Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eurosport:

"After the crash, last year's second place finisher lay on the ground in pain and was subsequently forced to abandon the race due to a collarbone injury."

cycling news:
" Painful shoulder for Hincapie

George Hincapie's Roubaix ended in disaster with 45 km to go when his aluminium steerer tube broke on the Mons-en-Pevele sector of cobbles. Hincapie had been riding well up until that point, but he couldn't avoid crashing. He fell heavily on his right shoulder and will likely require an operation, according to VRT. "

·
Registered
238 Posts
rocco said:
isn't it sort of strange how they're not being direct and simply saying that his collarbone is broken?
Probably broken (although it didn't look like a FOOSH), but that isn't the only shoulder injury to require surgery or the only one you can get falling like that (it isn't the one I have right now from falling off of my MTB).

·
Banned
608 Posts
rocco said:
isn't it sort of strange how they're not being direct and simply saying that his collarbone is broken?
That's because they found the injury was pre-existing and may have been caused the previous weekend. I hear they recovered a knife blade from his back. It had the mysterious initials "L.H." engraved on it.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
nwilkes said:
Probably broken (although it didn't look like a FOOSH), but that isn't the only shoulder injury to require surgery or the only one you can get falling like that (it isn't the one I have right now from falling off of my MTB).
I suspect he doesn't have a broken collarbone but a separated shoulder (i.e. he tore the ligaments which attach the collarbone to the shoulder blade). That would be consistent with how he was holding his shoulder when he was sitting there on the ground and they can go in an surgically reattach the two bones.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Trek probably in panic mode

It must be crazy in Waterloo today. It will be meeting upon meeting of damage control, because possibly losing a race due to equipment failure, AND taking out one of the favorite riders of the US public for the next few months at the same time will not sit well with consumers.

Meanwhile Cervelo will be popping the champagne and enjoying a spike in orders over the next few months.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
That's because they found the injury was pre-existing and may have been caused the previous weekend. I hear they recovered a knife blade from his back. It had the mysterious initials "L.H." engraved on it.
Knife blade,shoulder blade...details,details. The Trek lawyers are, no doubt, busy printing up warning labels to be attached to all their bikes : "Warning: should the stem become disengaged, along with a section of the steerer tube, a significantly negative effect on steering could occur, resulting in injury,death, or loss of paris roubaix".

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
LOL! Good one. That's a quality ZING !

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
"Warning: should the stem become disengaged, along with a section of the steerer tube, a significantly negative effect on steering could occur, resulting in injury,death, or loss of paris roubaix".
Ouch...good one but dang George didn't deserve to go out like that...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rocco said:
Update from cyclingnews.com:

Hincapie diagnosed with fracture
George Hincapie, the man who probably suffered the worst fate of all in this 104th Paris-Roubaix - his steerer tube breaking when he had all the chances for a victory in the race - has been diagnosed with a fracture between his collarbone and shoulder blade. The Discovery rider will return to the United States on Monday to get an operation.

"We don't know yet how long Hincapie will be out of competition," team director Dirk Demol told Belgian media. "It is a severe injury, that's for sure." X-rays in hospital reveled a fracture of about three centimetres.

Despite the use of the term "fracture" it sounds like they're talking about a separated shoulder and torn ligaments not broken bones. I think recover from that will be quicker than if broken bones had to heal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
stevecaz said:
It must be crazy in Waterloo today. It will be meeting upon meeting of damage control, because possibly losing a race due to equipment failure, AND taking out one of the favorite riders of the US public for the next few months at the same time will not sit well with consumers.

Meanwhile Cervelo will be popping the champagne and enjoying a spike in orders over the next few months.

My guess is that the bike was damaged in the first crash. I don't think this will sway too many consumers.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
stevecaz said:

I don't think it will be meeting after meeting. Trek will certainly let the engineers have a look at the fork and go from there. I'm willing to bet they've used this same fork before (last year etc) and that it was also on all of the SPA bikes the team was on. The majority of Trek custies don't give a rat's a$$ about the Paris Roubaix or even know what it is for that matter. I'd venture to say that the list of manufacturers suffering equipment failures at P-R is a pretty long one.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The fork wasn't used before (see cyclingnews.com's tech feature on GH's bike). It was a Bontrager commuter fork that had a longer rake than his usual fork. I'm still a bit surprised it broke and felt horrible for George. Watching him land on his shoulder with no means of control before hand was tough to see...and they showed it several times on OLN. There aren't many seasons left for him to win PR.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
wasfast said:
The fork wasn't used before (see cyclingnews.com's tech feature on GH's bike). It was a Bontrager commuter fork that had a longer rake than his usual fork. I'm still a bit surprised it broke and felt horrible for George. Watching him land on his shoulder with no means of control before hand was tough to see...and they showed it several times on OLN. There aren't many seasons left for him to win PR.

This is the second year Trek has used the SPA bikes so I suspect the Satellite fork has been a part of the package before. I didn't mean to imply it was used on his everyday set-up. I read the text from Daubert and nowhere do I see him mention that they've never used the set-up before.

Scott Daubert: One thing I forgot to tell you about is that George is running with a different fork; it has a longer axle to crown dimension, and it has a longer rake than the normal Bontrager Race Lite fork.

CN: Is this something new you'll bring into the Trek line?

SD: No, it's actually from Bontrager's Satellite line, almost from their commuter level, but it has dimensions that are appropriate for Roubaix. It's an in-house made fork, made at Trek from OCLV carbon, it's just on a different model bike.

CN: Is it a steel steerer?

SD: No, it's aluminium; it's been blasted then anodized black.

CN: But the frame is essentially a Trek 5200, then?

SD: It's a 5200 platform that we make and do what we make and call a prototype for Roubaix. But it's still entirely Trek, handmade in Waterloo, Wisconsin, but just using bits and pieces from other bikes that we make.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
Yeah, on the P-R predictions thread, I said if I could pick someone I 'd like to see win, it would be hincapie. I root for the good guys. But sometimes , you just have to laugh and move on.:)

I agree and I think some might not get that at least half of the jabs at twrek are about venting frustration trough jest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.