Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A lot of the stuff I have been reading about HR training talks about getting to a high HR.

My profile: 32yrs old, 206lbs, smoke a pack a day but cutting down.

My problems is the total opposite. Currently, my resting heart rate is about 104, and when I ride, I can top out at about 194 very very easily. Correct me if I am wrong, but as one gets fitter, the HR Max gets lower, does the resting heart rate come down as well? what is the ideal resting HR for my age group?

I am trying to lose weight first and have read that the ideal zone for this is 70% to 80% of my HR Max. Unfortunately, I get above the 80% level very easily. And staying below the 80% HR Max on flats means riding at around 15mph.

Are there any training and weight lost tips or sites designed for overweight and very unfit riders?

thanks

G.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
G_Man said:
Hi,
A lot of the stuff I have been reading about HR training talks about getting to a high HR.

My problems is the total opposite. Currently, my resting heart rate is about 104, and when I ride, I can top out at about 194 very very easily. Correct me if I am wrong, but as one gets fitter, the HR Max gets lower, does the resting heart rate come down as well? what is the ideal resting HR for my age group?
HR max never changes with training. It only decreases as you get older (~1 bpm per year).

When you get more fit, you will lower your resting HR, and it will take more effort to achieve your max HR. 'More effort' meaning that you percieve it to be more difficult to raise your HR, and that you will be able to produce more power at a given HR.

Quit smoking and ride first, then worry about your HR. Smoking does some f-ed up things with endurance training.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I don't think that max HR gets lower as one gets fitter. In my experience its been the opposite. When I rode a lot in my late 20s/early 30s my max was 205. I quit riding for 8 years and started again at 40. Over the last 5 years as I have regained fitness my max on the bike has gone from 178 to 192. One could argue that it was always that high (it does decrease with age) but I was not comfortable pushing that hard until I was fit.

I haven't measured it much, but my resting HR went down a bunch when I started riding again. At least 20 bpm.

Your max and especially resting HRs sound high. But there is a large range among people. You may just be on the high end. I'm sure you know that kicking the cancer sticks will help immensly. Nicotine is a stimulant.

The "fat burning zone" is a myth. It's been explained at length here before. What is true is that at lower intensities you can ride farther, and riding more will burn up more calories. So don't worry about keeping to a certain HR, just go ride.

·
century rider
116 Posts
don't worry much about numbers at this point, whats important is you keep riding and then you'll notice improvements. keep riding and pay attention more on how you feel on the bike regardless of what your HR monitor reads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
b987654 said:
u really smoke a pack a day?
Yeap, a pack a day... it was 2 packs not three months ago.

it is rather sad the hear that the "training below 80% HR Max" is a myth. I guess it really boils own to riding more. any ideas on motivation to get out there and riding?

cheers and thanks everyone.
G.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
G_Man said:
Yeap, a pack a day... it was 2 packs not three months ago.

it is rather sad the hear that the "training below 80% HR Max" is a myth. I guess it really boils own to riding more. any ideas on motivation to get out there and riding?
G.
If you're just getting started riding, focus on enjoying your rides. Don't worry about "training" or how fast you are. Besides, no matter how fast you are there's always someone faster. Once you are riding enough, it becomes integrated into your life. Then it is a lot easier to keep at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ericm979 said:
If you're just getting started riding, focus on enjoying your rides. Don't worry about "training" or how fast you are. Besides, no matter how fast you are there's always someone faster. Once you are riding enough, it becomes integrated into your life. Then it is a lot easier to keep at it.

thanks mate, really get what you are talking about. thanks for the supportive words..

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Not to be alarmist

but a resting heart rate of over 100 is at the far end of the normal range for your age, if not beyond. It may be a function of lack of fitness, with the weight and smoking, but you might think of getting a physical if you haven't had one in a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John Nelson said:
I second the advice to see a doctor. Most of us routinely ignore the standard advice to see a doctor before starting an exercise program. But you don't seem to be a good candidate to ignore this advice.
hahaha, never thought of it that way....
i have seen my doc about taking up some activities. the stuff like jogging and walking just arent me... cycling is really good, not too bad on my knees...
i guess i kind of delayed getting back into shape for far too long. after reading some of he post in this forum, it is heartening to know that i have a resource to tap for knowledge...

question, any good site to recommend for weight loss and cycling? or on general fitness and cycling? or just for cyclin?

thanks all. much appreciated.

·
278 Posts
G_Man said:
Hi,

I am trying to lose weight first and have read that the ideal zone for this is 70% to 80% of my HR Max. Unfortunately, I get above the 80% level very easily. And staying below the 80% HR Max on flats means riding at around 15mph.

Are there any training and weight lost tips or sites designed for overweight and very unfit riders?

thanks

G.
Just so some of the people here on the forum don't blow a gasket, would you mind sharing the process you used to determine your RHR? Was your HR 104 when you just woke up one morning before coffee, before a cig? Or is this a HR while you were sitting around, perhaps after a few cigs that day, a stressful meeting and a pot of coffee?

RHR of 104 seems high, but that's based on assumptions as to how you determined it.

Regardless, good luck with everything and remember that the more you exercise, the easier it'll get. Keep with it and work hard. Oh and forget that fat burning zone BS. If you're riding, you're burning and the harder you ride, the faster you'll burn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One more vote to see a doc

when you do, take a list of any medications that you may be on. Tachycardia (someone correct my spelling as necessary), aka fast resting heart rate, is a side effect of some medications. I had this problem a year or two ago. Doc perscribed meds for migraines which caused my RHR to jump up to the range you're talking about (was normally low to mid 60's). Switched to a new med for headaches and the RHR went back to normal. Just one more possibility to consider.

Your goals are laudable, and I wish you luck! Just remember: Do it for the enjoyment, and don't worry about all the heart rate mumbo jumbo or other "training related" stuff. The health effects will come on their own.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
agree with all the advice.

first, see a doctor. that heart rate is high, and you should find out why first before taxing it further with exercise.

second, quit worrying about heart rate and training zones and fat burning diets and training and such. people on here sometimes get too carried away with all that crap. if all the time during a ride you're worrying about getting into your target zone, pushing faster, going harder, you're not going to enjoy the ride, and you'll get sick of it and quit.

just ride your bike. if your body tells you you're tired and don't feel like pushing it, then don't, just go for a nice easy spin. try to ride four or five times a week, gradually increasing the distance and the toughness of the route. pretty soon you'll find that your clothes are a bit looser, and that hill that used to have trouble getting to the top of now doesn't seem so bad. the route that used to take you an hour now only takes 45 minutes.

but don't stress over always having to do more, having to ride it faster today than you did yesterday. this is an easy sport. just ride your bike.

and then when you have begun to develop some fitness, you'll want to challenge yourself more, climb bigger hills, go for longer rides. and at that point, maybe you can begin to think about a heart rate monitor, and training zones, and whatnot.

until then, quit smoking. and just ride your bike.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Holy carp! That's a HIGH RHR -- I'm no doc, but I know smoking affects that big time.

I just measured mine at 40 BPM.

I agree with the other posters: ignore that "fat burning zone" junk, QUIT SMOKING, ride your bike more, QUIT SMOKING, see a doctor, and, yeah, quit smoking.

I know it's hard to quit, and I can't understand, etc, etc., and I commend your efforts to get fitter and drop the habit.

But it's like those jokes about trying to give a car an oil change when the rings are shot, or whatever. That is, if there is a major, overall problem, minor changes may not be the answer.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Argentius said:
Holy carp! That's a HIGH RHR
Hahaha, thats a really good way to put it. Imagine me, trying to discover what is the norm for a RHR. Frankly, try doing a search on RHR and discover the lack of useful information on the matter; especially for a case like mine, where a high rate is the issue...

Anyway, thanks everyone for the information, it has been a real eye opener. I guess at the end of it all, it boils down to ride more and think less.

Anyone have any sites to recommend for further reading?

Cheers

G.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Go over to the Racing, Training, Nutrition and the Beginner's forums on this site. There is a wealth of knowledge in there and people are always willing to help. Active.com is a good site too. If you want to track your progress, you can go to Fitday.com. It's an online log and helps a lot if you like doing that kind of thing.

As for your HR, don't sweat it. As has been said before, HR's vary. I tend to run hot compared to my riding partners. My resting HR is in the high 60's, but I quickly spike up to the 80%+ range, when all my riding buddies are still struggling to get above 70% of max. The more you ride, the more in tune you'll be with your body. If you look up "rate of perceived exertion" there is some good info on that topic too to go along with your HR info.

·
Put the seat down!
551 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record here, but see your doc... My new advise is to ask your doc about some stop smoking help. Cutting back is commendable, but it's like an alcoholic saying they can control their drinking, eventually you're going to get back to 2 packs a day. I say this from experience as I tried quitting for 2 years before I finally asked my doctor for help. He prescribed Zyban, which I took for 1 month and haven't even thought about a cigarette since. I've been smoke free for 1 year this week and have never felt better. As for the exercize, just ride your bike and don't worry about HR and speed etc, all of those things will fall in line if you ride and stick with it... Good luck! If I can do it, you can too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.