Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traveling to France was terrific, but I love where I live. This report covers a one day ride from my home to Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico. I took over 100 photos during this ride, and it was hard to condense it down to the 60+ photos here. Thus why I am doing this in two parts. It's going to be a real modem burner as it is.

I started on a Thursday morning (7/24). A weekday meant less traffic, but even so I had surprisingly little, another effect of high gas prices.

Nice morning light, Our Lady Catholic Church in Nambe, and the road to Chimayo.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chimayo, NM

Hilltop cross just before Chimayo, a pretty common sight. This restaurant is in a home originially built over 150 years ago. They had a kitchen fire about a month ago. Luckily the house wasn't damaged. My husband and I had our wedding lunch here. Hopefully they will have it open in time for us to have our 20th anniversary dinner here in October.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horses and weavers

Chimayo weavings are famous. This sign proclaims 8 generations of weavers, and i believe it. I even know a couple.

On to Truchas.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The climb to Truchas

After Chimayo comes the first major climb of the day. Exposed, headed east right in to the sun, no matter what time of year it's always hot. The road gains almost 2,000 ft of elevation in the next 8 miles.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Wall

The grade does ease for a bit in the middle, but past Cordova is the wall. Don't know what the grade is, don't want to know. It's the last hard push to Truchas.

Over the top, just before the town itself is the camposanto. I like this particular grave. Her name was Yvonne.

The old one is closer to the center of town. The main town square is just off my route. Rent "The Milagro Beanfield War". It was filmed here.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Mural

Right on the road, on a long wall is this amazing mural. I could study it for hours, but got to get back on the bike.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Truchas to Las Trampas

Truchas Peak to the east. The route continues north, unfortuantly all the valleys run east/west. The next 10 miles roll up and down through little old Spanish towns like Ojo Sarco and Las Trampas.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Church of San Jose de Gracia

Built in 1760, this church is a real find. Adobe, straw and mud. But so much more...

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The road goes on....

Leaving Las Trampas I found this log flume carrying irrigation water for the acequias. Next stop, Penasco.

Things to do, places to go. Will try to do part 2 later tonight. Always leave'em wanting more!

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We live on an acequia, 1.5 acres of surface rights. My husband has been secretary of our acequia association for the last three years, quite an honor for an anglo. We have helped dig ditch for the 18 season we have been here. If you are really interested pick up Stanley Crawford'sbook "Mayordomo." He lives in Dixon, about halfway along this route, and I buy garlic from him on a regular basis at the local farmer's market.

Dave and tarwheel, whenever you want to make a trip out here, let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Breeze - Great pics! Brings back lots of memories. I grew up in the S.L.V. in Southern CO and used to visit Taos frequently. I currently reside in the Boulder area, but long for the openess of Southern CO/Northern NM. Beautiful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.