Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do a serious hillclimb in the morning. The race is ALL uphill. Any adjustment on tire pressure? Or keep it the same?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Depends on the surface. I only vary mine if I know that the roads are particularly smooth or rough. You'd be surprised how too much pressure can actually increase rolling resistance and reduce responsiveness in some cases (and comfort of course), so once I determine what works I tend to stick with it.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Doesn't have to be anything special. As frmrench said, it's dependent on road conditions. On my local hill, there are rough sections that will manage to pop the rear up while climbing (if climbing hard enough), sometimes resulting in a chain drop.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I put mine at max all the time. If you have a good bike you will not feel it, and if you have good tires, you will have good grip. Vittoria pro slicks are the ssssssshhhhhhhiiiiiittttttt!

MTT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Let the debate begin

MTT said:
I put mine at max all the time. If you have a good bike you will not feel it, and if you have good tires, you will have good grip. Vittoria pro slicks are the ssssssshhhhhhhiiiiiittttttt!

MTT :thumbsup:
I'm sure this will stir up some thoughts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
hikertoo said:
I'm sure this will stir up some thoughts

Meh, people can do what they want.

1) If you ride clinchers, there is no reason to pump up over 120 psi.
2) If you are racing on sew ups, there is no reason to go over 110 psi.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Great idea!

MTT said:
Yeah, max pressure is great. Harsher ride, faster tire wear, worse traction, and more rolling resistance on rough road surfaces. Everybody should do it, all the time :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Yeah, max pressure is great. Harsher ride, faster tire wear, worse traction, and more rolling resistance on rough road surfaces. Everybody should do it, all the time :)
I couldn't agree more, especially when they're riding against me. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts