Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· I lowered my cholesterol!
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride on relatively flat terrain during the week but my Saturday morning mecca is hilly. What things should I be doing to prepare during the week? I do have an overpass at my disposal, but that's about it. Intuitively I would tell someone to keep riding the hills and you'll master them, but that's logistically impossible (Tampa). Thanks.
 

· For president!
Joined
·
7,851 Posts
On flat rides your efforts tend to be pretty steady, and drafting can offer a big advantage.

On hilly rides, your efforts are often more variable, as you'll be putting out more effort on the uphill portions and coasting or riding easy on the downhill or flat portions.

Do some intervals that mimic your hilly rides, but on your usual flat rides. You'll get a very similar workout. You might still be a bad climber if you're heavy.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
rickreyn said:
I ride on relatively flat terrain during the week but my Saturday morning mecca is hilly. What things should I be doing to prepare during the week? I do have an overpass at my disposal, but that's about it. Intuitively I would tell someone to keep riding the hills and you'll master them, but that's logistically impossible (Tampa). Thanks.
Headwind is your friend.
Sit up and mash away.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Stick it in the 53X15 and ride. Do not shift and do not get out of the saddle.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
bauerb said:
i train for hills on a spin bike, no problem. hills are nothing more than resistance. however you establish the resistance is secondary.
Yes hill is a resistance, what resistance can I get best from my trainer ?
Can I be paced by a motor to improve my power and cadence ?
 

· Lexicon Devil
Joined
·
964 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Stick it in the 53X15 and ride. Do not shift and do not get out of the saddle.

Good advice.

I live and train in Chicago, which we all know has about jack and squat for elevation, but when I go to Wisconsin or Ohio to ride, I am just about as fast as my riding partners who live in those hilly areas because I regularly do intervals here that mimic hill climbing.

I'll even drop into my 53x12, sit upright, and crank it at 60 RPM for 3-5 minutes to replicate the real steep 10-14% grades that I come across. It hurts, it hurts real bad, but it works. I do get out of the saddle sometimes when doing these grinder workouts to save the knees, but so far, they're doing OK.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Nice thread, me and my riding peeps where just wondering what folks do that live in flat areas to train for hills.

I live in WI so there is a hill every mile or so, what got me was riding hard on a flat.
I was soooo not used to that steady state of pain. OUCHY
 

· Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
bianchi - its simple: remember the last time you climbed a hill? your cadence, your muscle tension and your breathing? now do that on your trainer. you don't need to know tooth counts etc. just recreate the experience. eg. for me Alpe d'huez feels like an HR of 160-170 with a cadence of 50-70 for an hour.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
bauerb said:
bianchi - its simple: remember the last time you climbed a hill? your cadence, your muscle tension and your breathing? now do that on your trainer. you don't need to know tooth counts etc. just recreate the experience. eg. for me Alpe d'huez feels like an HR of 160-170 with a cadence of 50-70 for an hour.
Yes it's a good Idea but I don't have the HR tools and also the cadence tools..

How can I know it?....I'm interesting with it...

Should I buy cateye with the HR and cadence ?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
rickreyn said:
I ride on relatively flat terrain during the week but my Saturday morning mecca is hilly. What things should I be doing to prepare during the week? I do have an overpass at my disposal, but that's about it. Intuitively I would tell someone to keep riding the hills and you'll master them, but that's logistically impossible (Tampa). Thanks.
Do you have any highrise parking decks nearby? I never have tried riding up one of them, but when I was driving up to the 8th floor of a local deck the other day, I thought that it might be a good place to ride when it was raining outside (I have hills, so no need for a fair weather hill riding place).
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top