Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing a lot more angry drivers lately, and it seems to have correlated in time to increasing prices at the pump. My theory, as drivers (especially trucks, SUVs and low MPG vehicles) pay more for gas they're angrier and taking it out on cyclists by honking more, swerving aggressively as they pass, riding right against the bike lane line when there's plenty of lane width.

I'm a courteous rider, and don't think I'm riding differently, but I've experienced an abundance of angry drivers lately.

Crazy or spot on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
I've noticed similar behavior lately, but can't decide if it's related to gas prices or the recent full moon.

We very nearly got run off the road 2 weeks ago by some jerk, and then he ended up behind us at the same intersection 3 days later.

*shrugs* Whatever the cause, we can't do much about it except ride safely and courteously. Be careful out there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I think the roads are just getting worse in general. I've seen cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers all behaving much worse of late. Blame it on cell phones, full moon, or a gradual acceptance of bad behavior leading to worse behavior.... I don't know.

Then again, I live in Boston, which is full of jaywalking nimrods and college idiots, all of them more concerned with their ipods and their cell phones than the consequences of 3000 pounds of steel gone awry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Dunno if the cause is gas prices, but have seen more aggressive drivers. Some of these idiots are crossing the bike lanes to the point I would just take paved trails and going to state parks to ride my bike. Perhaps it might also be weather related as the temperature has gone up the last few weeks.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome shot. Makes me want to find gridlock.

Hollywood said:
this probably isn't helping matters :)



yeah I'd say a combo of the heat, $5 gas and overall economic anxiety at some level for most.

then some bike passes you on the freeway and you blow your top!

// on the + side I seem to notice more cyclists on the road now than I do usually.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Can't tell if the drivers are angrier. Though now that I think about it, I've had more altercations lately. Maybe it's a combination of angrier drivers and shorter DrRoebuck fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
'Tis all of the above, and then some. They see you on a bike, it reminds them of what they should be doing themselves, and aren't. So they do the easy thing, and take it out on you. I don't have a lot of pity for people driving big SUV's; anyone with half a brain could see this coming. We just got really stupid, as a nation...but I'm certainly not going to go outta my way to aggravate 'em; Lord knows they're suffering enough at the pump already.Besides, they might shoot me, or run me down, or both:)
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,415 Posts
Yesterday I had a driver yell "Move, motherfarker!" and then speed past me to a stopped car about 10 feet in front of where I was riding. I was happy to find that he has plenty of fish stickers and Harvest Fest stickers on his car... not to mention the two small children in the back of the car. I rolled past him (and the rest of traffic) at a regular pace and beat him to the light, where he hit the red. I was probably at home by the time he made it down the street.

No wonder they're angry. Fat dudes in Lycra on skinny tires are rolling past them in their cars.


joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,459 Posts
thinkcooper said:
I've been seeing a lot more angry drivers lately, and it seems to have correlated in time to increasing prices at the pump. My theory, as drivers (especially trucks, SUVs and low MPG vehicles) pay more for gas they're angrier and taking it out on cyclists by honking more, swerving aggressively as they pass, riding right against the bike lane line when there's plenty of lane width.

I'm a courteous rider, and don't think I'm riding differently, but I've experienced an abundance of angry drivers lately.

Crazy or spot on?
What you need is "The Traffic Cop". Old school bikers used to carry a mini-sledge. When a driver cut them off or buzzed them, they'd catch up and issue them a "ticket"- taking out their rear view mirror. A new message must be sent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
What you need is "The Traffic Cop". Old school bikers used to carry a mini-sledge. When a driver cut them off or buzzed them, they'd catch up and issue them a "ticket"- taking out their rear view mirror. A new message must be sent.
I carry one of those....in my truck. Heavy little mofo! Can't believe any cyclist would carry 5lbs of steel just to misbehave. Yes, I would....:aureola:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,459 Posts
Speak softly...

Doggity said:
I carry one of those....in my truck. Heavy little mofo! Can't believe any cyclist would carry 5lbs of steel just to misbehave. Yes, I would....:aureola:
Carry it in a prominent place, decorate it with some splattered blood, some chrome chips, and some human hair, and you'll never have to use it. It's the deterrant factor that counts.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,599 Posts
Hollywood said:
yes.


kind of a spin-off from the monthly mass night ride (not Crit. Mass). It was pretty underground for the first freeway ride. Now 3 or so trips into it, its gotten lots of PR. Lots of controversy as you can imagine, even on the forums it originated from.

:D
That's awesome!

Disclaimer: I am in now way encouraging dangerous illegal activities. Still awesome tho. :)
 

·
Mess O'Potamist
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
I'm been getting more of the opposite - people giving me more room and acknowledging my presence with out horns, shouts and "salutes". And I've seen a very noticeable increase in bike commuters.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top