Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three months ago, I overdid things on the trainer and found a rather sharp pain in my left hip. It's on the side of the hip but feels like its deep in the joint. I took about a month off and nothing changed. I went to a PT and he diagnosed IT band tightness. He had me change the cleat position slightly, but otherwise, he thought the bike fit was spot on. He gave me stretches to do which I have been doing with great regularity but little improvement. Sitting, I can feel a slight bit of discomfort. I can spin without much pain, but if I try turning over a really big gear I can feel it. There is no history of arthritis or any other joint disorders in my family that I know of.

Anyone out there have a similar experience? Should I go back to the PT ($120 of my own money)? Is something torn? Do I need an orthopedic surgeon?

Thanks.

kg1

·
Registered
166 Posts
IT Band/Hip Pain

I am no expert. My understanding of a tight or overly stretched IT band is that you should experience the pain in the knee, rather than the hip. When an IT band becomes too tight, it will detach at the knee. You can confirm the description at http://www.itbs.info/html/what_is_itbs.html

You may need another diagnosis.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hip Pain

You could have a pinched nerve. There are numerous nerves going through the hip area down to the lower extremities. If you experience numbness down the leg on that side of the hip, that is an indication of pressure on a nerve. You might want to get examined by a chiropractor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
similar experience

Hi-

I am having the same experience. Hip pain is a common IT syndrome symptom, and so the PT is probably right. If the pain is intense, a course of anti-inflammatories (ibuprofin) for 5 days (400 mg, w/ food, 3x /day) will hopefully reduce the inflammation. The problem, as I understand it, may be either a strength or a flexibility issue. After you can do them w/o pain, the common rehabilitation is to do both stretches and strengthening, building up slowly, always making sure that there is no pain the next day.

A good (scientific) article I found is:
"Hip Abductor Weakness in Distance Runners with Iliotibial Band Syndrome"
Fredericson, Michael MD*; Cookingham, Curtis L. MS, PT*; Chaudhari, Ajit M. MS†; Dowdell, Brian C. MD*; Oestreicher, Nina BS*; Sahrmann, Shirley A. PhD, PT‡
Volume 10(3) July 2000 pp 169-175
Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine

It's got good pics of the stretches and the exercises. It also says that if you lay off, and do the rehab, most people get better. Hopefully that is true.

If you can't get this, I can send it to you as a PDF. My email is miguel_schwartz [at] hotmail [dot] com

take care,
m.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Had the same exact problem

Summer of '01 my left hip pain was so bad that I had a hard time walking for a day or two. I took 14 days off the bike to rest it. I was heading to Colorado a couple of weeks later so I was worried. In Colorado, a PT diagnosed me as having ITB inflammation.

RICE "rest, ice, compression, elevation" Then what helped me the most was continuous stretching. I looked at www.howtostretch.com for more info.

Two years later I still have occasional problems normally early in the year. I stretch the affected area 3-4 times per week. Stretching makes an amazing difference.

Good luck. Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts