relax and enjoy the comfort.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Snakebitten said:
So.......um.......how long did it take you guys to hang your azzes out there with bike shorts? I dont know if I can graduate to hanging my azz out there or be cool with my balls and sausage imprint laid bare on the worlds stage. How are you guys so free? I have a healthy dose of self esteem but damn. I remember a large assed roadie in full gear road by my girlfriend and I one time while we were in my car and it felt like he rubbed his ass on us it was so dramatic. We looked at each other and were like GODDAMN we just got violated.:cryin: Not sure I have the balls to return the favor to the masses lol. Im dead azz serious. Whats the secret to such freeness?:D
Get over it. Nobody is all that impressed with your johnson anyway.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Snakebitten said:
I remember a large assed roadie in full gear road by my girlfriend and I one time while we were in my car and it felt like he rubbed his ass on us it was so dramatic. We looked at each other and were like GODDAMN we just got violated.:cryin:
Any girl that would balk at men spandex is obviously a lesbian. Sure, there are some that you'd rather not look at, but there are more than enough others to hold your attention from those :rolleyes:

· Registered
838 Posts
Bike shorts come in different weight fabrics, e.g., 6 ounce, 7 ounce, 8 ounce. I have found that the heavier fabrics are more modest. If you bike to work and enter your place of business in biking shorts, it's probably a good idea not to push the limits too far.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Nimitz said:
what type of shorts are you wearing over your biking shorts?

Chad
Wearing shorts over biking shorts has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. Do you wear 2 swimming suits also?

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Here's a trick to help you get over yer shyness-

Get a pair of running shorts- the really feather-light ones. Now put on your bike shorts and jersey. Stuff the running shorts in your jersey pocket. If you need to stop and go into any stores or churches or where ever else you feel embarrassed to go, pull the shorts out of yer back pocket and put them on.

Once yer on the bike, trust me, no one is looking at you. No one cares.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Wearing shorts over biking shorts has to be one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. Do you wear 2 swimming suits also?
roger that. either wear MTB baggies or Grant it up and wear your seersucker shirt with hemp cargo shorts or something if you can't muster the courage to wear proper kit.

· Registered
596 Posts
Conquering my own bike-shorts fears

When I began commuting on my mountain bike in May (usually wearing mountain bike shorts w/ cotton boxer-briefs as I've always done), I started to get very uncomfortable after about 3 days -- chafing, sores, ect. I thought I just had to get "used" to riding every day again, since it has been several years (and about 40 pounds) since I've ridden with any frequency. Seriously, I was waking up some nights raiding my daughter's diaper-changing table for the baby power to calm the chafing in my nether regions -- NOT GOOD!!! -- although the lavendar scent from the power was so nice and calming for the senses.:blush2:

I bought some shorts -- just some cheap 6-panel or something shorts with a gel padded chamois -- when I got my roadie because they gave me a 20% discount on gear at the LBS and I thought I'd try them out ('cuz thats what roadies seem to wear). Fortunately, started reading this site the same day and I ditched the undies in light of the sage counsel given by people on this site (I had no idea). My discomfort issues went away as quickly as they came! I didn't know what I was missing -- chafing aside, the shorts are just sooooo much more comfortable on the bike. I guess it is like sking or other specific sports -- I only wear Goretex on the mountain for a reason. Likewise, I've determined that cyclists wear the sport-specific clothes for a reason -- 'cause it works!

Now, while commuting, I do wear pull out some loose basketball shorts over the lycra in and out of the office to save my co-workers any trauma. But on the bike after a while, I am just enjoying the comfort, my new bike and the ride, and not worrying/caring who is looking! It has only taken me a couple of weeks to get over my own phobia. You can do it, too (and take comfort that, at 6'0, 220lbs, you can't look worse than I do in them!).

· Registered
70 Posts
When ever I go out I always wear my shorts and jersey. I don't bike with anything covered. The way I see it, I'm out there for me. Not only am I getting in better shape, but the quiet time is meditative. My favorite jersey is my Oscar the Grouch jersey, and that may explain my personality a bit, followed by my Discovery channel Jersey. Forget everyone else and worry about you, after all its your time while your on the bike not theirs :D :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.