Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't be able do serious training outside until the end of Feb and there is a race I want to be ready for 1 month latter. So I will only have time for 3 weeks of intense intervals with a one week taper before the race.

The question is, should I focus on 1-2 minute up hill high cadence intervals or 1-2 minute high power, low cadence intervals, or something else? I am a spinner and do best on the hills when I spin, so on one hand I would think this is how I should focus the training. But, on the other hand I've read powering up the hills in low gears builds muscles better.

The first race is a 3 1/2 mile 6 1/4 lap circuit through hill. The race starts with a very steep hill that takes less than a minute to climb (feels longer) and ends on that hill and with a total of 7 time up the hill. It is a stand up and climb hill even with a 25 on the back.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Two of my Favorites...

These are out of Friel's Training Bible:

A3e AE reps, Hill Attacks
BT: On 6-8% hill do 6-7 x 2 minutes building to the heart rate 5b zone. At 30, 60, and 90 seconds '"'attack'"' for 10 pedal strokes (4-minute recoveries). High rpm.

A3c AE reps, Hill, attack top
BT: On a 6-8% hill do 4-5 x 90 seconds. The first 60 seconds of each is seated at 60+ rpm. Then stand the last 30 seconds. Achieve heart rate 5c zone by the top. (recover 3 minutes after each). Long cool down.

These are advanced intervals. They are great for preparing for a circuit with repeated short hills, like you described. It's a little early in the season for these. Be sure you've got adequate base to safely do these.

When you want to initiate a break in that race, use this modified interval in your training. Envision yourself breaking away on one of the last climbs and trying to stay ahead till the end.

A3d AE reps, Hill, Attack top. t-hold
BT: On 6-8% hill do 4-5 x 90 seconds. The first 60 seconds of each stay seated. Stand for the last 30 seconds of each. Achieve the heart rate 5c zone by the top (3-minute recoveries). Then ride 20 minutes at heart rate 4-5a zone on a rolling course. Cool down.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

I don't have to worry about attacking in this race. The goal is to hang on.

It is the first race of the season with 120+ riders of all Cats in one race. THE hill is 200 yards after the start line and breaks up the field. Last year I got dropped first time up and there was no second group that reformed. Without much help blocking the wind I got lapped by the two man breakaway in the 5th and the peleton in the 6th (oh the shame)

·
Registered
39 Posts
bimini said:
I don't have to worry about attacking in this race. The goal is to hang on.

It is the first race of the season with 120+ riders of all Cats in one race. THE hill is 200 yards after the start line and breaks up the field. Last year I got dropped first time up and there was no second group that reformed. Without much help blocking the wind I got lapped by the two man breakaway in the 5th and the peleton in the 6th (oh the shame)

bimini,
Is this race in Iowa? Where and when. Thanks
Overhill

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, West of Iowa City / Coralville

Here is a link to the club that is putting on the race. Most of their races are quite small but the Kent Park Classic on March 28th draws a big crowd from all over the state since it is the first race of the season.

Here is a link http://www.2beeracing.com/

It is at Kent Park which is west of Coralville and Tiffen on Hwy 6.

They shut the part down in the morning for the race so there are no cars. last year had somewhere between 100-120 riders with most of the teams in the state in attendance.

All Cats ride together so it is a tough race.

·
Registered
21,786 Posts
Not much point in it.

In three weeks, there's not much you can do with intervals except tire yourself out. You'd be better to do tempo rides and maybe some speed intervals (10 minutes at TT pace) once per week. You can't build much hill climbing improvement in 3 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.