Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As part of our local weekly TT, we start off climbing ~600 feet in about 1.5 miles (total distance is ~5 miles). This portion of the TT kills me, week in, week out. At 6 foot 195 lbs, I thought weight might be a factor but I do see other participants finishing with good times.

Other than dedicate days to sheer climbing, what other training might I do to reduce this 12.5 minute (emphasis, 600 feet in 1.5 miles = 12.5 minutes) climb to something more reasonable? Should I try Redbull? Thanks

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Davis69 said:
As part of our local weekly TT, we start off climbing ~600 feet in about 1.5 miles (total distance is ~5 miles). This portion of the TT kills me, week in, week out. At 6 foot 195 lbs, I thought weight might be a factor but I do see other participants finishing with good times.

Other than dedicate days to sheer climbing, what other training might I do to reduce this 12.5 minute climb to something more reasonable? Should I try Redbull? Thanks
Hill repeats, then some more hill repeats, then a few more just for good measure :D

Seriously, the only way to be a faster climber is to climb and increase your power to weight ratio. Part of it is psychological in learning to suffer...which is what a TT is about as well, but most of it is just increasing your power to weight ratio.

If you have weight to drop, that's the easiest place to make faster changes. If you don't then you will need to add power.

I would pick a day during the week to go and hit that climb 5-6 times one day a week...then add in the rest of the ride (whatever that may be) to complete your workout.

Also......a 1.5 mile 600 foot climb is going to be fairly steep (an average of about 8% grade). Are you using a TT bike or your regular road bike? Given the length and pitch of the climb your road bike sounds like the best choice with maybe some clip on aero bars for the rest of the TT assuming it's flat once you get up the climb. If you are using a TT bike try using your road bike instead, you might find it to be a faster choice of equipment.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Davis69 said:
At 6 foot 195 lbs, I thought weight might be a factor but I do see other participants finishing with good times.
This is only meaningful if you assume everyone has the same ability to produce power, which of course they don't.

It's physics and physiology. If you lose weight your speed up the hill will increase if you maintain your power output. No reason to think if you drop weight your power over a long effort will decrease to any degree, hence your power/weight will improve and you will set a better time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I try to get in a long ride each week, either a 25er with hills, or a 40+ with flats. There is the TT and usually one other day of riding (potentially intervals, 2 x 20 min, on the trainer if the weather is bad). I also bike commute, so I get another 30-40.

Laid over that is 10+ miles of running (trying to grow this), sometimes before, sometimes after a ride. Right now my swim times are decent so I only do one long swim or a combo each week. My run times and climb times are the slow points, so I'm trying to focus my effort.

My doctor doesn't thing there is much weight to 'lose' but i'd estimate 5, maybe 10 is possible. I did quite a bit of weight lifting in the off season to see if maintaining a clydesdale weight would be possible (it isn't), so there is still some extra weight in the upperbody that could go with time.

5-6 iterations? that will hurt but i'll go for it. aim for twice a week, assuming good recovery?

I only have a road bike right now. its not clear to me, at this point in my abilities, that a TT bike is worth the investment. I do have aero bars though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.