Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Giant TCR Advanced SL bike and was thinking of upgrading my fitting from basic, to more advanced. My first bike, purchased two years ago, has been one size too big for me. Even with the bad fit I've put in nearly 9000 miles on the bike without any pain or sore muscles. So a basic fit is around $75 with more high end ones starting at $225 and up with some upselling. I'm based in So Cal.
Bike on the left is size Medium with the red one being Small. Thanks!

PS: My seatpost hasn't been cut, yet.

Attachments

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Seeing how the two bike are so far off from one another as is now (not even counting the seatpost), I'd say you need the help.

The bike on the left is not too big for you for one... go with the professional fit, and make sure it's not from a bike shop. Make sure it's from a real fitting company.

Have both bikes fitted or do some research on how to set up two bikes identically.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing how the two bike are so far off from one another as is now (not even counting the seatpost), I'd say you need the help.

The bike on the left is not too big for you for one... go with the professional fit, and make sure it's not from a bike shop. Make sure it's from a real fitting company.

Have both bikes fitted or do some research on how to set up two bikes identically.

Well it will be really hard to set up both bikes identically since one is a medium endurance bike while the other is a small race geometry. Also the TCR has an integrated seat post which hasn't been cut to fit my height.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Well it will be really hard to set up both bikes identically since one is a medium endurance bike while the other is a small race geometry. Also the TCR has an integrated seat post which hasn't been cut to fit my height.
If it's possible, it will not be hard, let alone really hard to do. Like I said, get the help of a real professional, a proper fit is not something to be messing around with, there's serious consequences.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The first bike has handlebars that are nearly as high as the seat. You have spacers in there to accomplish that. Is that what you wanted? Is that the same shop?.

Since you rode 9000 miles I would say your a very good cyclist and it does not make since to me that you would be in an old man position on the bike.

Anyway fitting is important and worth spending money on. I just wonder about a fitter that would put you in a bolt upright riding position but I do not know the whole story obviously.

Marco Pantani liked high handlebars but he climbed out of the saddle in the drops. I am guessing your not Marco Pantani but maybe you are.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
In my case a high end fitting was a great improvement.......over the previous high end fitting from another guy.
So like just about anything: It depends. Getting the perfect fit is worth a lot.....but paying a lot isn't a sure path to that or the only path to it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You can pay 250 bucks for a pro fitting, get it all dialed in, go to another pro fitter down the road, pay another 250 bucks, and have him change everything around. Fitting is kind of like that.

I wouldn't just arbitrarily choose a fitter because they charge more. If you can get some info/research about local fitters and go from there, it'd probably be beneficial. A great fitter can make a huge difference in comfort, power, and speed (aeroness) if you need help with any of those things, but what you need or want can only be determined by you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just got a new Giant TCR Advanced SL bike and was thinking of upgrading my fitting from basic, to more advanced. My first bike, purchased two years ago, has been one size too big for me. Even with the bad fit I've put in nearly 9000 miles on the bike without any pain or sore muscles. So a basic fit is around $75 with more high end ones starting at $225 and up with some upselling. I'm based in So Cal.
Bike on the left is size Medium with the red one being Small. Thanks!

PS: My seatpost hasn't been cut, yet.
I've had a high end fitting and it was worth every euro. It was done by a licenced physiotherapist with a university degree in sports sciences. I'd say: don't go for less.

I agree with MMsRepBike

Those are very different bikes. It's possible that you'll have to work a bit on your flexibility. It's a pity you haven't had a fitting before you bought the new bike. A good fitter could have given you a range of stacks and reaches for the new frame.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
You can pay 250 bucks for a pro fitting, get it all dialed in, go to another pro fitter down the road, pay another 250 bucks, and have him change everything around. Fitting is kind of like that.

This is why I don't put too much stock into "pro" fittings. I am not saying a fitting won't provide benefits but it not a very exact science

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
local bike shop did a phenomenal fit on my c-59. that didn't stop me from visiting the #1 fitting shop in the ny area. they didn't change a thing. i agree with the posts. if you don't have pain, you are probably wasting money.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
try an amateur fit first if that don't work go for the pro!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Are you looking for a Good fitting, or an expensive one????
Expensive fittings are not always good fittings.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
If you rode nearly 9000 miles on the bike without any pain or sore muscles, why would you call it bad fit?
Absence of pain or soreness doesn't necessarily mean the fit is perfect or even good. The OP may be young where a slightly off fit may not cause him pain.

Continued use of a bike that doesn't fit may cause injury down the road. That's why there is such a thing called repetitive use injuries. :idea: You also may not be as efficient as you could be.

That being said, a good fitting does not necessarily need to be a super expensive pro fitting. A reputable bike shop can do a good fit by putting you and your bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit. Any bike shop worth their weight will do this for free with a bike purchase. If you bring in a bike you didn't buy from them, it's not unreasonable for them to charge you around $100-200 for this service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts