Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Hincapie Jeans

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  eldarko 
#1 ·
Hadn't seen this posted before,

http://www.hincapiedenim.com/

Hincapie's lineup of jeans. I'd like to support his clothing company, but not at $145 a pop. However, the photo of him with the guitar I found amusing...

#2 ·
It just went live last week IIRC... Great looking jeans, but I agree that $145 is pricey...

#10 ·
jsedlak said:
Cycling shorts and jersies that look decent and fit?
+1

I wonder why a professional cyclist (not even a Euro one) would get involved in the market of "designer" denim. I'm guessing it's his wife's idea and thought using the name would be a good choice. I wonder if she thought Rock & Republic was cool.

And the Hincapie cycling clothing, I think, is ran by his family than George himself.
http://www.hincapie.com/learn_more/hincapie_story/

#11 ·
I have a pair of jeans from Element that have lycra woven into the denim and they are great. Super comfortable.

It makes total sense for a company involved in making and designing lycra garments try to make a pair.

I would like to try a pair on, however if $145 is the price tag then they are going to have to come with a better name like Rock & Republic or True Religion. Neither the fabric or the manufacturing is that expensive, so if I am going to pay for a name it better be a well known one!

#12 ·
George's brother runs the clothing company. GH helps out in the off season, and obviously when he retires.

I thiink he is planning his future after competition - now.
Unlike so many pro athletes who don't know what to do with themselves when they retire.

Give credit where credit is due - he is applying his name into becoming a brand - hopefully it will work out for him.

#13 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
Sad.. but he's just trying to make a buck like everyone else.. basketball players sell shoes.. whats a roadie gonna sell?
pdh777 said:
George's brother runs the clothing company. GH helps out in the off season, and obviously when he retires.

I thiink he is planning his future after competition - now.
Unlike so many pro athletes who don't know what to do with themselves when they retire.

Give credit where credit is due - he is applying his name into becoming a brand - hopefully it will work out for him.
In a live interview with a euro journalist after roubaix this year he said he may only give it one or so more tries...

Like you said... the man's gotta make a living, and all he really knows how to do is ride a bike (overgeneralization).

#14 ·
pdh777 said:
I think he is planning his future after competition
Good point, because wrenching is definitely not in his future (Roubaix: trying to remove flatted rear by shaking the **** out of it until mechanic showed up). Just kidding George! I can understand his frustration though.

Kind of like the Emirates creating a awesome vacation destination, because they know their oil won't last forever.

#16 ·
I just hope we don't return to an era when part of people's indentity came from what was written on their butt. I remember standing in a check out line behind a large woman whose jeans said "Guess". I turned to my wife and said "340 pounds".

#18 ·
funktekk said:
I would like to try a pair on, however if $145 is the price tag then they are going to have to come with a better name like Rock & Republic or True Religion. Neither the fabric or the manufacturing is that expensive, so if I am going to pay for a name it better be a well known one!
I don't want to get into a super future next level argument here, but neither R&R nor True Religion are "good names" or good quality. If you want a good name, more importantly good quality and workmanship, there are many brands out there like Flat Head, Sugar Cane, Samurai, Skull, Iron Heart, Imperial that would last a lifetime of abuse and don't have gaudy decoration.

#20 ·
bwhite_4 said:
I don't want to get into a super future next level argument here, but neither R&R nor True Religion are "good names" or good quality. If you want a good name, more importantly good quality and workmanship, there are many brands out there like Flat Head, Sugar Cane, Samurai, Skull, Iron Heart, Imperial that would last a lifetime of abuse and don't have gaudy decoration.
And for $150, you can get a pair of APCs that will be x10 better. The Hincapie jeans just look like Old Navy jeans with a new name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.