Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my father, sister and I went hiking in Rockland State Park in NY. The trail was picked because it would provide some fantastic views of the Hudson and surrounding areas including the Tapanzee Bridge.

Within 20 minutes of hiking we came up to a point that was ideal for hawk photography. There was even a photog there trying to get shots with a 500mm lens. I took some quick pano shots which I will try to get stitched later but for now here is a shot of the bridge.

Unfortunately no hawks were to be found until five minutes later. Unfortunately I was shooting into the sun with a lens way too short for the job. This is about as good as it gets unfortunately.

Sometime later we came to "the view" of the hike. A clifftop point that had a grand view of the river, Croton (sp?) Point and some steel rods for what I could only guess as anchors for repelling expeditions.

It really does just drop off like that. Below the edge, a couple hundred feet down, would be a bike path we would later be returning on. Here you can see a small island in the river.

I still haven't figured out how to get the idea of grandness. Here you can see the edge, the river and the other side but it doesn't do justice to the size and steepness of it all.

Later on I found this tree which I found to be fairly interesting. Wish I had a super wide angle so I could get some crazy shot. There were lots of trees like this: dead, beaten and weathered.

On the return there were several buildings and concrete foundations that were abandoned. This one was one of the first after coming down some fairly rocky switchbacks.

The rest of the trip was fairly boring flat hiking along the bike path. Saw lots of mountain bikes and a barge. The hike totaled 11ish miles but about 40% of that was flat. I may go back at some point to try and get better hawk pictures but not until I get better at panning with the big lens.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Nice shots. I love the b+w tree pic, and I have no idea how you got the camera to focus on the hawk through all the dead branches.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Nice shots. I love the b+w tree pic, and I have no idea how you got the camera to focus on the hawk through all the dead branches.
Thanks! I have no idea how I got that either. I wanted to say I used one of the special AF modes but the photo info is saying otherwise.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
I used to hike at Bear Mountain and Tallman State parks south of there.
I spent hours one day watching the eagles and hawks fish. It was facinating watching them from above as I sat on a cliff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts