Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only got into cycling properly in 2000, so I have no affiliations to any teams (apart from liking T-Mobile, USPS and CSC), and want to find out who were the teams (and what years) who were busted for being hardcore drug users.

Why do I want to know?

I'm doing a retro bike or two, and would love to have a bike and outfit from that era to wear for some fun century races ... I'm in the middle of the field, so its just something to make me laugh and spark some memories of a few riders that remember the events. I ride mainly with guys that will get into this sort of thing ... I think the sight of four guys wearing jerseys from 80's and retro bikes, would be pretty cool amoungst all these Trek Madones and USPS wearing mid-fielders.

So ... what were the biggest busts (ideally mid 80's to very early 90's, as thats the age of the bikes I'm restoring).

Thanks

· Registered
156 Posts
PDM Concorde Squadra

I think it was 91, could be wrong, the entire PDM team was under suspicion of doping, Rual Alcala, Sean Kelly etc… some of the biggest names in cycling at the time. It has even been suggested that their team doctor was the one who introduced EPO to cycling. The team was allowed to bow out of the tour with a mystery virus to avoid the bad press a scandal would bring to the tour.

Their team bike, the black and white concorde squadra was my absolute dream bike when I was a kid.

Here is a pic of Alcala I took at the 2nd tour de trump

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that looks great. I will begin looking for some gear.

Also on my list are the usuals of 7-Eleven and Motorolla, not because of the drugs (I don't know if they were bad or not) but because they just look so 80s' (yes, I am also putting together some classic Magnum PI outfits .... ).

The team in American Flyers, is that a real team. Schraver Sport of something

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Gewiss-Ballan - they were doped to the gills, although they got away with it.

Mr. 60% Bjarne Riis was one of the riders, along with 'where is he now' Berzin, Urgrumov, Argentin, etc...

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
had Simpson left

St. Rafael at the time of his death? Was he riding for Peugeot? Because Anquetil was an unashamed doper and Simpson was on the squad as well for a while but I think he'd transferred before his demise on Ventoux

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Asking who was the worst doper team of the period is kind of like asking who had the best perfect score on a test. The ones most people would associate with doping are Festina and probably Mercatone. But you can just throw a dart at a list of teams. Carrera and Gewiss seemed to have the most comprehensive programs but everyone was doing something.

I like Ariostea because it's very visible so the drivers will have no excuse in court. I also like Once for that reason and because my eyesight sucks it's also truth in labeling when I am out riding and someone foolishly gets on my wheel to be inadvertently lead through all sorts of debris.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
pretty sure he was on Peugeot - although riding for the 'UK National TdF Team' - when he popped his clogs on the Ventoux.

atpjunkie said:
St. Rafael at the time of his death? Was he riding for Peugeot? Because Anquetil was an unashamed doper and Simpson was on the squad as well for a while but I think he'd transferred before his demise on Ventoux

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
That would be Festina, although Vino's team seems intent on taking their crown.

:rolleyes:

· Registered
5,671 Posts
although the worst doper may never be caught in the sense of testing positive/suspensions, it's pretty clear that anyone who does well these days is going to be viewed suspiciously by most fans who know the sport. Also, the worst dopers are going to be those who have a sudden rise in abilities, and often fall away just as fast (Berzin, Beloki). Also, really spetacular rides are going to be viewed with supicion-like Valverde's finish in some of the classics this year. I'd expect a guy who just finishes a 1km uphill sprint to look at least a bit winded when they finish...

At some point, you've got to figure that the playing field is at least pretty level anyway given how rampant PEDs are likely in pro peloton. So, even if Armstrong was doping in 99, he still blew away Zulle, who later admitted to EPO use.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
jeffreyg said:
I think it was 91, could be wrong, the entire PDM team was under suspicion of doping, Rual Alcala, Sean Kelly etc… some of the biggest names in cycling at the time. It has even been suggested that their team doctor was the one who introduced EPO to cycling. The team was allowed to bow out of the tour with a mystery virus to avoid the bad press a scandal would bring to the tour.

Their team bike, the black and white concorde squadra was my absolute dream bike when I was a kid.

Here is a pic of Alcala I took at the 2nd tour de trump
I bought a PDM Concorde back in the late 80s. Didn't know what I was buying... Rode it for years and finally sold it to a friend of a friend.

Ran across the same guy a few years later and my once pristine baby was beat to crap! I about cried!

When I bought it, I had visions of building it up with C-Record just like the team bike. I quickly figgered out my budget wouldn't allow that and ended up with a mix o' Shimano parts on it instead.

Still miss that bike and my SL Battaglin I got a buncha years later.

M

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.