Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hahahaah gotta love it

0km - They were all waiting for Cavendish to make his move, and the Manxman pulled off a superb trick! A 1-2 for High Road, and Cavendish pays back Greipel for his help so far.

0km - Cavendish is stilll tucked in behind Greipel....he turns round and eyes Bennati...AND GIFTS THE WIN TO ANDRE GREIPEL!!! Superb from High Road!!!

0.2km - Greipel now moves to the front to tow Cavendish through...Greipel brings them through with 150m to

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Very selfless move by Cavi because had he won the stage (probably would have), Cavi would have been pretty close to Benna on the points competition and the cicclamino jersey.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i don't know how much of a trick it is...
they know where the finish line is. Did cavendish let a gap open or just never come around?

my guess is he was watching his back and was waiting for those guys to make any move
the leadout was fast and no contest from behind...

it's not like our races where it's not always the easiest to spot the finish line.
with 20m to go they should have been in a panic and done something... i'd like to see the video

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fleck said:
i don't know how much of a trick it is...
they know where the finish line is. Did cavendish let a gap open or just never come around?

my guess is he was watching his back and was waiting for those guys to make any move
the leadout was fast and no contest from behind...

it's not like our races where it's not always the easiest to spot the finish line.
with 20m to go they should have been in a panic and done something... i'd like to see the video
I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like

they were waiting to jump on Cavendish's move to the line to get in his slipstream and go around him...

Cavendish was probably waiting for someone to make their move and go around him and jump on that persons wheel and take off around him.

Neither of the 2 things happened, his man was ahead, and the distance ran out to the finish line, and they take the 1-2 finish.

·
Registered
663 Posts
robbyracer said:
Woohoo!!! Go HighRoad :D

Ok now my newb question...
What is the dead wheel tactic??
A dead wheel is the racing term used to describe when someone, usually in a pace line, sits up. This means that the riders in front of him get a slight gap, while the riders behind him have to close that gap. It's quite unusual to see a 'dead wheel' in a sprint because everyone is usually riding for the win. You often see dead wheels in the classics when the bunch is strung out and everyone is on the rivet and then one rider in the middle of the pace line cracks. It's usually followed by lots of swearing. That's often how a race breaks up, especially when there is a bit of a cross wind and the road is pancake flat. You also see dead wheels on mountain stages, but the effect is less pronounced because the riders behind can usually put in a short spurt to close the gap. That is not possible when you're riding 53X12 or 11 and you're on the rivet. Domestiques are usually required to close gaps.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
A video is worth more than a thousand words, but doing the dead wheel trick on purpose is hard to pull off if you don't know your competitors well.

Everyone in that leadout train knows the usual procedure and when Cavendish pulled out from Greipel, people jumped on his wheel with the hope to sprint around him...only Cavendish maintained his speed and never jumped, allowing Greipel to take the win. Brilliant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.