Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the Community! The site administrator boilerplate suggests that I say that. So, hello, good day!

I’ve biked off an on since the late 90’s, starting with a handful of experiences at the Rosarito – Ensenada 50-miler. We did those on mountain bikes. With average knobby tires. And didn’t bring water. Things that were fun to learn about. A Tecate saved me one year. I cramped full body one year and fell off the bike in some dusty iceplant on the shoulder around mile 40 another year. (Maybe it was the same year!?). We learned about hydration and Camelbaks, and slicks within a few years. Did it in 2:47 the last year we did it, in 2003.

That was the first year I decided to do something else with my once-a-year earned fitness, and 2003 was my first triathlon. I wasn’t good. Turns out 9-minute miles in the run won’t cut it. Matt Fitzgerald said the best way to become a good triathlon runner was to become a runner. So I started 5k’s. And many years later, I’ve only completed two official bike rides longer than the Rosarito-Ensenada 50: the Great Western Bicycle Rally Metric Century in 2003 (I was shooting for the Century, but blew up my barely adequately trained legs in the 10-mile time trial on the first day), and last weekend’s Solvang’s Finest Century Metric Century. I paid for the shirt. (Didn’t the jerseys used to come with the entry fee?).

I have a 2013 Tarmac Pro Sram Red with Roval 23’s I bought used 7 months ago for $1575 dollars. Good deal, eh? My beloved 2003 Allez Elite was stolen in front of the Santa Monica YMCA 7 months ago. I had just put on a new 105 crankset and cassette. I will never see it again. The unwillingness of the YMCA, who have cameras pointing at the bike rack, to review footage until a police detective arrives is baffling and infuriating. “Why can’t we look right now?” I asked the manager. “Maybe he’s here?” Probably they do that so somebody doesn’t beat the crap out of some idiot who just stole a regular guy’s fairly beloved bike (that was cable locked) on YMCA property? The guys were probably long gone by the time I finished my 90-minute workout anyway. The police detectives took weeks to email they were investigating my case after I reported it. I strongly doubt they ever looked at the footage at the YMCA. Such is life in the big city.

So I sold my used 2013 Cervelo S2 that I never rode a lot. I was used to the Allez geometry I guess.

Kind of good, because I love my Tarmac.

My next two stories will be about (1) WEARING YOUR HELMET; and a (2) Solvang’s Finest Century Metric Century 2016 Race Report. It was actually hairy, and filled with some foul weather (although not hail like the fairly epic 2006 ride I’ve read about here--Retro Grouch’s race ‘saga’ report among others here are quite fun http://forums.roadbikereview.com/southern-california/solvang-century-49374-2.html ). My ride was also filled with ‘newbie’ mistakes (like a broken spoke on a smooth flat – “Wtf?” What do I do now?” Not the right things I’ve learned in retrospect. I did nothing actually… and the last 30 miles with serious brake rub I did not notice at the time and 8% climbs were let’s say difficult.) Til next time!

Cheers for now! Good riding to you!

Colby

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,798 Posts
Welcome, Colby.

Thanks for taking the time to read my '06 Solvang Century ride report. That was a good time :) .

Another Central Coast ride to consider is the Windmill Century out of Santa Maria. It occurs in July, and uses some of the same roads on its Southern leg of the course as the Solvang event.

It is cheaper and less crowded than the Solvang Century. The Windmill also includes a shirt and post-side bbq in the entry fee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Retro Grouch! Himself! I'll check those out, maybe let ya know if / when I get up there for one of those. Your posts are a hoot, epic rides too! Cheers, hope you're riding smooth and out of traffic!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome. Hope you keep up the enthusiasm. Thee used to be a "Solvang Prelude" 50 miler in Nov, but I just did a search and it seems like maybe that's now ancient history? Too bad, I enjoyed that one.

scott s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. Hope you keep up the enthusiasm. Thee used to be a "Solvang Prelude" 50 miler in Nov, but I just did a search and it seems like maybe that's now ancient history? Too bad, I enjoyed that one.

scott s.

Thanks Scott, I'll keep an eye for for more fun rides around there. But Drum Canyon is out for me! That cracked pavement is like a cyclocross course! Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts