Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanting a little input/advice/comments/suggestions on what you all think about me possibly starting a high school cycling club. i'm a high school teacher, and i would be the sponsor. are there high schools in the USA that have these, cause i know that my school did not. i think it would be something that might be interesting for the people that don't play any of the "major" sports. funding might be a problem though, and suggestions welcome for that too.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
In Europe, all sports exist outside of school- probably the way it should be. There are sports clubs for all types of sports. The trouble I envision of attaching it to school is liability issues.

B-Fun said:
just wanting a little input/advice/comments/suggestions on what you all think about me possibly starting a high school cycling club. i'm a high school teacher, and i would be the sponsor. are there high schools in the USA that have these, cause i know that my school did not. i think it would be something that might be interesting for the people that don't play any of the "major" sports. funding might be a problem though, and suggestions welcome for that too.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
In Europe, all sports exist outside of school- probably the way it should be.
I agree. I was introduced to competitive cycling at 12 years of age through a German city-sponsored program, which even furnished decent quality smaller-wheeled loaner racing bikes. We met and rode after school, which, as fitersweep said, offered no sports whatsoever (no dances, clubs, societies, etc, etc, either).

While a lot of European schemes don't transplant well to the USA, I still would think that a municipal or county parks-and-recreation department would be a better place to hitch your program to. They often sponsor sports-oriented clubs, both financially and by providing a place to meet. They might even come up with a way to extend insurance to your club.

Another option would be to contact a racing-oriented cycling club and see if they have or are interested in starting a junior development program.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I suggest that you go to http://www.norcalmtb.org/ and contact the director Matt Fritzinger. He organized a highschool mountain bike league which started out with a few schools but has really taken off. He originally started with a road club but he switched to mountain bikes because of student interest and safety issues in the Bay Area, but I don't see why road (or track or cyclocross) couldn't work also.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
tobu said:
I suggest that you go to http://www.norcalmtb.org/ and contact the director Matt Fritzinger. He organized a highschool mountain bike league which started out with a few schools but has really taken off. He originally started with a road club but he switched to mountain bikes because of student interest and safety issues in the Bay Area, but I don't see why road (or track or cyclocross) couldn't work also.

this is the guy that posts on mtbr, right? if so, he's done good stuff, would be a great resource

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.