Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the doc for annual check up. He told me I have mild hypertension. That I may have to take medication for it. I have been monitoring it at home. Its around 155 over 90 usually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Me too. I am taking lysinopril. I do notice that after spinning for a while my BP will fall rather dramatically (e.g 140s/90s to 120s/70s). Without the drug I was sometimes hitting 160/100 (I have an annoying habit of having a high BP in a doctors office). I am not sure what this all means and have not gotten very clear answers from either my GP or a cardiologist about whether its the average, maximum or minimum BP that matters most (my GP suggested taking several readings a week at random times). I also have been concerned about my BP falling too low after a long ride.

So if you learn anything about these issues regarding athletic individuals who otherwise have no risk factors and elevated BP, I would like to hear of it.

Dancer

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
155/90 is definitely high. If you are overweight, losing weight can help, and if you are salt-sensitive, then reducing it in your diet can help. If you don't already, try and exercise most days of the week for 30-60 min a day.

Sometimes, no matter what, you will have high blood pressure (genetics), and you need to take drugs to keep it normal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Also rumored to help, try eating a handful of roasted, unsalted soy nuts every day and or a small amount of dark chcocolate (two herseys kisses).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I guess it's about time for this long time lurker to post something.

This info may or may not be useful since neither of you gave any info on your exercise habits or diet.

Almost 3 years ago and my performance was suffering. After going to the doctor for a complete physical, I found out I had mild hypertension. I did some research and found out about the DASH diet.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/h_eating/h_eating.htm

My diet previously consisted of fast food and lots of other highly processed food. I changed my habits and started eating as I should. I didn't follow the diet strictly as in counting servings, but I did only eat the type foods they recommend. It seemed in no time that my BP was controlled, I lost 25 pounds, and was riding better than ever. Wow, that almost sounds like something from an infomercial. I continue to be amazed at the people that witnessed me change before their eyes that still will not change their lifestyle.

Also, Dr. Gabe Mirkin has a lot of info on high blood pressure on his site.
http://www.drmirkin.com
Select 'Heart Health' from the menu on the left.

Dr. Mirkin is about 70 years old and cycles more than 200 miles a week. He has info on many things related to health and exercise. He is a proponent of the DASH diet and has a modified version on his site.

Dancer, he says it is important to check your BP in the evening. That should be when it is the lowest. The people at the highest risk have BP that remains high in the evening.

Unfortunately, as Andrea said, if it is genetic, you need the drugs.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
I have dealt with borderline high BP most of my adult life.
When I was single and living a monks life (Essentially the same as DASH) my blood pressure was pretty good. Later, I finally ended up on medicine for about a year until I discovered this little gem. It is a bit pricey, but it has worked for me well enough that I had to stop the meds. I was usually in 140's over high 70s. The day the doc checked me (no meds for 3 weeks) I checked at 112/68. 120's over 70s are more typical for me now.

http://www.resperate.com/us/welcome/index.aspx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dancer said:
Me too. I am taking lysinopril. I do notice that after spinning for a while my BP will fall rather dramatically (e.g 140s/90s to 120s/70s). Without the drug I was sometimes hitting 160/100 (I have an annoying habit of having a high BP in a doctors office). I am not sure what this all means and have not gotten very clear answers from either my GP or a cardiologist about whether its the average, maximum or minimum BP that matters most (my GP suggested taking several readings a week at random times). I also have been concerned about my BP falling too low after a long ride.

So if you learn anything about these issues regarding athletic individuals who otherwise have no risk factors and elevated BP, I would like to hear of it.

Dancer
any adverse side effects on the medication? I have a feeling I will be on one soon. Im thinking its gentetics and stress. my job gets me pretty heated at times.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
TiCruiser said:
I have dealt with borderline high BP most of my adult life.
When I was single and living a monks life (Essentially the same as DASH) my blood pressure was pretty good. Later, I finally ended up on medicine for about a year until I discovered this little gem. It is a bit pricey, but it has worked for me well enough that I had to stop the meds. I was usually in 140's over high 70s. The day the doc checked me (no meds for 3 weeks) I checked at 112/68. 120's over 70s are more typical for me now.

http://www.resperate.com/us/welcome/index.aspx
Not on med nor the resperate but I have also heard good things about the device.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Similar experience, my BP was high 140's over 90's. Was on HCTZ and Lisinopril, developed a really annoying dry hacking cough - a known side effect of Lisinopril. Switched to HCTZ and Cozaar, no more cough. BP relatively under control.

I too saw a big decrease in BP right after excercise, but it wasn't sustained. I got a home test machine and only check occasionally but I've never seen a abnormally low test result.

I do get light-headed if I crouch down with knees bent, e.g. to look at stuff on lower shelves at a store, so I need to make sure I don't stay in that position very long and/or steady myself on something when I straighten back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im thinking its gentetics and stress. my job gets me pretty heated at times
If you think it's stress related, the breathing thing that TICrusier mentioned seems a viable option. I spent a while reading the research and I can see it possibly being good for stress induced high BP. I would try something like this first though before I would spend the money for the Resperate device. http://www.wikihow.com/Lower-High-Blood-Pressure-Using-Slow-Breathing-with-Music Just because I'm cheap.:) Personally, I don't want to deal with drugs and side effects if I don't have to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Watch out for Hydrchlorothiazide, too. It's one of the BP drugs, that is sensitive to sun light. When I was on it, and spent a lot of time outside, I'd get dizzy spells, and a couple of times, I almost fainted/passed out. No bueno if you're on the bike.

I'm on a combo of Benazapril, and a very small dose of the Hydrchlorothiazide.

Take the pills, whether you feel you need 'em or not. It's real hard to ride a bike, after you've stroked out.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Long history of HBP in my folks and myself despite active lifestyle.
Weight is 180 at 6' 1" and I cycle 40 miles a day.
Eat low fat and lots of veggies.
The cycling has lowered the dose of my meds, but I still need 2 BP meds to keep my BP at or below 120/80.
Meds don't affect my workout except for climbing.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
kevhogaz said:
Watch out for Hydrchlorothiazide, too. It's one of the BP drugs, that is sensitive to sun light. When I was on it, and spent a lot of time outside, I'd get dizzy spells, and a couple of times, I almost fainted/passed out. No bueno if you're on the bike.

I'm on a combo of Benazapril, and a very small dose of the Hydrchlorothiazide.

Take the pills, whether you feel you need 'em or not. It's real hard to ride a bike, after you've stroked out.
Well, it is a loop diuretic. Is it possible you were dehydrated when you were outside? A loop diuretic would only intensify your dehydrated state, hence the dizzy spells and lightheadedness.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
Well, it is a loop diuretic. Is it possible you were dehydrated when you were outside? A loop diuretic would only intensify your dehydrated state, hence the dizzy spells and lightheadedness.
Just to be nitpicky, HCTZ is not a loop diuretic. It acts on the distal convoluted tubule. Drugs like furesomide (aka Lasix), on the other hand, act on the ascending loop of henle, so they are referred to as loop diuretics. Loop diuretics are typically the ones to make you more volume depleted, rather than drugs that act on the DCT (HCTZ).

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
ah, yes. Sorry about the mix up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At the time I was experiencing the dizziness, I was only on the HCTZ. After I told my doc about the problems, he was reminded of the same problems they had with the drug, when he was an Army doc.

I take a very small dose of it now, and have had no more problems since I went on the Benazapril. It's also very possible I was dehydrated, since I was not exercising at the time, smoked, and led a very "relaxed" lifestyle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
roadandtrail said:
any adverse side effects on the medication? I have a feeling I will be on one soon. Im thinking its gentetics and stress. my job gets me pretty heated at times.
Yes, I did have a problem with the original dose. I would feel light headed when rising from a chair and would bend over to lower my head for a bit to deal with it. I told my doctor about this and she suggested at the time to possibly lower the dose (10 mg). But I was thinking that the BP numbers were good so I thought I could deal with a little dizziness. Anyway, last September, while making coffee in the morning, I completely lost consciousness and ended up in the ER. $20,000 later, no evidence of heart, cardiovascular or neurological problems was found. (I still don't understand why they don't take me seriously about their treadmill stress test when I tell them what my maximum heart rate is and whether or not I am working hard). Anyway, I couldn't drive (state law) for 3 months (like this is a bad thing for a cyclist ;-), and for a time was told to lay off the drug. But my GP wanted me to try again at a 5 mg dose which is what I take now. I am still trying to figure out whether at this dose level I have any issues with side effects. I don't feel the lightheadedness but I have felt a kind of mental fog in the mornings and some oddness with my visual field every now and then.

Dancer

·
Banned
976 Posts
What's you age. . ?

roadandtrail said:
I have been monitoring it at home. Its around 155 over 90 usually.
Your pressure pulse is 65 which is wide. And regarding age, when you get over 40, doctors (intelligent ones) look more at the systolic number (upper). My lower number runs 85-90 but the upper runs only 120-124, which gives me a narrow pressure pulse. My doctor said he wold NOT put anyone on meds with a systolic number that low.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey all, my parents have one of those elecronic blood pressure readers than I use a few times a week to check my BP. My BP is usually around 140/65 or so which is very odd to me because my systolic pressure (140) is borderline high, but my diastolic pressure (65) is really low... has anyone had experience with this? Im not really overweight for my height and am moderately active for it being the dead of winter haha...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have always had borderline high BP. Exercize doesnt seem to affect it. I was on meds for a while but it made me feel lethargic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts