Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you choose out of these two racing bikes, assuming that the cost is the same:

1. Giant TCR Advanced Composite 2006 - Full shimano dura ace, kysrium ES wheels, 15.3 lbs fully built

2. Scott CR1 Team Issue 2006 - Full campagnolo record, fulcrum racing 1 wheels, 15.0 lbs fully built

·
Registered
177 Posts
I rode a Scott Team Issue a couple weeks ago. It had full Dura-Ace, Ksyrium SL wheels. I l loved the bike. I prefer Dura-ace over Campy personally so that is my preference. I'm just more comfortable with Dura-ace.

As for the Mavic ES wheels, I think they are just HOT, and they look particulalry good on a dark frame/carbon colored bike. The frame on the Scott performs wonderfully. It is responsive, stiff, but comfortable. And it looks VERY cool too. Scott CR-1's carry just a bit more 'custom' bike coolness in my eyes than the Giant TCR. This is not meant to discount Giant TCR's in any way, they are wonderful bikes. I just think Scott's are bit higher up the 'elite/custom' bike food chain. Just my opinion. No disrespect intended.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
What would you choose out of these two racing bikes, assuming that the cost is the same:

1. Giant TCR Advanced Composite 2006 - Full shimano dura ace, kysrium ES wheels, 15.3 lbs fully built

2. Scott CR1 Team Issue 2006 - Full campagnolo record, fulcrum racing 1 wheels, 15.0 lbs fully built
Any other choices?

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
of the two...

you mentioned,
I have a buddy who has a tcr and a buddy who has a scott.
I think the TCR ADvanced is the smoother ride, my buddy who has the scott says it's alittle on the too stiff side. There is campy vs shimano, and there is fulcrum vs Mavic to consider. If it was me, TCR Advanced.

·
Registered
180 Posts
TI_roadracer said:

Assuming the fit and comfort are the same, I would choose the Giant because it has Shimano (I just do not like the Campy shifters).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, giant has my size spot on with the ML having a top tube of 570mm. The scott has a Large with a top tube of 560mm or an XL with a top tube of 575mm, I would go for the L with a longer stem.

Does anyone find anything wrong with the shape of this frame:

https://www.magentareign.com/images/tcr_advanced.jpg

Particullary with the back bit being too low down, with reference to the rear wheel?

What do you recommend guys, problem is the giant sells for $5500 in the USA, but the scott goes for $8000; in my region the UK the price is the same for both bikes!

·
Registered
467 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
Well, giant has my size spot on with the ML having a top tube of 570mm. The scott has a Large with a top tube of 560mm or an XL with a top tube of 575mm, I would go for the L with a longer stem.

Does anyone find anything wrong with the shape of this frame:

https://www.magentareign.com/images/tcr_advanced.jpg

Particullary with the back bit being too low down, with reference to the rear wheel?

What do you recommend guys, problem is the giant sells for $5500 in the USA, but the scott goes for $8000; in my region the UK the price is the same for both bikes!
You need to consider that no two bike manafacturers measure their bike alike.With that said,you may or may not need a longer stem with the Scott.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
TI_roadracer said:
Since you are talking about stratospheric prices anyway, have you considered a custom Calfee?

http://www.calfeedesign.com/

Just a thought. I'm a ferrous kinda' guy, but I've heard very good things about the Calfees, and a custom bike is always nice!

Yours,

FBB

G

·
What kind of racing are you going to do? What are you looking for - stiffness for the frequent hard efforts in a crit or something a bit more flexy for longer road races over sometimes pretty nasty roads? Check out CyclingNews or Pez's Tech n Spec (just realize that he likes almost everything).

I've never ridden bikes in this class, and I don't think it's likely I ever will. But, I suggest that you spend some time figuring out what type of riding you want to to and what you are looking for in a bike - then test ride your top choices b/4 you buy.

You have so many options open up in that price range, BMC, Cervelo, Colnago , Orbea, Pinarello, De Rosa, Merckx, etc... have fun and take your time - that's alot of dough!!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
rocco said:
For what it's worth, I don't consider those frame choices to be all that "high end".
Man, what a jerk!!!:) The latest issue of Road magazine has a orangish/bronze Look 585 that speaks to me. I don't need, but I lust. C50 is a high end carbon IMHO.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
bigbill said:
Man, what a jerk!!!:) The latest issue of Road magazine has a orangish/bronze Look 585 that speaks to me. I don't need, but I lust. C50 is a high end carbon IMHO.

Now you're talk'n... and the Parlee Z3SL, Cervelo R3, Look 595 and Pina Paris carbon have varying degrees of lust worthiness too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.