Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Hill toppin' in Mizzurah

911 views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  thebadger 
#1 ·
Well, June is here and time to head for the hills. It's hot, windy, and humid. I haven't been riding too much (re:baby), but I am slowly getting back out. I haven't been this deep in the season with so few miles in many years. This was 55 miles over some old and new terrain....a whole lot of up-n-down. Then I ran out of memory..crap. Well, enjoy a beautiful Sunday in SW Mizzurah with me.

Off I go.

A nice, soft climb to start off.

That didn't last long: first car = 8-9%, second car = 10-11%..booooo.

off in the distance, more 9%

a quick 2% to 6% to 10% on the bend

getting the idea?

I have arrived at the center of the universe

going up

brief respite down in a holler.

down in the valley

last pic before memory loss...a little further out in the country and feeling like a champ. I'll try and finish this up at another date. Thanks for coming along.
note: grades provided by VDO 1.0+

See less See more
#4 ·
All roads out of Springfield seem to look like that, no? Except the one going to Branson which seems to be all billboards. Where is the one of the Pink Cadillac?

#5 ·
funknuggets said:
All roads out of Springfield seem to look like that, no? Except the one going to Branson which seems to be all billboards. Where is the one of the Pink Cadillac?
by Pink Cadillac, you mean the strip club? :arf:

a LOT of roads out of Springfield do look like the pictorial. I happened to put together a new route that strings a whole lot of them together. :)

You know, one day I would like to ride to Branson. I bet those big @ss hills would hurt like a mother, if I could make it.

#8 ·
Great rollers. I don't have anything around here like that. I'll like 'em.

I guess a holler is a low point in the hills and not something you do to get someone's attention :).

#9 ·
Ridgetop said:
Rollers are deceiving. They don't look very hard, but after riding rollers for 40 or 50 miles, you will feel it. Most of my riding is on rollers; I wish I had some good mountain climbs nearby. One of the things that I like about riding in the West are the long, sustained climbs. That being said, if I were in Southwest Missouri, I would not pass up a ride on teh moreon's roads -- it looks like he had a great ride yesterday.

BTW: I have not been around here too much over the past month (travel, a trial, etc. have limited my worktime RBR viewing). But, the last time that I remember seeing a pic of the moreon he had whiskers on his face. Is the clean shaven look new? Or, did I miss something?

#10 ·
Ridgetop said:

I guess a holler is a low point in the hills and not something you do to get someone's attention :).
lol.
Yes, it's a low point between two steep ridges/hills. They are great on hot days. The roads generally have a nice canopy above them.

#11 ·
MarkS said:
Rollers are deceiving. They don't look very hard, but after riding rollers for 40 or 50 miles, you will feel it. Most of my riding is on rollers; I wish I had some good mountain climbs nearby. One of the things that I like about riding in the West are the long, sustained climbs. That being said, if I were in Southwest Missouri, I would not pass up a ride on teh moreon's roads -- it looks like he had a great ride yesterday.

BTW: I have not been around here too much over the past month (travel, a trial, etc. have limited my worktime RBR viewing). But, the last time that I remember seeing a pic of the moreon he had whiskers on his face. Is the clean shaven look new? Or, did I miss something?
Welcome back! I, too, wish for a long, sustained climb (as if I could hold onto it). The ride was realy good. Nice to log some up hill miles.

The look is new/old. My face hair now comes and goes as it pleases.

#12 ·
rollers?

MarkS said:
I moved from Missouri to central California. I recall Missouri (Jeff City, Cape Girardeau, Kansas City) being mostly rollers, and lots of wind. Here in Fresno, it's either *perfectly* flat, or climbs that go on for 6-10 miles. On the climbs around here, you pretty much drop to your lowest gear and leave it there for an hour. There's one ride I do that has 12,000' feet of climbing in 65 miles, including a 9,300' summit. Rollers sound pretty good at that point.

Southwest Missouri is definitely the prettiest area. Large rolling hills, lots of trees. Just did not like the winters.

#13 ·
Fixed said:
I moved from Missouri to central California. I recall Missouri (Jeff City, Cape Girardeau, Kansas City) being mostly rollers, and lots of wind. Here in Fresno, it's either *perfectly* flat, or climbs that go on for 6-10 miles. On the climbs around here, you pretty much drop to your lowest gear and leave it there for an hour. There's one ride I do that has 12,000' feet of climbing in 65 miles, including a 9,300' summit. Rollers sound pretty good at that point.

Southwest Missouri is definitely the prettiest area. Large rolling hills, lots of trees. Just did not like the winters.
Winters do suck, but I do like 4 distinct seasons.

12k in 65 sounds tough. I did a hair over 3500' in 55 miles (of course, there's no altitude).

#14 ·
Fixed said:

My rule of thumb is that any ride that has more than 1000 feet of climbing per 10 miles is a good, hard ridet. 12,000 feet in 65 miles is more than I ever have done. My record is somewhere around 12,000 feet in 100+ miles or so. Yes, I would welcome rollers after a ride such as the one you described.

The thing that wears me down with rollers is that often the climbs are short, but much steeper than the grades that one finds on sustained climbs.

#20 · (Edited)
MaddSkillz said:
My wife and I were just in Branson and the hills on highway 65, when you get closer to Branson are completely INSANE! I'd love to give them a go, but man, I just don't know if I could make it. So steep and so long! It's crazy!
I would love to give those a go....those are in my mind some BIG, steep ramps...Some are a good mile long (I know this doesn't compare to those in mountainous regions). I actually found a decent pic.

#21 ·
teh moreon said:
I would love to give those a go....those are in my mind some BIG, steep ramps...Some are a good mile long (I know this doesn't compare to those in mountainous regions). I actually found a decent pic.
That looks like a roller coaster.

#23 ·
What's amazing is the hill looks pretty intense but nothing jaw-dropping. Until you look at the size of the cars!

Hard to tell the grade on that one, but we have a road here that's a solid 11-13% for a perfect mile. I've ridden up it once. Once.

#24 ·
teh moreon said:

Yeah, that's crazy!!! I want to do that! Or try at least! Haha

And the thing is, when you think you see one crazy hill like that around that area, as soon as you get to the top of it, you'll see another one. That would be one crazy ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.