Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I would like to buy a high profile wheelset (probably in carbon) for use in criteriums and road events like grandfondos. I was thinking to buy a wheelset with 38 mm in the front and 50 mm in the rear to use the aerodinamic advantages and have no problems with the crosswind and stiffiness to climb long hills kind cat. 3, cat. 1 and causally HC.
This configuration of 38 mm in front and 50 mm in rear is a good combination? I'm 64 kg (141 lbs) and 1,77 m (5,81 ft), I have a climber profile...
I don't have experience with these kind of wheels and I need a help of the more experienced guys to choose.

Thanks a lot! :)

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
You don't need a staggered profile for front and rear. That's more about fashion. Just get a set of the new Mavic 40C wheels or, a pair of the Dura-Ace 9000 C35. These are plenty light and suitable as all purpose wheels. The Dura Ace in particular are extremely reliable. They don't have the wet weather inconsistencies associated with all carbon wheels on mountain descents.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Attached are some wind tunnel testing results of several aero wheel sets.http://www.enve.com/cache/DOC126_Web_AeroGraphs6.7.pdf?20110606083437 It appears to me that the newer technology lower front rim depth and higher rear rim depth provides some additional aero benefit over older wheel designs. Are your races cancelled for rain conditions?

Hi guys!

I would like to buy a high profile wheelset (probably in carbon) for use in criteriums and road events like grandfondos. I was thinking to buy a wheelset with 38 mm in the front and 50 mm in the rear to use the aerodinamic advantages and have no problems with the crosswind and stiffiness to climb long hills kind cat. 3, cat. 1 and causally HC.
This configuration of 38 mm in front and 50 mm in rear is a good combination? I'm 64 kg (141 lbs) and 1,77 m (5,81 ft), I have a climber profile...
I don't have experience with these kind of wheels and I need a help of the more experienced guys to choose.

Thanks a lot! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need a staggered profile for front and rear. That's more about fashion. Just get a set of the new Mavic 40C wheels or, a pair of the Dura-Ace 9000 C35. These are plenty light and suitable as all purpose wheels. The Dura Ace in particular are extremely reliable. They don't have the wet weather inconsistencies associated with all carbon wheels on mountain descents.
Hi, I can't read yestarday because I was working...

Then, my initial doubt is about the crosswind effects in the high profile. I was thinking that a 38 mm profile in front minimize the crosswind effects and the 50 mm in rear to improves the aerodinamic advantages to maintain the pace on flat and rolling hills. Is it a true?

Also I have another option, the Campy Zonda, but these wheels have a low profile (26 mm in front and 30 mm in rear) and its weight is approx. 300 g more heavy. I was interested in the Shimano RS80 too (I think good cxb) but I use Campy in my bike and the Shimano wheels doesn't have Campy option. At least I didn't find.

PS: For carbon, I tought to go with tubular. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.