Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question here.... I bought a frame recently and it uses the Campy Hiddenset standard. My question is whether I can buy any fork to use with the frame. Do Hiddenset headsets require special forks?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The one thing you will need is to get the "crown race" off of the old fork and put it on the new one. The crown race is specific to the headset, in this case Campy Hiddenset. This can be done without damaging it, but it can be tricky. Alternatively, you can usually find a crown race for the Campy Hiddenset for about $15 US if you look around (I think an LBS, if they had it, would sell it for >$30).

As for the fork itself, someone already mentioned the crown diameter. The other things you should look at is trying to match the rake and the crown/axle length. But that's not a matter of fitting the headset, that is a matter of keeping the bike's geometry and handling consistant.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Any fork will work but forks with a wider crown look better than a narrow crowned fork....The head tube is a larger diameter to accomodate the headset...Most of the carbon forks sold today have the wider crown

Don't different inernal headset manufacturers differ also in the outside diameter of the headtube? So, a fork designed with a wide crown to match a Campy Hiddenset Head tube would not match up well with a non-Campy Hiddenset head tube. I may be wrong there. Do you know if that is the case that there are different ODs on the head tubes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.