Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for my wife:

Her hip has been bothering lately. Before we took her bike in to LBS for a tune up, she noticed her saddle was lopsided. It appeared to be two-three millimeters off from level. LBS gave her a new saddle (under warranty), and this one has the same issue, saddle rails are not level. Both saddles are Specialized Dolce stock saddles. Can a difference of two-three millimeters cause hip/hamstring pain?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If any, how many miles did your wife ride on the second saddle before you noticed that it was lopsided like the first saddle? Was the second saddle canted down on the same side than the first one?

I ask this because it's possible that a rider pulls a saddle out of level over time because of skeletal or muscular discrepancies or imbalances. The lopsided saddle(s) may not be the cause, but rather the indicator of a physiological problem.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
wim said:
If any, how many miles did your wife ride on the second saddle before you noticed that it was lopsided like the first saddle? Was the second saddle canted down on the same side than the first one?

I ask this because it's possible that a rider pulls a saddle out of level over time because of skeletal or muscular discrepancies or imbalances. The lopsided saddle(s) may not be the cause, but rather the indicator of a physiological problem.
+1 on this. The way I became of some leg shortening after a leg mangling was the unkindness my body waged on the right side of my saddle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wim and alienator: no miles on the second saddle were ridden. we set her bike in her trainer and used my level to check it out. it was off. upon taking the saddle off and placing it on the table (level) the saddle rails were not contacting the table evenly. the new saddle was placed exactly like the old saddle by the LBS.

I understand about physiological problems. I think we just might end up getting a new saddle. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I think we just might end up getting a new saddle
I'd do that as well. From what you say, the Specialized Dolce seems to be saddled with a manufacturing defect.

For what it's worth, every once in a while I also have some pain in my 64-year old hips. In my case, it's always doing too much too soon in too big a gear. Thirty years ago, I didn't have that problem :D

In my opinion, this website http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=default#qa offers sensible and well thought-out advice on cycling-related problems. If you search through the "Form & fitness Q&A" posts, you'll see hip pain addressed more than once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts