Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TWD
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was descending on a steep long incline 6-8% for 2 miles recently going well into the 40's ... there is a stop light at the bottom of the grade so I was applying light pressure about half way down when i started to develop alot of front fork wobble. Not sure of the cause? the road was basically level and i thought the pressure on front and rear brake was pretty even.

my thoughts:

use more rear brake because there is already serious pressure on the downhill wheel so equal pressure might not be right
i didn't adjust my position to be weighted behind the seat post (butt behind seat) and that might help

I ride a Madone that should descend well so it must be user error; bike/wheels are tuned so don't think it is mechanical

Not something i want to learn trial and error because i have only felt this when descending at high speeds with steep downs. thanks, TWD

·
Registered
55 Posts
Travis said:
was descending on a steep long incline 6-8% for 2 miles recently going well into the 40's ... there is a stop light at the bottom of the grade so I was applying light pressure about half way down when i started to develop alot of front fork wobble. Not sure of the cause? the road was basically level and i thought the pressure on front and rear brake was pretty even.

my thoughts:

use more rear brake because there is already serious pressure on the downhill wheel so equal pressure might not be right
i didn't adjust my position to be weighted behind the seat post (butt behind seat) and that might help

I ride a Madone that should descend well so it must be user error; bike/wheels are tuned so don't think it is mechanical

Not something i want to learn trial and error because i have only felt this when descending at high speeds with steep downs. thanks, TWD

all frames will experience that in certain conditions - next time this happens - relax and place your knees on the toptube.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This can also occur when you get uneven braking as the wheel rotates. In other words the brake can grab certain areas of the rim better than others which will set up a vibration or pulsing.

Check that the wheel is reasonably true and round. Also check that the rim braking surface is clean and even. If you have brake pad transfer (black deposits) this will cuase you trouble. Clean the rim well. If it's an aluminum rim the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge (scotchbrite) works very well.

Also make sure that your brake is properly adjusted without any play in the arms.

Dave

·
TWD
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i keep them pretty sparkley but i'll give that a try. I ride a larger frame for my size and wonder if that might have an impact ... although that would just transfer more weight over the rear wheel?
I am 6' tall and ride a 60cm madone, always worked fine for me and the 58 felt too small

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.