Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Bike Dude
993 Posts
Hipsters

I've never been accused of being "pee-cee" and I'm not going to start.
While hanging out at a LBS this weekend I couln't help but notice all the young hipsters coming around asking for the same kind of parts, tires, accesories etc all centered around "fixie-culture". For those wondering the shop I was at is very popular due to low prices and many used/older bikes and mainly, low low prices. It's kinda like Sanford and Son ran a bike shop. Great place, occasionally I can score a really good deal.
So what's with all the trying damn hard to not look like a "cyclist"? Too many Levi's rolled up, converse tennis shoes, tatoos and piercings. I love stainless but on my bikes not my face. Why is it when you talk to these young dudes/dudettes they think that bikes only existed for the last ten years?
So here's the thing that really made me laugh, the hipsters have suddenly discovered 3 speed Sturmy Archer type bikes. Wow.
At this rate in about another 5 to 7 years do you think they'll discover (20 speed) road bikes?
Something to chuckle at or get worked up. I don't know.
But, here's what I'd like the current Hipster Crowds not to do...
please, please please quit butchering really nice road bikes so that you can look cool. It's bad enough that people who appreciate road bikes can't get road bikes to use as road bikes.
Second, do NOT rock a Campy cycling cap unless you're rocking Campy parts.
Ride your bikes.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
??

Why do you care how somebody else dresses, or how they build their bikes?

I'm always glad to see more people riding bikes; don't care what kind, or what their attitude is, as long as they don't endanger other prople.

Ride your bikes.

:)

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Wouldn't it be better if they weren't riding bikes at all? :rolleyes:

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Pablo said:
Wouldn't it be better if they weren't riding bikes at all? :rolleyes:

I wish they would keep their money to themselves rather than buy parts from my LBS. The jerks.

joe

· Registered
23 Posts
I bought a single speed road bike, but don't use the fixie side. I think the fixies the "hipsters" are building are nice looking bikes. I put a flat bar on mine and took off all the decals and love it. Nothing wrong with that scene.

· Registered
23 Posts
Oh, and one thing I notice about a lot of roadies is the elitist attitude such as "do NOT rock a Campy cycling cap unless you're rocking Campy parts" I am not sure why not. It is a hat. I spend most of my time mountain biking. Now I see where the XC guys get thier attitude from. They are just some converted holier than though roadies. Take your own advice and just ride your bike.

· Registered
108 Posts
I don't really care what they buy, but I do wish they would stop putting the snooty nose "i'm better then you" face on when they see me on my track bike. Next one I see, especially the ones riding really nice road frames, is getting a stick in his spokes...

Thats the only time they notice you, though, when you're on a track bike. Don't even know you exist when you aren't.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
eobf said:
Oh, and one thing I notice about a lot of roadies is the elitist attitude such as "do NOT rock a Campy cycling cap unless you're rocking Campy parts" I am not sure why not. It is a hat. I spend most of my time mountain biking. Now I see where the XC guys get thier attitude from. They are just some converted holier than though roadies. Take your own advice and just ride your bike.
I've been known to wear a Fassa Bortolo hat, and I don't buy or use Italian concrete.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Tbirdbassist said:
I don't really care what they buy, but I do wish they would stop putting the snooty nose "i'm better then you" face on when they see me on my track bike. Next one I see, especially the ones riding really nice road frames, is getting a stick in his spokes...

Thats the only time they notice you, though, when you're on a track bike. Don't even know you exist when you aren't.
Why do you care what some kids may think about you?

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Tbirdbassist said:
I don't care.. where did I say that?

I jsut wish there wasn't such attitude in the "new" culture. If I give you the international "nod" and you sneer or something childish... what do you expect me to feel of you?
You could have fooled me. It sure sounds like it bothers you, i.e. you "care" on some level.

I see punk high school kids in my area all the time. When I roll past on my bike, maybe they look at me weird or in a judgmental fasion, but I don't care.

· Registered
409 Posts
I am by no means a "hipster" though some might accuse me otherwise due to my risers, oury's, spoke card, Deep V's and uh ability to trackstand. But I assure you, where I live, there is no "scene". It's me and like 4 guys from my LBS and I never really ride with them. So mostly it's just me out there.

Now, I'm not exactly the best about wearing a helmet. Sue me. Bu recently i rode past a roadie who noticed this and, in a very rude way, knocked on his own 200 dollar helmet essentially telling me how stupid I was for not wearing one.

So this "attitude" you speak of pervades all the different styles of cyclst out there. So don't get mad at fixies because of some of the people who ride them. I don't hold ill will against roadies, just that douchebag.

I know the inherent risks in not wearing a helmet just the same as I know the risks of riding without brakes. It's the same kind of person who thinks not wearing your seatbelt should be a 400 dollar fine.

Oh, and I have a Chrome messenger bag, don't use clipless pedals and am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Shake them fists from your riding lawnmowers.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Here are my observations about the current fixed scene.

Here are my observations about the current fixed scene.

pardon the many generalizations.................:p :p

Unlike most "roadies", hipsters are not into long hours in the saddle pounding out the miles. I can't even call it a subculture of road riding..
It's closer to BMX riding than road riding.. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.....It's just another segment of cycling.. BMX, Lowrider, cruisers, cross, road, MTN, and the current fixed trend...

Some of the fashion is born out necessity.. Aerospoke front wheels are stronger than conventional spoked wheels..This really comes in handy when doing tricks like bar spins and jumps...Top tube pads- ditto.....riser bars-try doing a bar spin with a drop bar...

The amount of money spent by hipsters can only be GOOD for us roadie riders that like fixed riding...Never has there been such a selection of fixed bikes, parts and framesets...

I've gotten to know quite a few hipsters over the last year and they just like to ride bikes like I do.....different type of riding than me... yes.... but it's all good......

· hello
3,395 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
The amount of money spent by hipsters can only be GOOD for us old timers that like fixed riding...Never has there been such a selection of fixed bikes, parts and framesets...
+1,000,000 You can say that again! :D

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
The amount of money spent by hipsters can only be GOOD for us roadie riders that like fixed riding...Never has there been such a selection of fixed bikes, parts and framesets...

I've gotten to know quite a few hipsters over the last year and they just like to ride bikes like I do.....different type of riding than me... yes.... but it's all good......
If they are riding bikes, then that's good. The fixed gear bicycle is my favorite ride these days and I dress to ride the way I want - comfortably - and I'm not the most loyal helmet guy either. I have my bike built up exactly the way I like it. It is just plain fun riding it. I ride the road bikes, too, but not as often. I can't believe there's some kind of culture clash. We all need to just ride on!

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
David Loving said:
If they are riding bikes, then that's good. The fixed gear bicycle is my favorite ride these days and I dress to ride the way I want - comfortably - and I'm not the most loyal helmet guy either. I have my bike built up exactly the way I like it. It is just plain fun riding it. I ride the road bikes, too, but not as often. I can't believe there's some kind of culture clash. We all need to just ride on!
speaking of riding, we need to get together soon....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.