Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Jamestown/ Yorktown or Williamsburg?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have roughly 48 hours down in the Williamsburg area of Virginia. I will have the whole family with me. Basically, my options are this:

-Devote most of the weekend to Williamsburg, with a short trip to either Jamestown or Yorktown

-Devote the weekend to Jamestown and Yorktown

I can't decide. I'm leaning towards Jamestown & Yorktown, but have that feeling like I'm going to make the wrong decision.

What else to do but leave it to the lounge? That way, if my family hates me, I can blame you guys.

TIA.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
The wife and I were there about 3 weeks ago. We spent one afternoon at the Jamestown colony but didn't hit the museum, only the outdoor areas. It was very nice but I really want to go back to hit the Jamestowne area. We didn't hit Yorktown yet.

IMHO Colonial Wiliamsburg is the place to go. We spent a whole day and want to go back to hit the places we missed. The tours of the palace and state capitol were very interesting as were most of the homes that were open. The county courthouse was also a highlight with the details of colonial laws. It is remarkable how big Colonial Williamsburg really is. It really is a full town of colonial homes. It is a definite must do.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If Busch Gardens is open, go there one day and Historic Williamsburg on the other day. When we lived in VA, we always got season tickets for the amusement park. It is the cleanest, best landscaped park on the east coast. Great rollercoasters plus a biergarten.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
I brought my wife and 9 year old daughter to Williamsburg last year. We took a long vacation that year and drove up to Avalon, NJ for a week with my wife's family. On the way up we spent a few days in Williamsburg. My daughter loved it. She really did not want to leave. And we still had 3/4's of our vacation left. She loves that stuff and really got into everything out there. We bought her a colonial period dress. Truth is, I loved it too, but mostly because I was watching her having so much fun.

Be careful of the food and drink prices there. That'll get ya. Also, if you happen to see George Washington walking down the street, don't make the mistake I did. My wife wanted to meet him, so when I saw him, I asked, "Are you supposed to be George Washington?" Totally wrong thing to ask. They are in costume and act the part. His response to me was, "Beg your pardon, supposed to be? I don't understand." Caught me by surprise, but I played along.

I rode my bike to and from Jamestown from where we were in Williamsburg. Beautiful ride. Other than that and driving my daughter past in the car, we didn't go in. Probably should have set time aside, but she was having so much fun in Williamsburg.

I can honestly say that that was probably the best vacation I've had. Mostly because my daughter was having so much fun in Williamsburg and teaching me things. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I like Jamestown, but I'm a history buff and always have a good time visiting historic sites. Last time I was at Jamestown (ten years ago, maybe) it was low key with a short guided tour, some walks and a very few historical re-enactors. I especially enjoyed the glass-blowing presentation. Colonial Williamsburg is a tourist trap and not something I'm interested in, but I understand it has more to do for families.

I enjoy vacationing in Virginia. In fact, I have it in mind to do an extended bicycle tour of Civil War sites. There's such a high concentration of well-preserved historical sites and natural beauty that I keep on coming back.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Go wherever you get your best writing done.

·
Opus was just napping
21,669 Posts
bigbill said:
If Busch Gardens is open, go there one day and Historic Williamsburg on the other day. When we lived in VA, we always got season tickets for the amusement park. It is the cleanest, best landscaped park on the east coast. Great rollercoasters plus a biergarten.
Agreed...go there for an race event most years...and we always split it up that way.

Busch Gardens has great coasters and Colonial Williamsburg is a good time as well. The best extra would be the evening story telling...ghost stories if you will--then dinner at the Fat Canary.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We enjoyed riding through the Yorktown Battlefield but there is actually very little there. Compared to a Civil War battlefield there were very few monuments, memorials and markers. Good place for a hike or a couple hour drive but that was about it.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
jorbenweb said:
I like Jamestown, but I'm a history buff and always have a good time visiting historic sites. Last time I was at Jamestown (ten years ago, maybe) it was low key with a short guided tour, some walks and a very few historical re-enactors. I especially enjoyed the glass-blowing presentation. Colonial Williamsburg is a tourist trap and not something I'm interested in, but I understand it has more to do for families.

I enjoy vacationing in Virginia. In fact, I have it in mind to do an extended bicycle tour of Civil War sites. There's such a high concentration of well-preserved historical sites and natural beauty that I keep on coming back.
I didn't really think colonial Williamsburg was a tourist trap at all. The amount of history and education from the tours and period actors was impressive. If you don't buy the ticket (<25.00) and take the tours then you'd get that impression. The shops and restaurants are expensive but they are in any tourist area.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm leaning towards Williamsburg. We'll tack on some time at Jamestown if it works out.

Thanks all!

PS - Anyone ridden the Colonial Parkway? Hot or not?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
My buddy and his wife work for Jamestown/Yorktown. He runs the costume department there. I'd start at Jamestown for half a day, then hit Williamsburg. The ships and cabins at Jamestown are pretty impressive to go through.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
MB1 said:
We rode it. Early in the morning it was fine although the surface is very corse. As the bus traffic picked up later in the day it didn't look so good (no or minimal shoulders).

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=99156
We drove from Williamsburg to Yorktown via the colonial last month for our anniversary dinner. No shoulders and no white lines made it a scary proposition on a rainy night with 47 year old eyes. And after all that the food sucked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts