Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a local hill ride outside of campus that I use for hill repeats pretty regularly; I did a benchmark test today, it's about a 6% average hill I'd say with some ramps of 8-10% plus.

I climbed it in 4 minutes, 20 seconds when I was fresh (and fairly warmed up) so I'd say it was a solid benchmark. I was riding at tempo for most of the climb, with some harder efforts up the steeper sections and an all out "attack" for the final 200 feet of the climb that goes from wicked steep to dead flat at the top.

So I've got this time as a benchmark for a "hard" effort; about all I could give, in the sense that I had nothing left when I finished it. I did another climb afterwards, "working" but not REALLY all out if that makes any sense, and I was a minute back of my benchmark.

So now I've got this 4:20 to 5:20 range to work with; and I'm trying to determine what the most effective way to use this hill for repeats is.

Do I

1) Climb the hill at tempo, nothing crazy anaerobic, just solid TT pace all the way to the top?

2) Climb the steep sections anaerobic, and recover a little on the less steep portions?

3) Do everything tempo except the final section where I attack over the top of the hill?

I'm thinking that for a race simulation, option 3 would be the best way to run it. But at the same time, I'm thinking that a solid TT pace for option 1 would be really good in terms of getting up the fastest and usefulness to training. I dunno; if I give it my all by the time I'm done, does it really matter how I get to the top as long as I'm there?

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
Depends on what you are doing it for.

Are you trying to minimise time or focus on training outcomes?

Minmising time means applying pacing strategy that will see power applied vary with gradient. Understanding the best mix is tricky.

If you are looking at it to work on your VO2 Max then just get up at a pace you can repeat 4-6 times and don't worry about power variances on the way up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
hit it as hard as you can to blow, then push though agony till you crest it.
remember the point where you blow, each time, try to go further eah time
see your report in a couple of months if tour game
it works
just be careful 100% efforts an run you down
leave nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.