Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a set of high profile carbon whels.
Zipps, Reynolds, etc. Not sure about the cross wind handling.
Some claim to be great in cross winds, anyone have some experience/advice?
Thank you.

· Registered
650 Posts
Ummm... I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Of course a high profile rim is going to act like a sail in a crosswind. No amount of engineering is really going to change that. So if you are asking whether one brand will handle better in wind, the answer is probably not. I will say however, that my local shop has had a lot of problems with Reynolds wheels. Zipp obviously makes great wheels, but which is the best is really dependent on what you are using them for.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
It depends on a few things. how much do you weigh? Are you going on a TT rig w/ aerobars or just your road bike w/ regular drops? I've used a disc and Hed3 and also Hed Jet 60's. I weigh close to 200 lbs. so the winds don't really bug me. If you are a lighter rider, most any deeper rim will affect handling at first. If you are just using the wheels for crits or road races without aero bars it won't take long to get used to the handling. If you are going full TT, get a lot of practice in, by yourself, so you can determine the handling issue to your comfort level. I like Hed stuff, it's good stuff for fewer dollars.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
My 0.02 cents,

I used Reynolds wheels for a while and they were great.
I did feel some cross wind effect especially when the speed is high (like going down hill at 40mph+) or the windy day but it wasn't too bad.
I think the spoke matters as much as the rim depth.
Here is why I think that is.
I have a set of Shimano 7800 which has the thin oval shape spokes.
They don't seem to affect by the cross wind at all.
I also have a set of Fulcrum Zero's (which has the fat aluminum spokes) and they seem to have as much cross wind effect as my Reynolds....

I hope this helps....

G

·
It will depend a bit on your size as well, I am a bigger guy for a cyclist and never really notice it that much. The one time I do notice the crosswind effect more is when I take my hands off the bar for some reason, the front wheel isn't quite as steady as when riding on conventional wheels.

Biggest difference that I could tell between Reynolds and Zipps was in braking. Using Swisstop yellow pads for both I was never entirely happy with the way the Reynolds wheels braked, it got better over time but was never on par with Zipp carbon wheels. I haven't ever ridden the Zipps with the aluminum brake track, they may be even better.

· fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
I have Zipp 404 clinchers, this is my 2 cents worth regarding crosswinds- I notice some but I think that my Ksyrium SLs were worse with their fat spokes. I am a fairly light rider (150) and so on windy days I get blown around. Earlier in the season I rode on some days where the wind was 25-30mph and gusty and while I had to to proactive on the bike it was not bad with the Zipps.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

The comments have all been very helpful. I'm actually about 90% sure that I am going to get some Campy Boras.

I ride between 175-180 lbs., I live in Nebraska, we have wind+ 362 days a year. 100% road bike riding, no TT stuff. I just don't want to be blown all over the road. I currently ride Campy Neutrons (thin spoke, low profile) and Fulcrum 1 (flat/wide spoke and med profile). With the Fulcrum's you need to be careful before letting go of the bar, but overall not much difference.

It seems that more people are riding the deep dish stuff, if I don't go w/the Boras I will probably go with some Zipps.

Thanks again, all comments welcome.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
mriddle said:
The comments have all been very helpful. I'm actually about 90% sure that I am going to get some Campy Boras.

I ride between 175-180 lbs., I live in Nebraska, we have wind+ 362 days a year. 100% road bike riding, no TT stuff. I just don't want to be blown all over the road. I currently ride Campy Neutrons (thin spoke, low profile) and Fulcrum 1 (flat/wide spoke and med profile). With the Fulcrum's you need to be careful before letting go of the bar, but overall not much difference.

It seems that more people are riding the deep dish stuff, if I don't go w/the Boras I will probably go with some Zipps.

Thanks again, all comments welcome.

You're in my neck of the woods, I'll say this-I ride Campy Zondas (04-05 vintage, i.e. 30mm rim all the way around, narrow round spoke version). In NE-with a 30mm rim, I often have to lean my body a noticable bit into one of our crosswinds in order to stay upright, and I weigh ~165ish.

Eventually you get used to it, but a strong gust that catches one off gaurd can be a bit panic inducing, especially if in a pace line.

BTW-if you brave the heat tomorrow, there won;t be that much wind at all ;)

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
I have a set of 37mm deep wheels (Real Design Supersonics) and while there's a little bit of wind effect, it's perfectly manageable.

Honestly, fat aluminum blades (Ksyrium's, etc.) have more sidewind effect. Ignore the mythology and limited-angle wind tunnel 'testing' . Spokes were meant to be round.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I'm <140 lbs and ride the Zipp "606" setup for my race wheels (404 front and 808 rear). The worst I've been in has been a 15-20mph gusty crosswind. It definitely blew me around, but I managed to get through it, though it wasn't enjoyable. I think that if I could always count on wind, I'd go with a set of their 303 wheels or maybe a 303 front/404 rear.
I love aero wheels :D

· extremely biased
874 Posts
I think it's a comfort level thing.......................... how comfortable are you in a crosswind?

I live in the 3rd windest city in the US (according to the NOAA) with a daily average of 15mph + (15.2 if I recall correctly). Its not unheard of to have a 30mph sustained wind with gusts to 50mph here. Hell, 18 wheeers get blown off the highway a couple times a week around here.

I own sevel sets of deep carbon wheels and almost exclusivly ride deep wheels unless there will be A LOT of climbing. I don't pick the wheel based on wind. If I know a particular course is going to have a crosswind section or a slight head/tailwind I'll ride the deepest thing I have thats race legal; 808s and next season 1080 rear and 808 front. In a slight crosswind they do act like a sail............but in a good way.

I ride Cosmic Carbone SL's as my training setup and edge and zipps for race wheels. I'm light and tall too; 6'0" 145lbs. However, I'm comfortable riding in crosswinds.

Starnut

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.