Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

High Road to Taos, Part 2

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rodar y rodar 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't sleep tonight, so I'll try to finish this.

When we last left our intrepid cyclist, she had ridden out of Las Trampas, headed for Penasco. Penasco is an interesting little place. A waypoint so to speak. Stopped in this great store for a popsicle. They filled my bottles with ice, but I passed on the Frito pie.

Sugar Nymphs in an excellent cafe. Sometimes our riding group will ride up here for lunch, then ride all the calories off on the way home.

Clouds forming over the mtns. I may not avoid the rain.

#2 ·
US Hill

Why is it many climbs start with a left hand turn? OK US Hill is no Alp d'Huez. It's 4 miles to the top and the grade isn't too bad. I had never ridden it in this direction, south to north, only from the Taos side. It's easier on this side.

The scenic overlook has had some trees grow up and in the way since it was carved out.

No pix of the descent to Ranchos de Taos. The day was getting hot and the heat was getting to me a bit. Stopped at the Full Belly Deli for a sandwich and iced tea.

#3 ·
Around Taos

By this point it was getting on to 2PM, temps were pushing 90 and the traffic through the main streets of Taos was goign to be hell. Instead of being turned into an oil spot by some Winebago driving tourista on the Taos plaza, I decided to detour through the back roads to the west of town.

Blueberry Hill Road, and I have never seen a single blueberry on it. Maybe it's where to get your thrills? Still plenty of hippies out here. I think this dome is actually and alternative high school.

#4 ·
15 miles to go.

The last 15 miles takes you through the little hamlet of Arroyo Seco. Some nice shops and one or two excellent restaurants.

It's looking dark in the high country. My luck has held out so far, but....

#5 ·
High roads, hot coffee and dark chocolate

From Arroyo Seco the road drops down into the valley of the Rio Hondo then steadily climbs for the final ten miles. On this ride I didn't get pix of the climb as sure enough the rain hit. These photos (except for the last one) are from a ride last summer.

Two miles from the top I was passed by a nice new pickup. I saw the brake lights come on and it stopped in the road. When I pedalled by the woman called out the window, "You poor thing! Do you want a ride?" I had ridden 82 miles and was soaked to the skin, so pride be darned. Tossed my bike in the pickup bed and climbed in. Turned out she worked at the hotel where I had a reservation.

A hot shower, fresh coffe and dark chocolate waited for me. A great ending to a great ride.

The route is up on mapmyride.com http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nm/-pojoaque-to-taos/259129310

Final stats, 82 miles and 6400' of elevation

#7 ·
They had the chocolate bars free in the lobby. Cool!

#9 ·
Thanks for the ride report and the great pics of northern NM. They bring back lots of memories.

My wife and I were both raised in Albuquerque, and spent our honeymoon in Red River years ago. We both loved the drive around the "Enchanted Circle" (Taos, Red River, Eagle Nest), and your pics reminded me of that wonderful time in our lives. I was not a serious cyclist back then (26 years ago), but would love to ride in that area now that I am. My wife is just starting to ride a road bike (picked one up for her last week), so maybe if she takes to it like I hope, we could ride that area together in a year or two.

Thanks again for sharing! Wonderful work on the pics, BTW.

Regards,

Jay B.

#11 ·
Taos is cheaper than Burgundy. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.